Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    Perhaps we could find some kind a synthetic substitute like video games or hobbies but most people would not handle a world where everything was free well.
    What a horrible idea to have a paradise where living is just about fun and education, right? Just imagine.. people could rejoice.

While the world could be so horribly miserable!

[/sarcasm]

Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    What a horrible idea to have a paradise where living is just about fun and education, right? Just imagine.. people could rejoice.

While the world could be so horribly miserable!

[/sarcasm]
    I don't think you understand people very well... When people have nothing to do they tend to just get restless. It doesn't create the paradise you envision.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    I don't think you understand people very well... When people have nothing to do they tend to just get restless. It doesn't create the paradise you envision.
    Noone tried yet.

You can have a lot to do without the need to produce toys in a factory. You can educate yourself. You can play as many games as you would like.

What if life was about collecting knowledge and having fun instead of serving in armies as cannon fodder or factories to make some rich even more rich?
    Last edited by mmoc903ad35b4b; 2017-07-18 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Everything free would mean no more motivation and makes people depressed to a point where humanity would collapse.
    All the time you have in life depends on how you use said free time. Some things cannot be easily made in 3d prints. Some things can also be essentric. I doubt there will ever come a time people don't find odd habits and activities. During my unemployment, I actively worked on my writing skills and worked on specific short stories. Some people focus on their health, others have also found other talents.

Your free time really determine your character depending on how you spend it. If monetary things were so easily gained, our efforts would be spent elsewhere. But even in these days people still waste their potential even with high cost goals like said PS4s or things like that I cannot afford because I'm saving money for my own place and hopefully move out in.

Quote Originally Posted by rym View Post
    Noone tried yet.

You can have a lot to do without the need to produce toys in a factory. You can educate yourself. You can play as many games as you would like.

What if life was about collecting knowledge and having fun instead of serving in armies as cannon fodder or factories to make some rich even more rich?
    Then I imagine communist countries would be happier places. A small number of individuals may thrive in such a worlf but the majority wouldn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    I'd design a headband that can hold a pistol to the side of your head to make it easier to kill ourselves. Because holy fuck a world without motivation sounds depressing.

This idea that people would be depressed to death if they don't have to work doesn't sound right to me. I think it happens mostly to people who did work their entire life and haven't managed to develop tastes and hobbies to be able to consume a large amount of free time; and because society looks down on people who are not productive, generates guilt.

I think that a society where the rule is to not be productive, and with people who have not lived in our age and therefore have never been in contact with the productive way of life, this society would be able to thrive just the same.

Just like most other animals.

10+ Year Old Account
    There are plenty of motivations and endeavors that people pursue that don't have material gain. Personal satisfaction, fame, renown etc

In a situation where personal needs were met, and people could do what they wanted, we would probably move towards a society of mutual collaboration of research/development, exploration, art and entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoli View Post
    Everything in moderation. A moderate amount of free time after having worked for a long time is nice. Having all the free time after not having ever to work gets boring, depressing and frustrating.
    Free time is only boring, depressing and frustrating if you make it so. Take up education if you want, or volunteer, or teach. Develop hobbies. Otherwise travel, or just enjoy life.
    Last edited by Netherspark; 2017-07-18 at 08:41 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aeula View Post
    I'd design a headband that can hold a pistol to the side of your head to make it easier to kill ourselves. Because holy fuck a world without motivation sounds depressing.
    So you have never had sex before, or masturbated, because pleasure isn't a motivator to you: it's only enjoyable when you have to pay for it, when a cost is attached.

You have never smelt a flower, taken a hike, watched a sunset, looked at an attractive naked person - because aesthetic beauty is not a motivator to you. Beauty only motivates you when you can deprive it from others (scarcity).

You have never played a competitive game with your friends or family because victory is not a motivator to you.

You have never read a book, or watched a documentary before - because knowledge in itself is not a motivator for you: only when it grants you power over others.

Really? You honestly think in a world where costs were eliminated, you would be depressed? What about self-betterment, what about exhilaration, pleasure, purpose, progress, discovery, mastery, autonomy, or social interactions?
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Everything free would mean no more motivation and makes people depressed to a point where humanity would collapse.
    Star Trek says to differ.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoli View Post
    Everything in moderation. A moderate amount of free time after having worked for a long time is nice. Having all the free time after not having ever to work gets boring, depressing and frustrating.
    Nobody can give you purpose in your life, you have to find that for yourself.

"Only boring people get bored" - Ruth Burke

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    Star Trek says to differ.
    So sayeth The Picard. All hail The Picard.
    Youtube ~ Yvaelle ~ Twitter