Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mmowin View Post
    So i've been watching Twitch for a while now but something that im starting to notice is a lot of my favorite streamers are starting to piss me off with their constant selling out. I'm on your stream to watch some gameplay NOT for you to try to sell me some crappy service i dont have any need for. And the really weird thing is they know they are selling out and have no shame whatsover. What's is going on?
    When you get old enough, you'll realize that attempting to capitalize on your talents isn't always a bad idea.

Deleted
    - - - Updated - - -

I never understood the appeal of watching someone else live their life or game. Nor do I understand how people throw donations at these people for acting like retards and whores all day. Streamers generally have the same entertainment strategy and content value of a Scary Movie 5.

I did love one though. But that was over 12 years ago. Guess it's the generation gap.

10+ Year Old Account
    If my sole source of income was relying on the good will of a bunch of random people, I'd be pretty adamant about reminding them too.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    You know what's real entertainment? Playing the games yourself. Which was what they were made for, funnily enough.
    In your opinion... also maybe said person can't afford the game straight away, but wants to see it, theres market for it, so it exists. Not to mention, maybe it doesn't even matter what the game is, maybe they watch for the streamer, some streamers are super fun to watch, just like a comedian is. No need to try and be high and mighty, just because you don't enjoy something or believe your way is better.

Quote Originally Posted by shrunken View Post
    This is a very emotional post in response to a realistic, mature observation that streaming video games isn't a job. You may need to reconsider your priorities, and maybe even consider taking a break from video game forums and games in general.

Very sorry to see what a generally harmless hobby has reduced you to .
    >Do thing
    >Get paid

It really is that simple. If someone wants to pay me for shitting on a canvas once a day, then that's a job.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    I'm probably older than most of the people on this forum. But the differences are that a) television ads couldn't infect your TV, b) ads weren't intrusive and you could turn off the TV, mute it or change the channel and c) random people couldn't just throw what they wanted on TV and expect to get paid for it.

My issue with it is that they're effectively forcing people to "pay" for something without their permission, regardless of the quality of the content. It's the customer that decides whether or not something is worth paying for, not the manufacturer. Ads remove that variable altogether. If people want to make a "career" out of recording themselves playing video games, they can throw it behind a paywall. That will show the true value of their "product".
    I doubt you are older than me.

I have no idea what you are talking about when you say TV ads aren't intrusive. No streamer could get away with showing 5 continuous minutes of ads. On the internet you can, very obviously, turn the streamer off. It is not mandatory in any sense. That is a very strange thing to say, I think you need to clarify what you meant.

I don't know what you mean when you say random people couldn't throw what they wanted on TV. That's what reallity TV is, random people thrown on TV. Even the worst streamers are more entertaining than the morons on celebrity love island or big brother or whatever.

Regarding paywalls: I don't stream but I have a youtube channel and a paywall for early access to content. The paywall is what allows me to continue providing the free content. If I didn't actually like/care about my youtube subs and was just money-focused I would just paywall everything. People will pay for quality information.
    I charge $10 a month-you need 100,000 views to make that much in youtube ad income. While I have some videos with over 100,000 views it is far from easy getting those numbers without resorting to clickbait.

When everyone else on youtube/twitch/other social platform figures out how much more money you can make with a paywall, then they will mostly stop creating free content altogether. That will be a very sad day.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Glitch View Post
    In your opinion... also maybe said person can't afford the game straight away, but wants to see it, theres market for it, so it exists. Not to mention, maybe it doesn't even matter what the game is, maybe they watch for the streamer, some streamers are super fun to watch, just like a comedian is. No need to try and be high and mighty, just because you don't enjoy something or believe your way is better.
    Like most things, 90% of it is shit, 10% of it is good.

For any one genuinely trying to understand this I'd have a look at Nora Sunstrider's stream. She's more entertaining than most people are working from a script.

So i've been watching Twitch for a while now but something that im starting to notice is a lot of my favorite streamers are starting to piss me off with their constant selling out. I'm on your stream to watch some gameplay NOT for you to try to sell me some crappy service i dont have any need for. And the really weird thing is they know they are selling out and have no shame whatsover. What's is going on?
    They are working, trying to earn a living. if its shit, don't watch it and they'll have to adapt, if you enjoy it, shut up and be entertained.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then stop? Stop following them, as you aren't wishing them for further themselves. Some streamers are attempting to make a business out of their product, and that needs some sort of income. If they believe they are able to, then that is their freedom.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

The biggest problem i have is with those that endorse stuff that they themself never would use.

Im totally fine with those that endorse stuff that they use and if something broke they would get and use, but on the other side i still understand those that endorse everthing that pays them i just don´t respect or would support those streamers.

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    I charge $10 a month-you need 100,000 views to make that much in youtube ad income. While I have some videos with over 100,000 views it is far from easy getting those numbers without resorting to clickbait.

When everyone else on youtube/twitch/other social platform figures out how much more money you can make with a paywall, then they will mostly stop creating free content altogether. That will be a very sad day.
    I really doubt that many people would pay the equivalent of a netflix/sky/amazon/whatever sub each month to watch one streamer/youtuber.
    If they do this they will kill their channel.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glitch View Post
    You do know that wanting to see the game before you buy it means they think they'd have more fun with it because they're going to buy it instead of watching it, which is proving my point? Also wanting to watch a streamer doesn't mean that they think it it's more fun than playing the game. Try again.

Streams I notice go though phases. When they start out they just are happy you are there. When they get a little consistancy they are still happy you are there but are happy to take your money (and its a business after all so ok). Then they get a larger more consistant viewership and go full sell out thinking they will be Sodapop by the end of the month. Usually at this point they lose some following and either go bitter and hateful or go back to the roots of people being happy they are there. It usually rocks back and forth between the sellout mode and bitter/roots cycle a few times before they either just quit, go full sell out, or stick with the roots. Usually the ones that get in the cycle of sticking to there roots end up enjoying themselves, building a good/friendly community, and a pretty penny of pocket change. Sure at this point they can sell out once in a while by selling t-shirts or give aways with certain things that get them viewership for ad times but they stick to the roots most of the time.

End of the day they are there trying to make money. Most of them think "play video games and make money! Its great" But eventually they realize that it is infact a job. They have to "work" to do what they are doing. Often play games they dont want to play sometimes. Sometimes do things they don't actually want to all the time. Play when they aren't feeling well. Not have much of a life away from the computer. Then the constant worry of subs and viewers living and having no job or bread basket to fall back on. Its stressful.
    Last edited by Low Hanging Fruit; 2017-07-18 at 01:29 PM.