Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

France overtakes US as a "soft power" survey says.

The annual Soft Power 30 rankings have revealed France rising to first place, while the UK remains in second place and the US sinks to third.

Strategic communications consultancy Portland has published the findings of its Soft Power 30 2017 rankings for countries around the world, based on factors ranging from culture, government, enterprise, digital and education, to cuisine, friendliness, luxury goods, foreign policy and liveability.

With data from objective sources such as embassies and the World Bank, and perception polls from 11,000 people living in 25 countries, the findings result in the “world’s most comprehensive comparative assessment of global soft power”.

France’s greatest strengths are its vast diplomatic network and cultural offering, which encompasses unrivalled restaurants, a flourishing film sector, and some of the world’s most-visited museums and galleries.

In second place, for the second year running, is the UK, while slipping from first place in 2016 to third place this year, is the US.

https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...gs-soft-power/

I watch French Movies and TV all the time.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

The viewers of game of thrones alone would surpass their combined totals...

This survey only accounts for being the top power if you take a extremely narrow look on culture.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    I watch French Movies and TV all the time.
    Not sure if it's sarcasm.. hmm.. I mean really? I guess a black and white movie about a mime who fell in love with a flower could be "fun"..

"Amelie" is a really good movie, I can't think of anything else.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Parisstan is a total shit hole now. And that's all I know about France.
    People working 2 jobs in the US (at least one part-time) - 7.8 Million (Roughly 4.9% of the workforce)

People working 2 full-time jobs in the US - 360,000 (0.2% of the workforce)

Average time worked weekly by the US Workforce - 34.5 hours

Deleted
    Wanna know something funny Deruyter?? id rather have "hard power" which is:

Economic sanctions
    Trade embargos
    Physical military intervention
    The actual threat of military or economic force

U.S will always be the number 1 powerhouse in the world, so france can keep the soft power which equals ZERO Power.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    What in the holy hell is soft power
    unemployment rate and number of muslim only ghettos. obviously nobody can beat sweden but france is trying

How much people from other countries like you. It's quite useless when you are in decline as France is.

Quote Originally Posted by brixon View Post
    U.S will always be the number 1 powerhouse in the world, so france can keep the soft power which equals ZERO Power.

You can keep believing that if you want, but just keep in mind that every single powerhouses/empires in the past ended and got replaced by something else. History always repeat itself, USA will also see that (might take some time, might be tomorow, who knows!)

7+ Year Old Account
    If we're going by softness and not total power then how is France softer than Canada?

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    [IMG]http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/mp/6Ty8loUnc1ol.jpg[IMG]

"Amelie" is a really good movie, I can't think of anything else.
    My Francophile friend plays that movie too much... I made her change it and watched "Manon of the Spring". I'm suppose to watch a newer one, The Intouchables.

Quote Originally Posted by primalmatter View Post
    The viewers of game of thrones alone would surpass their combined totals...

This survey only accounts for being the top power if you take an extremely narrow look on culture.
    I agree with this. The article or the report is severely downplaying how much of American culture gets exported in music, movies and tv shows.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    World view influence using means such as diplomacy, culture, political values, foreign policies... anything but military.

It is not surprising that the US would drop in the department of political influence, their foreign policy has been disastrous. Trump has had very bad phone calls with leader of many allied nations (like australia), even hanged up the phone once. The US even withdrew from the paris climate accord, a move that has been meet with discontent everywhere.

As for the UK, i guess it's a result of brexit. People see the UK isolating itself, playing the nationalism card. Beside, the recent election seems to indicate the UK doesn't know what it wants. In or out EU, no one know what the UK really thinks.
    Last edited by Vankrys; 2017-07-18 at 04:49 PM.

Deleted
    Cool, a thread full of butthurt Americans, stroking their hurt ego.

(Infracted)
    Last edited by mmocc02219cc8b; 2017-07-18 at 06:08 PM.

This is one of those things I look at and say:

Who gives a fuck?

I can only come up with two answers:

People that saw America go down in something and want to some how exploit it for there childish reasons.

and..

People that spin it into "Look they cryin bro" when they are the ones actin like a bitch.

Deleted
    Whatever your exact definition of 'Soft Power' may be, China behind Portugal, Greece and Poland means it's not questionable, it's worthless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotutha View Post
    Yep rather amusing!

Considering how much french music and movies have both increased in capacity and quality over the years why not grant them this. Not even looking at the diplomatic side of things.

Also people would be rather surprised how many tv series they watch are actual foreign remakes in general.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    based on factors ranging from culture, government, enterprise, digital and education, to cuisine, friendliness, luxury goods, foreign policy and liveability.
    How the fuck is France #1 in that list?

The country is a US lapdog when it comes to foreign policy, the French are definitely not friendly to foreigners and the country is constantly a victim of terrorist attacks and there are huge social issues with ghettos etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

How do you figure? Lots of Americans don't give 2 shits about europe or its people. Many of the ones that do said they would leave the US if/when Trump is elected. Yet they are still here. france/europe can have fun with their immigrants and their "soft power culture".

Deleted
    And if i may ask, which shit hole country do you come from?? im british but i was to choose to live in either france or america, it would be america easily, far more beautiful states than ghetto ridden france.

Plus americans dont have to be butthurt, they are a "hard power", they can sanction any country on trade they want, they can send their military anywhere etc, yes superpowers/empires fall but it wont be anytime soon.