Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum

Do americans know what canadians calll these people?

We call them first nations people..what do americans call them? I still find it very awkward regardless. Is it aboriginals, natives, indians, first nation people, indigenous people?

I can't speak for all parts of the country, but around here we call them by their tribe. I don't think I've ever heard anyone call them Indians (residents where I live) and the first time I ever heard First Nation was watching a Canadian tv show many years ago.

Why would we care what Canadians call them? Seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Native Americans.
    Yep. /10char

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Native Americans.

native american makes sense to me.

What people? What are you talking about? The people who were here already when settlers from Europe came over but had no more right to the land than they did because they themselves came from Asia over a land bridge?

Why does it matter? I suppose I call them Indians or Native Americans, although I have never ran into one, not a lot of them on the East Coast.

Native Americans, American Indians, Inuits/Alaskan Natives

15+ Year Old Account
    Indians. I don't care if people say that's wrong because i refuse to switch terms once I learn one. It's pancakes and soda, you animals.

10+ Year Old Account
    wouldn't saying indian get your ass kicked?

Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    What people? What are you talking about? The people who were here already when settlers from Europe came over but had no more right to the land than they did because they themselves came from Asia over a land bridge?

Why does it matter? I suppose I call them Indians or Native Americans, although I have never ran into one, not a lot of them on the East Coast.
    Modern Europeans genetically descend from three major migrations; farmers from the Fertile Crescent, Northern Eurasian hunter-gatherers and Indo-Europeans (who may or may not have domesticated the horse).

Does that make them non-native to Europe?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Modern Europeans genetically descend from three major migrations; farmers from the Fertile Crescent, Northern Eurasian hunter-gatherers and Indo-Europeans (who may or may not have domesticated the horse).

i'm talking about north america.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayburner View Post
    We call them first nations people..what do americans call them? I still find it very awkward regardless. Is it aboriginals, natives, indians, first nation people, indigenous people?
    In Québec, we call them Indians or autochtones. Premières Nations is more a word to refer to the political /social /cultural body that unites all natives.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baine View Post
    In Québec, we call them Indians or autochtones. Premières Nations is more a word to refer to the political /social /cultural body that unites all natives.
    i hear ya, but still awkward when the topic comes uup.

10+ Year Old Account
    Native Americans. I don't like the term, but it is what it is.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

native americans is the general term, though often they are identified by tribe instead

you do sometimes hear 'first nation' used, but it seems much less popular than in canada

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post

Well, pretty much everything evolved from something else and moved from one area to another. That's why I get bothered when someone says "America is Native Americans land, and whites from Europe stole it" I also get bothered when people cry about "invasive" species. Everything was "invasive" at some point. For example people who go around hunting Iguanas in Florida because they are "invasive" South Florida is a good environment for them, they most likely would have gotten there eventually one day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baine View Post
    We also say "Amérindiens", although we hear that word less these days.

And then there are the Inuits, who are in their own class, somehow.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Quote Originally Posted by Blur4stuff View Post
    I can't speak for all parts of the country, but around here we call them by their tribe. I don't think I've ever heard anyone call them Indians (residents where I live) and the first time I ever heard First Nation was watching a Canadian tv show many years ago.
    That's because we have a few more left, including Inuits, despite the genocide our ancestors attempted. Nova Scotia even had a scalping law at some point.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genoci...genous_peoples

And yes it is kinda sad I don't know more names than: Huron, Mi'kmak, Metis, Inuit, Apache (surely in the West part), Mohawk. We had some knowledge but only from the view point of French <-> British wars.

But look like a good source or knowledge for stater:

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.c...iginal-people/
    Last edited by ipaq; 2017-07-16 at 11:32 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Red Indians, but you do not get many in Britain. We have lots of Indians, just not the Red ones.