Help me understand Prot Pally vs Kil'jaeden

Hi All,

Just wanting to gain some insight to how a prot pally deals with felclaws on heroic Kil'jaeden?

Here are some logs of our wipes (it was the end of raid) and we just wanted to see the fight on heroic, however our pally was getting trucked by his felclaws. Looking at other guilds, it doesn't seem like their pallys are taking the same amount of dmg?

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...iew=analytical

Trying to compare logs, is a bit difficult as there is two separate sets of felclaws hitting the tank at the same time (according to logs) does anyone know why?

Thank you in advance!

Our prot pally went Brewmaster for the fight.
    Owner of ONEAzerothTV
    Tanking, Blood DK Mythic+ Pugging, Soloing and WoW Challenges alongside other discussions about all things in World of Warcraft
    ONEAzerothTV

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Honro View Post
    Hi All,

Just wanting to gain some insight to how a prot pally deals with felclaws on heroic Kil'jaeden?

Here are some logs of our wipes (it was the end of raid) and we just wanted to see the fight on heroic, however our pally was getting trucked by his felclaws. Looking at other guilds, it doesn't seem like their pallys are taking the same amount of dmg?

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports...iew=analytical

Trying to compare logs, is a bit difficult as there is two separate sets of felclaws hitting the tank at the same time (according to logs) does anyone know why?

Thank you in advance!
    KIl'jaeden overall seems a bit buggy and will somethimes decide to hit twice at t same tim which jsut wrecks palains in particular since we usually have lower HP than other tanks and cant soak it in the same way specially if were already low on health from before it happens

1) Keep up SotR throughout the Felclaws buff.
    Logs
    His SotR buff is falling off for the last couple of hits of Felclaws. The last felclaws hurt the most, so it's falling off at the worst time. Make sure he keeps up SotR the entire time.

2) Alternate his other cooldowns during Felclaws.
    He can layer additional mitigation on top of SotR by alternating his other cooldowns. Felclaws will happen about every 50 seconds during P2 and P3.

For every odd Felclaw he has to tank he can:
    *Eye of Tyr
    *Animated Exoskeleton (near the end, during 4th or 5th felclaws)

For every even Felclaw he has to tank he can:
    *Ardent Defender
    *Avenging Wrath + Levi's Hunger (right around when Felclaws begins)

3) Sometimes it's the other tanks fault.
    Log
    On this attempt, your prot pally tanked Felclaws from ~0:28 to ~0:36. Notice that he gets meleed again at ~0:38. He shouldn't be taking that melee hit, because he has five stacks of the debuff and it will absolutely truck him. Your other tank needs to taunt right after that fifth set of Felclaws lands. Your prot pally got trucked here, because his co-tank was slow on the taunt.

1) Keep up SotR throughout the Felclaws buff.
    Logs
    His SotR buff is falling off for the last couple of hits of Felclaws. The last felclaws hurt the most, so it's falling off at the worst time. Make sure he keeps up SotR the entire time.

2) Alternate his other cooldowns during Felclaws.
    He can layer additional mitigation on top of SotR by alternating his other cooldowns. Felclaws will happen about every 50 seconds during P2 and P3.

For every odd Felclaw he has to tank he can:
    *Eye of Tyr
    *Animated Exoskeleton (near the end, during 4th or 5th felclaws)

For every even Felclaw he has to tank he can:
    *Ardent Defender
    *Avenging Wrath + Levi's Hunger (right around when Felclaws begins)

3) Sometimes it's the other tanks fault.
    Log
    On this attempt, your prot pally tanked Felclaws from ~0:28 to ~0:36. Notice that he gets meleed again at ~0:38. He shouldn't be taking that melee hit, because he has five stacks of the debuff and it will absolutely truck him. Your other tank needs to taunt right after that fifth set of Felclaws lands. Your prot pally got trucked here, because his co-tank was slow on the taunt.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Honro View Post

they reroll druid
    ill probably be infracted for this post

I use my shoulder legendary that gives guaranteed 25% reduction on every FC and liberally spread 2 charges of SoTR over the duration, i barely take considerable damage.

Felclaws > Artifact + SoTR > Felclaws > Felclaws > SoTR > Felclaws

If i have dot from soaking i throw occasional ardent for extra 20% off.

--

Also your paladin is using seraphim and consecrated ground talents (at least he logged out with it in armory) seraphim is a death sentance on KJ since it takes away 2 out of your 3 SoTR charges and gives you medium dps boost, you can't survive fellclaws with only one SoTR, RP would be more beneficial. Consecrated ground is a net healing lost on this fight since a) there is nothing to kite and b) there is medium movement for tank (singularity, repositioning) he is just depriving passive beneficial healing to himself and to the raid.
    zug zug

what is it paladin, one zug is not enough for ya?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterOfNone View Post
    lore should be voluntary to the game. not obligatory.

As others have pointed out, the key is to have SotR up during the 2nd half of Felclaws. This is pretty much mandatory, preferably with either Eye of Tyr or Ardent Defender as well (I personally use the shoulders, so I can just use Eye of Tyr, but others can just alternate).

Deleted
    using mitigation for big damage? that's wild

As far as good trinkets for this fight, Immortality Deck (full time armor, random amount) and Reliquary of the Damned are both really good. As Evilmoo stated, that is a pretty solid breakdown of what you should be doing, throwing in AD/Kings/Reliquary if you need to. If your raid comp has hunters/mages/other immunities soaking the armas then you as a tank can just focus on tanking KJ.

I never bought the Immortality deck on my paladin so I have been using Leviathans hunger and just popping it after the first felclaws hit and letting it heal the shit out of me.

Micro manage your CD's. Keep SOTR up for all 5 swipes. Once i hit 3 stacks, i use AD or call for an external. Make sure the other tank taunts immediately once you get your 5th stack. We 3 tanked it our first kill because i had the same issue. He wrecked me. Just had to baby sit cooldowns better and it is pretty good now.