Partying with friends. Am I doing it wrong?

Hi,

So I got back into GW2 after a long hiatus (I played it for a month or two after release, that is it) as I got frustrated with some of the levelling mechanics of the game. After... what 5 years?... I have come back and i am enjoying where the game is at. HOWEVER...

A friend and I decided to level together and I must say, I have found it somewhat of a poor experience. The reasons for this are:

1. We are never on the same part of the 'quest' One of us always seems to finish the heart thingys early compared with the other one and hence we seem to be levelling at different paces.

2. Class quests? We seem to be getting different class levelling quests and keep getting sucked into each other's 'stories'

My take on it so far is that it just seems to support solo levelling without really supporting friends questing together. Am I doing it wrong? I think I must because I find it hard to believe that when a friend and I are partied, why does he not get credit for my kills?

For your second part, there aren't class quests. I'm assuming you mean the personal story which is divided into three basic sections. The first section is based on which race you picked and will be different if you guys are different races, the second section is based on which order you pick (Vigil, Whispers, or Priory) and again will be different depending on which you pick, and the last section is the Pact storyline which should be the same for both of you. Also iirc each race has certain options which will take your story in slightly different directions. For example depending on which college you pick as an Asura your starting story will be slightly different. Either way you'll both end up in the same place and doing both shouldn't hurt either of you at all.

Was the original post deleted?

Quote Originally Posted by Valeron View Post
    Was the original post deleted?
    Nope, just a minor hiccup. Should be showing just fine now : )

1 Yeah the heart credit is based on how many mobs you kill or how many items you turn in, a lot of the time. Mobs being killed is based on your tagging ability. Mobs dropping loot is again based on tagging, but also a bit of RNG. Track your friend's heart progress (you can see it in their portrait) so you don't leave him behind.

2 Yeah you'll get different stories if you pick different individual story elements (race, origins, order, fear). If you want to share story then make sure you pick the same steps. Alternatively, save your story for when you're playing alone; doing the other person's story steps is completely unrewarding unless you are able to use shared credit when the story step ends.

Credit for kills isn't shared across parties, the game is trying to encourage you to get used to how you should play when you're solo. Make sure you're tagging mobs as much as possible. Instead of going off and individually killing mobs like you would in WoW, contribute to the same mobs.

Also focus on trying to clear events rather than hearts for your experience; that can make your life a lot easier. Events also care about how much you are supporting your friends with boons, it tends to provide more mobs, and it tends to want you to play in the same area so you tag the same mobs. Also the various Champion events are very good for experience and practice getting good at the game; once you get to reasonable levels you can really go out of your way to hunt Champions and exclusively levelling through killing them can give you a ton of XP.
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Deleted
    Just make sure you actually do all the stuff together. Don't split up to double mob tagging efficiency because you won't. Do the personal story chapters together, you can choose whose one to do next by distance from where you are right now. Kill some low level world bosses on a side too.
    I think putting too much focus on efficiency and exact synchronisation of finishing hearts is not how GW2 wants to be played.

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    2 Yeah you'll get different stories if you pick different individual story elements (race, origins, order, fear). If you want to share story then make sure you pick the same steps. Alternatively, save your story for when you're playing alone; doing the other person's story steps is completely unrewarding unless you are able to use shared credit when the story step ends.
    Eh, only completely unrewarding if you consider XP gains and loot the only possible rewards. Seeing the other arcs/stories without having to go back and do them yourself can certainly be personally rewarding though.