Page 1 of 3
LastLast

In a world were material things are essentially free or close to it

Say it's 100-200 years from now and you're a 25 year old person. Anything you want is extremely cheap or free, there are automated factories that make things using something like 3D printers. You want a PS11? You ask your personal internet assistant for a PS11 and it's delivered to you by drone and it costs you pennies if anything at all.

One way to make money is to design something people want, you advertise your product on the internet and people order it and it's shipped to them. For example a doorknob that looks like a starfish. Manufacturing things to sell cost you very little money to free depending on what it is.

What would you design? What would people who have everything want?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

So...why skip over the obvious "what's the point of doing things to 'make money' in the first place" question? In essentially the Star Trek world with replicators, people would probably end up looking for something other than "making money" as a motivation for their daily lives.

Deleted
    Everything free would mean no more motivation and makes people depressed to a point where humanity would collapse.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Read Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Everything free would mean no more motivation and makes people depressed to a point where humanity would collapse.
    Says you. When I was unemployed I did a lot of walking, exercising, and overall just focusing on my health. It's a lot easier to do when your freetime isn't ripped apart by 50+ hour work weeks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zafire View Post
    Says you. When I was unemployed I did a lot of walking, exercising, and overall just focusing on my health. It's a lot easier to do when your freetime isn't ripped apart by 50+ hour work weeks.
    Everything in moderation. A moderate amount of free time after having worked for a long time is nice. Having all the free time after not having ever to work gets boring, depressing and frustrating.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoli View Post
    Everything in moderation. A moderate amount of free time after having worked for a long time is nice. Having all the free time after not having ever to work gets boring, depressing and frustrating.
    Only if you need someone else to tell you what to do with your life.
    If you had all the free time in the world, I'm sure you would prefer to find something to do rather than being bored.
    Boredom itself is a symptom of a lazy mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I wonder if she ever visits Jisreal. It’s like Isreal, but for Jews.

Such a society would be based on popularity contests. So I would make stuff that the "cool kids" want. Like fidget spinners and similar stuff.
    Last edited by Mittens; 2017-07-17 at 01:53 PM.

Land would still have value. I assume populations will continue to decline because of the current trends and things like sex bots and lack of purpose.

The house would be practically free but land is still a limited resource.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Why would you need land if you can live in virtual reality? Get a matrix pod and you are set for life.

I'd design art, as art is unique.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoli View Post
    I still don't know about that. I was out of work for almost two years because of a meniscus tear (long story) and I never got bored. Still spent a lot of time outdoors. Played a lot of video games. Socialized quite a bit, which is something I don't normally do. Etc. Retired people seem to do just fine.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    So...why skip over the obvious "what's the point of doing things to 'make money' in the first place" question? In essentially the Star Trek world with replicators, people would probably end up looking for something other than "making money" as a motivation for their daily lives.
    For the betterment, enrichment and progress of society. Just like in Star Trek.

10+ Year Old Account
    Custom dildos. Gem encrusted horse dicks!
    Last edited by Medusa Cascade; 2017-07-17 at 07:06 PM.

I would design sex bots.

I'd find something that still benefits from having an imperfect human touch.

Maybe take up Carpentry, most professional old school carpenters were artists with their buildings

10+ Year Old Account
    You are correct, we would as a society need to drive people towards other outlets to say motivated. That is not very likely.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    You are correct, we would as a society need to drive people towards other outlets to say motivated. That is not very likely.
    Just make everyone sexy, the inevitable genitalia battles will keep people busy

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seiko Sora View Post
    Just make everyone sexy, the inevitable genitalia battles will keep people busy
    The future you desire is absolute madness, but intriguing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Life must be pretty hellish if your only motivation in life is to work so you can get stuff.