Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

How powerful could a next gen system in 2019 or 2020 be?

Say the PS5 and the Xbox[insert weird name here] release holiday 2019. I know teraflops are a bad way to show performance, but lets use that metric anyways. Ps4 Pro is 4.2 tflops, and One X is 6 tflops. Is 10+ tflops realistic for a 400-500 dollar machine in 2-3 years? If its not at least 10, I wouldn't see it as a meaningful upgrade. How do they sell a "Next gen console when its only 2-2.5 times as powerful as the previous ones? Most consoles gens jumped 5-10 times. I guess a 10tflop console would meet that trend if you just look at OG Xbox One, and PS4, but im just curious what the next gen might look like?

Thoughts?

This is a good video to watch if u haven't yet.

If we are just talking about Tflops (there is more to it then that). Then I say around 10-12 each system with maybe a Ryzan CPU.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    This is a good video to watch if u haven't yet.

If we are just talking about Tflops (there is more to it then that). Then I say around 10-12 each system with maybe a Ryzan CPU.
    I guess having a much more modern cpu would be a bigger boost than a better gpu at that point.

Ryzen gen 2 8 core at 3.5ghz, something like an AMD Vega Gen 2 670/680 or 770/780, 16gb ram. 2TB Hyrbid drive. 499. Might be possible, but I see them losing money on something that powerful.

2019 and 2020 would just be half steps up from XB1X/PS4P tbh. That could very well be the case though, and they could phase out base models and keep compatibility with the Pro and X taking the place of the base systems as the cheap entry point.

The technology isn't going to be there yet for a massive jump. The XB1 and PS4 may very well survive until 2022 with maybe certain games becoming exclusive to the X or Pro if they ever get a substantial install base. But yea, if new consoles come in 2019 or 2020 they're not going to be that impressive compared to the Pro and X.

People keep talking about Ryzen but that shit is not realistic for consoles yet or even close. Those dies are fucking huge compared to what you currently see in consoles and would be expensive as fuck to mass produce with a GPU on a single APU.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    2019 and 2020 would just be half steps up from XB1X/PS4P tbh. That could very well be the case though, and they could phase out base models and keep compatibility with the Pro and X taking the place of the base systems as the cheap entry point.

The technology isn't going to be there yet for a massive jump. The XB1 and PS4 may very well survive until 2022 with maybe certain games becoming exclusive to the X or Pro if they ever get a substantial install base. But yea, if new consoles come in 2019 or 2020 they're not going to be that impressive compared to the Pro and X.

People keep talking about Ryzen but that shit is not realistic for consoles yet or even close. Those dies are fucking huge compared to what you currently see in consoles and would be expensive as fuck to mass produce with a GPU on a single APU.
    If you dont think Ryzen will power next gen, what cpu will? It has to be a Ryzen APU. They are not going to go intel. Its Ryzen or bust. We cant have another gen with a Jaguar chip.

To be honest this is what I am seeing at lease Sony doing from now on.

Why kill a huge part of ur market with a full gen release. Just have a half step so everyone can still play all games. PS4Pro dropping to $250 makes it highly affordable and they can just do a PS5 then a PS5Pro. I have a feeling (could be wrong) there will now always be a system that bridges the gap. So all games that get made can be bought by the most customers.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    If you dont think Ryzen will power next gen, what cpu will? It has to be a Ryzen APU. They are not going to go intel. Its Ryzen or bust. We cant have another gen with a Jaguar chip.
    Do you even understand what Jaguar is or how out dated it is? Puma succeeded Jaguar in 2014.

Ryzen is not a microarchitecture, it's a damn line of CPUs. The microarchitecture is Zen.

The fact you're talking about Ryzen like it's some architecture says it all. There will not be a Ryzen CPU in any consoles, it would cost way too much money. There can very well be a Zen CPU in consoles however. Do you understand the difference now?

I guess having a much more modern cpu would be a bigger boost than a better gpu at that point.

Ryzen gen 2 8 core at 3.5ghz, something like an AMD Vega Gen 2 670/680 or 770/780, 16gb ram. 2TB Hyrbid drive. 499. Might be possible, but I see them losing money on something that powerful.
    I think you're missing the entire thing that they will not be using standard issue chips, and will inevitably both Sony and Microsoft will purchase enough to keep consoles inline with expected prices. It wasn't a fluke that they nuked their prices from $400 and $500 to $300 baseline to $399 for the larger hdd etc. The simple fact is they will always buy enough and work a way into having cheaper parts than we would buy as a consumer.

Tl:dr Nothing will pass the Xbox One's release price tag.

Quote Originally Posted by VooDsXo View Post
    Tl:dr Nothing will pass the Xbox One's release price tag.
    IMO (and based on console history) above $400 hurts the console a great deal, Its why I don't see the XboxOne X doing all that well. $400 or less is the sweet spot and that isn't changing anytime soon.

Probably as powerful as a mid tier pc now

They seem to aim for as low as possible on the "acceptable" ladder so its still "acceptable" but "cheap (for them)". Then half way though the life cycle ask people to buy the system, again, that it really should have been to start and the "re-release" that takes one more step up the ladder for the same if not higher price.

I see it of course going a generation up on the video card used. Pretty typical these days but still well behind even mid PCs of 2019/2020. Something that will run 4k decently well I would imagine around 50-60fps on the games of the generation.

Then they will sell the rest of it on larger harddrives and ram that will still be well behind your typical PC of the day. But certainly more than what is currently seen in this gen's systems. It makes for good box music "4TB instead of 2TB" and "16gig of ram instead of 8gigs" ROCK AND ROLL!!! Type of shit. Anywhere they can deminstrate bigger numbers for minimal costs will certainly be exposed. It sells to less informed people and lets be honest most of the masses in less informed.

I wouldn't doubt blue-ray movie playing as well since that caused a little drama this go around. Backwards capitablity might be a selling point to again since they took it away too. Things they can add for next to nothing in costs but once again tack onto the box as additions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty strong, both the Pro and OneX will not compare.

I know its all about cpu and gpu but i really hope there is a substantial increase in load speeds, i remember the first time i bought a ssd and was like Holy hell, how did i ever live with out one off these, but yer consoles are all about costs so i guess that's a dream to many.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    IMO (and based on console history) above $400 hurts the console a great deal, Its why I don't see the XboxOne X doing all that well. $400 or less is the sweet spot and that isn't changing anytime soon.
    Any higher than $500 for a console, and i'll just build a PC.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

if they ever come out with a console like NervGear from SAO, I will buy it

however I think that is a long way away

I dont know how powerful the systems will be but probably on par with a computer that is out now running max specs
    Last edited by Linri; 2017-07-18 at 04:51 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you even understand what Jaguar is or how out dated it is? Puma succeeded Jaguar in 2014.

Ryzen is not a microarchitecture, it's a damn line of CPUs. The microarchitecture is Zen.

The fact you're talking about Ryzen like it's some architecture says it all. There will not be a Ryzen CPU in any consoles, it would cost way too much money. There can very well be a Zen CPU in consoles however. Do you understand the difference now?
    Im talking about Ryzen the same way digital foundry talked about Ryzen. You dont get to claim that DF is wrong.

- - - Updated - - -

Consoles are not going to go with intel. They just wont.

Im talking about Ryzen the same way digital foundry talked about Ryzen. You dont get to claim that DF is wrong.
    You have no idea what you're talking about to talk about anything. Ryzen is a line of consumer CPUs. There is not going to be a Ryzen CPU in a console. The DF is talking about using the same technology from the Ryzen line(aka zen) and using it in a console. Not literally using a Ryzen CPU. There is a massive fucking difference.

Consoles are not going to go with intel. They just wont.
    Quote me saying they would. This isn't even a decent straw man attempt, this is just flat out laughable.

10+ Year Old Account
    I cannot wait until Switch 2 has a Ryzen 7 chip in it with an Intel IGPU!
    Tikki tikki tembo, Usagi no Yojimbo, chari bari ruchi pip peri pembo!

10+ Year Old Account
    Can we stop measuring consoles by their e-peens and start measuring them by the actual fun of the games? Current gen is nice, I love a lot of games out right now. But I also love playing a few apps every day on my phone, too.

That's what we need, the next gen console to be a god damned phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    That's what we need, the next gen console to be a god damned phone.
    God no....