Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    If someone constantly talks about things for no real reason, I like to talk about things that make them uncomfortable. It's one thing to speak about relationships when there is big news, but nobody wants to hear every little detail. If you start talking about how your food took too long when you and your girlfriend were out at dinner last night, and she was upset all evening, then I'm going to start talking about my penis, the joys of knitting, or my plan on how I would murder them and dispose of the body if the need arose.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    If someone constantly talks about things for no real reason, I like to talk about things that make them uncomfortable. It's one thing to speak about relationships when there is big news, but nobody wants to hear every little detail. If you start talking about how your food took too long when you and your girlfriend were out at dinner last night, and she was upset all evening, then I'm going to start talking about my penis, the joys of knitting, or my plan on how I would murder them and dispose of the body if the need arose.
    I would love to witness such a conversation

Must be a girl thing because I've never known a man to endlessly discuss his relationship. In fact it's barely discussed unless it's to complain about it. We guys either talk about work, football, games or boobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    Must be a girl thing because I've never known a man to endlessly discuss his relationship. In fact it's barely discussed unless it's to complain about it. We guys either talk about work, football, games or boobs.
    Yeah it may be. It's also really, really obnoxious. No one should base their life/self-esteem around their relationship.

I have two friends who started dating each other recently which I think highlights the differences between the genders in regards to dating (I am closer to the male friend).

Female friend: sends all of our friends a group PM, announcing their new relationship in ALL CAPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and at least that many exclamation marks. Then writes a really long paragraph discussing their new couplehood, how happy she is, and their plans for the weekend. Facebook status changed to "in a relationship".

Male friend: We're in the car driving. He goes, "so me and J are dating now I guess". I go, "yeah, how's that going?" He shrugs. We go back to talking about comic books.

Sometimes I think I should have been born a dude.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh men will discuss their relationships -- When they end, and they won't shut up about it for a very long time.

You'll see it demonstrated even on Social Media where they'll go on an endless rant about the entire female population as being horrible creatures because of how one person did them wrong.

It's not a matter of which sex will discuss their relationship at length....it's when they will.
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Yesss indeed. I feel like with women, many of them base their self-esteem on dating someone/who they're dating. This probably applies to some guys, too ("trophy wives").
    Well for me, mine comes from what accessories I wear and how many games I've played and anime I've watched. Plus it use to include server first kills. Ah to be totally messed up in the head

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Oh men will discuss their relationships -- When they end, and they won't shut up about it for a very long time.

You'll see it demonstrated even on Social Media where they'll go on an endless rant about the entire female population as being horrible creatures because of how one person did them wrong.

It's not a matter of which sex will discuss their relationship at length....it's when they will.
    Oh jeez. When I went to cali a few weeks ago, I visited a guy friend who had broken up with the love of his life 2 months prior. He was still looking at pictures of her and wouldn't shut up about her when we all went to dinner and he really brought the mood down. I felt bad for him, but pls dood - we're at an anime convention so perk up.
    Last edited by Video Games; 2017-07-18 at 05:56 AM.

I would love to witness such a conversation
    I'll be honest, weird topics like that have made some of the best conversations. One of my favorite people in the world I met at a house party 20 years ago. I was hosting a party, like we did almost every week, and we always had strangers show up (friends of friends of friends). My roommate was more the loud drunk type, and I was the quiet conversationalist. As I'm chilling, some girl whom I had never met before comes up to me, and says, "I was just sitting there, watching people, and planning how I'd kill each and every one of them, then I saw you doing the exact same thing."

We sat and talked about murdering our friends in elaborate ways for several hours, and have been close friends ever since. It's still one of the best conversations I have ever had.

10+ Year Old Account
    Has anyone else experienced this? How do you handle the situation?

I have certain friends that will obsessively discuss their relationship, marriage, anniversary, engagement, impending nuptials, etc on social media or in person and it is NONSTOP, to the point of being nauseating. For example, I have one friend that has talked about her upcoming engagement EVERY DAY for the past several months, and she's not getting married until next June. If you express your happiness for them and try to change the subject, the conversation inevitably ends up back on the topic of relationships.

I love dating and healthy relationships and celebrating anniversaries, but holy crap some people take it to the extreme.
    i don't know i do not have friends.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Deleted
    Honestly, I only know of women talking about their realtionships. We men in general don't do this at all, unless it's about how often we "do it" or something lel.

10+ Year Old Account

I have certain friends that will obsessively discuss their relationship, marriage, anniversary, engagement, impending nuptials, etc on social media or in person and it is NONSTOP, to the point of being nauseating. For example, I have one friend that has talked about her upcoming engagement EVERY DAY for the past several months, and she's not getting married until next June. If you express your happiness for them and try to change the subject, the conversation inevitably ends up back on the topic of relationships.

I love dating and healthy relationships and celebrating anniversaries, but holy crap some people take it to the extreme.
    My first guess is that this is the most important thing in their life, and possibly, the only thing they have going on. They may simply just not have anything else of value to talk about.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by xChurch View Post
    I'd guess it's to do with a lack of anything else of substance to talk about. If they do everything with their SO then everything they talk about will involve them. Same deal with parents who drone on and on about their kids.
    ^ Just like that.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

The simplest answer would be them being obsessed about relationships.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Deleted
    Because they have nothing else to say and are generally boring people

- - - Updated - - -

Personally whenever I am in a relationship I rarely discuss it because it's private

Some people are nothing outside of their relationship. It is what defines them.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it has to do with how good it feels to actually have someone like that in your life. When something feels good it puts you in a cheery mood and usually you enjoy talking about it. I have friends that have been with their girlfriends for a year and they still talk about it. To be honest it does get on my nerves a bit but it's not because I hate the fact that they're in relationships but more because it makes me question why is it taking me so long to find a girlfriend. I'm always nice, respectful, and I'd like to think I'm not that ugly there's certainly far uglier people out there. I've gotten close to having one like 2 times but both of those times I was led on and lied to. So you can imagine what that did to my confidence and self esteem.

It's a depressing feeling for me when I see everyone around me getting into serious relationships, having kids, buying their first apartment or house and I'm stuck here alone, not able to afford a place of my own yet, and feeling like I'm not going anywhere in life. So yeah that's pretty much why I hate hearing about relationships. Someday, whenever I find someone, I'll be a part of that club too but for now I'd rather not hear about it.

Deleted
    I think some people just like to focus on emotions more than on objective discussions.

At the end its a matter of preference.

10+ Year Old Account

It is in my personal experience. That the people who feel the need to inform everyone through their social media platforms how wonderful their relationship is. Usually its the exact opposite and is about to implode.

As for the people who never post anything about their relationship on social media are usually in a very healthy relationships.
    If i was riding a donkey down the road. And someone threw a rock and knocked me off. Would i be stoned off my ass?

They do it because they themselves are boring. Not much you can do about it, apart from politely trying to change the subject.

Some people their relationship is the main part of their life and they don't have much else to talk about.

Personally I tend to keep my relationship pretty internal.

10+ Year Old Account

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters