Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    Uhh, yes, it is, because listening to your radio doesn't require you to LOOK AT your radio and take your eyes off the road and your surroundings.

Radio is audio, it requires ears, deaf people are allowed to drive, they can't hear anything... Texting is visual, it requires eyes, blind people aren't allowed to drive.
    It isn't listen to the radio is still a distraction on the road and it messes up with your self awareness of other people around you need hearing when you're driving on the road when your other cars rolling towards you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Prove it.

This as well.
    Been doing it for 10 years, no accidents I'm still here. Other wise I wouldn't be here. Your turn.

Quote Originally Posted by want my Slimjim View Post
    Been doing it for 10 years, no accidents I'm still here. Other wise I wouldn't be here. Your turn.
    Anecdotes aren't proof. Strike 1.

Been doing it for 10 years, no accidents I'm still here. Other wise I wouldn't be here.
    I wouldn't go that far, it appears you may have suffered some damage to your brain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distracted_driving

Throughout the United States, over 3,000 deaths and 416,000 injuries annually can be attributed to distracted driving.[28] To further illustrate the seriousness of this "epidemic," driving while texting is about 4 times more likely to result in an accident than drinking while driving. Not only is distracted driving more likely to result in an accident, but the risk of injury requiring hospital visitation is 3–5 times greater than the rate for other accidents.

Yeah, it's not dangerous at all.

Again tell me how it puts people's lives in danger? It's no more dangerous than listening to your radio.
    Actually it is more dangerous than driving while drunk.

For some reason drunk driving is illegal. Wonder why.

Deleted
    That is not proof.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.politifact.com/oregon/sta...ime-it-takes-/

"Sending or reading a text takes your eyes off the road for 4.6 seconds. At 55 mph, that's like driving the length of an entire football field, blindfolded. It's extraordinarily dangerous."
    https://www.nhtsa.gov/research-data

Science and Stats > Anecdotal

Edit: Here's some bonus Russian dashcam footage. Count how many seconds it takes to crash from when you first notice something is going to happen. Also note that you KNOW something is going to happen. Imagine you're focusing on your phone for 4.6 seconds.
    Yeah... you've hit something. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b60pPA3TCCw
    Last edited by UnkLegacy; 2017-07-18 at 06:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Souls View Post
    I wouldn't go that far, it appears you may have suffered some damage to your brain.
    Don't judge. Might've been pre-existing condition. For some reason this doesn't come up on insurance forms tho.

You take your eyes off the road to "text" someone and you endanger others. Rule number one of driving, keep your eyes on the road.

10+ Year Old Account
    While I'm not going to embed this because it could be considered a gore video I will link it because it shows exactly what can happen if you text and drive.

This was put out a few years ago by the Tredegar Comprehensive School and Gwent Police in South-East Wales.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0LCmStIw9E
    “You're not to be so blind with patriotism that you can't face reality. Wrong is wrong, no matter who does it or says it.”― Malcolm X

I watch them fight and die in the name of freedom. They speak of liberty and justice, but for whom? -Ratonhnhaké:ton (Connor Kenway)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    I've almost been run over on pedestrian crossings more time than I can count by people looking down at their phones and only looking up or noticing they nearly killed me after I've kicked the side of their car as they drive past.
    Sounds like a town or a city, which makes it harder which would make no sense to do it there vs out in the country. Just because experience doesn't mean everyone else has the same. you most likely have had not almost been run over by people who text and drive more than people who almost run you over more doing the same thing.

There are people with tens of DUIs and are "still here". Your turn...

10+ Year Old Account
    It isn't listen to the radio is still a distraction on the road and it messes up with your self awareness of other people around you need hearing when you're driving on the road when your other cars rolling towards you.
    While listening to your surroundings may be a thing, texting removes visuals from the equation, which can lead to a lot more problems than listening to a radio.
    Texting while driving isn't a skill, it's a game of luck. If you have been doing it for 10 years, consider yourself and everyone on your path very lucky.

OP's been given plenty of sources.

He's choosing to be willfully ignorant. Considering how he self-identifies, that's not entirely surprising.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    You are what is called a statistical outlier. I knew a girl who never stopped at stops signs after midnight. She didn't see the point the chances of another car being on a back street that late at night was really low. She got in a wreck a week later.

It's not that you are endangering yourself I could careless. It's your careless of could maim or kill someone else. People have trouble walking and texting, this isn't even something a rational person with critical thinking would even want to discuss.
    There are more outliers than not. Around 99.999% of people who text and drive never hurt anyone. If anything that makes her the outlier. So why should I get fucked over cause she fucked up?

Seriously? The risks of distracted driving are well researched and documented.

Maybe start here.

https://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafe...ing/index.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Around 99.999% of people who text and drive never hurt anyone.
    I assume you have a source for that, other than your ass, of course.