Poll: Do you like Game of Thrones?

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Absolutely I do. I think my better half has watched the whole series (so far) like 3 times.

I do think the writing is starting to change its pace a bit, and some elements are starting to strike me as rushed, or a bit too convenient.

- - - Updated - - -

If this were remotely true, Spartacus would have had far more viewers than it did.
    I agree with you about the writing and i'd expect that its partially due to the fact that they are past the books, so in essence the writers are different. I know the show doesnt follow the books exactly, but the earlier series were still taken from Martin's actual writing. Now they have to do the writing themselves.

Men only watch it for the sex. Women only for dat smoking hot Jon Snow. I had this one night stand with a girl - her room was covered in Jon Snow posters. He's like the Leonardo DiCaprio of our times (if anyone can remember the DiCaprio craze during Titanic).

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I don't like Game Of Thrones. But then, I usually prefer high fantasy to low fantasy anyway. I acknowledge that it's a high quality show, I just don't care for it.

Deleted
    You base a judgement on a expectation.
    It's a good series imo. I really enjoyed the first 5 seasons, still hooked but less hyped, kinda bumbed they'll stop at 8.

Quote Originally Posted by ramjb View Post
    Men only watch it for the sex. Women only for dat smoking hot Jon Snow. I had this one night stand with a girl - her room was covered in Jon Snow posters. He's like the Leonardo DiCaprio of our times (if anyone can remember the DiCaprio craze during Titanic).
    That's some bull, honestly the majority of female characters on GoT aren't that once naked.

Natalie and Emilia have weird boobs.

I haven't really watched it myself, but I imagine GoT makes for a pretty great TV show because (assuming it's like the books) there aren't many other shows quite like it at the moment. I lost interest after the first couple of books because I felt like it had some pacing/predictability issues and didn't handle the "dark" elements of dark fantasy particularly well. As far as literature goes I think there are better novels that do the same kind of thing, but for TV that's not the case. It probable scratches an itch that no other series has satisfied thus far.

Quote Originally Posted by ramjb View Post
    I don't watch it for sex. I watch it for political intrigue, backstabbery, fight scenes and other shenanigans. Naked ladies are just a fringe benefit. We have the internet for watching sex.

My niece also watches GoT for the same reasons. Kit Harrington being a hottie is just a fringe benefit for her.

I LOVE Game of Thrones as coin master. I'm beyond ecstatic that HBO plans to continue the series after this one ends.
    Last edited by skr1107; 2017-08-17 at 06:51 AM.

I think it's a good show but I do think it gets overhyped. For me personally it's not up there among the truly great shows, but it's entertaining, it's a great "watercooler"-show that you discuss with your friends and even though the writing has gone downhill (not hard to see why) it's still enjoyable IMO.

First three seasons were good but the writing was on the wall with their goofy Talisa shit. The show has predictably gone to shit as more and more OC has been introduced. Every time someone says "Night King" I wince. I still watch it weekly on a stream with a chat room simply for the memeing. It's only enjoyable for the camp value at this point. Dabid and Dan are retarded.

Good to see the return of House Goodmen.
    Last edited by tss; 2017-07-31 at 08:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    You are a carbon copy of what you long so hard to fight in the streets. An extremist. Someone so desperate for strife to prove you are the ubermensch, err, Real American.

Alt lite. Sounds like you're having an alt fright. Unable to sleep at alt night. Maybe you should relax and fly an alt kite. Go down to the diner for an alt bite. You shouldn't be treating people with alt spite. Eventually, everything will be alt right.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    What is there to dislike?
    Things that don't meet your personal taste. Difficult concept, I know.

I really love the LotR movies, so I gave it a try. And before any dickhead calls me "uninformed" and begins talking of strawberry cake vs apple cake, I did not expect anything, and I don't say it's "bad". I just tried it, and I didn't like it, at all. I had to force myself to even watch a couple of episodes. Too much sex, politics and vulgarity for my taste, and I did not really like any of the characters.

Some people just don't like things, deal with it.
    Last edited by mmoc1848483d5d; 2017-07-31 at 08:26 PM.

GOT is a great show, but it has its ups and downs. They seem to be struggling with the right balance of politics / magic / dragons to be a cohesive narrative, but performs well enough to be enjoyable by a huge fanbase.

Wish you had a meh, cause that is where I stand. I have a preference toward high fantasy (I want more magic and monsters!) The biggest issue for me with GoT was the fans to GoT, seeing all these people that disliked fantasy stories, mocked DnD (until stranger things), don't care about fantasy and the only story they know is GoT telling me how Ice and Fire is the greatest fantasy story ever told and the show is the best TV show ever. It is like your 25 year old friend finding Pearl Jam for the first time and trying to tell you how there is no other grunge bands or how none could be as great. Pearl Jam is great but it is the most base level grunge band out there, safe for all family events.

It can be entertaining, but I agree there are episodes that are ultra weak, bad acting, and overall a high level of predictability (people love that who can't recognize how predictable it is to everyone else, the feeling of oh I get it!). Take the Red Wedding, such a shock, not really if you've paid any attention to the gimmick Martin loves to use, "kill everyone when they are thinking they are safe or at a high point" for the shock value.

It is good TV, but most of HBO series are good well made TV. Sopranos, Oz, Veep, The Wire, Deadwood, etc etc etc so I'm not tipping my hat to GoT being some god like show, it is just the HBO show that hit when HBO was at it's most accessible thanks to the internet, HBO Go, and cheaper cable packages. Really, it is the fans that drive me away from it most often and the overall dick sucking that goes along with it, I'm a little burned out on having some bro come up to me and lavish praise on GoT as the best fantasy shit ever. While ten years ago that same bro was going "fucking dragons and knights are gay bro." Now that there is some TnA and a simple enough story line that folks can follow it reached god tier.

It does have some good shit in there, a few of the actors have done really well. Some story lines have been really good, some have been meh meh. I don't like how Martin has just ridden the TV cash cow and basically stopped giving a fuck about it and turned the story over (I'm yet to see this come to a good out come and I like Sanderson, but Wheel of Time isn't the same as when Jordan did it all). The show excels at showing awful characters and down right cruel ones. Overall it is a good show, but I don't fiend for it, I watching it leisurely, but it doesn't force to binge it or die for the next episode.

And it is not the best show ever on TV, its good, but not the best.

Ugh I hate how it bandwagoned. It's the new Walking Dead, complete with the quality going down as the viewership increased and seasons went on.

I mean it's by far the best thing on TV but I really wish Martin would finish the damn books. The show has botched so many characters and plotlines.

The book series is sensational, and i can't wait for the new book this year (lol, more like 2019!). For anyone that has not read it.. please do so. It's vastly more intriguing, complex, exciting, in depth with literally dozens of extra characters, with impact on the world and the storylines, including extremely IMPORTANT characters from the main families that were simply scrapped for the tv show. Seriously. Read it. Really. It's like the TV show x10 on awesome-sauce.

The show started great, and remained great whilst they had source material to follow, but ever since they went ahead of the books, quality has greatly declined. It's still amusing, and i'm invested on it, and some characters i feel are amazingly portrayed (Littlefinger, Varys, Davos, Jorah, Ned Stark, etc) by the actors... but it's just getting silly at this point in regards of rushing the storyline and 'getting it done'.

Overall, the tv show is a 7/10, but the books are a solid 10/10. Read them. Seriously.

Also, fuck the show-runners for butchering the best characters and storylines in the book. Stannis ("I will have no burnings, pray harder") and Doran Martell (what the fuck did they do to the Dorne storyline... seriously) being the most butchered.
    Last edited by hulkgor; 2017-08-01 at 02:48 AM.

It's still a good show, yes. I've read the books but it was seeing the first season of the show that got me into them in the first place, as I'd never heard of them prior. At this point in time I've just accepted the show is a separate story from the books that just shares the major story arcs and universe. It would be a stronger show if the source material was actual complete. Yes, the show writers have made some strange/dumb choices IMO but unless GRRM release the final two books before season 8, the show will finish presumably years before the source material is actually complete which is pretty bizarre and they can only do so much with what they've got. In a strange way though I'm kind of happy it's veered off from the books as much as it has so when Winds of Winter does finally release it will still be packed full of surprises.

Deleted
    I love it, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by captmcneil View Post
    Things that don't meet your personal taste. Difficult concept, I know.

I really love the LotR movies, so I gave it a try. And before any dickhead calls me "uninformed" and begins talking of strawberry cake vs apple cake, I did not expect anything, and I don't say it's "bad". I just tried it, and I didn't like it, at all. I had to force myself to even watch a couple of episodes. Too much sex, politics and vulgarity for my taste, and I did not really like any of the characters.

Some people just don't like things, deal with it.
    how much sex is too much sex for you to handle?

Deleted
    There has been no politics or intrigue in the show since season 4. Characters have no motivations or logic behind their actions. Dialouge has been dumbed down to exposition or fanfic tier. The fact people still think this is ''good'' in any way, shape or form is just further proof how society (especially America) has degenerated.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    The book series is sensational, and i can't wait for the new book this year (lol, more like 2019!). For anyone that has not read it.. please do so. It's vastly more intriguing, complex, exciting, in depth with literally dozens of extra characters, with impact on the world and the storylines, including extremely IMPORTANT characters from the main families that were simply scrapped for the tv show. Seriously. Read it. Really. It's like the TV show x10 on awesome-sauce.

The show started great, and remained great whilst they had source material to follow, but ever since they went ahead of the books, quality has greatly declined. It's still amusing, and i'm invested on it, and some characters i feel are amazingly portrayed (Littlefinger, Varys, Davos, Jorah, Ned Stark, etc) by the actors... but it's just getting silly at this point in regards of rushing the storyline and 'getting it done'.

Overall, the tv show is a 7/10, but the books are a solid 10/10. Read them. Seriously.

Also, fuck the show-runners for butchering the best characters and storylines in the book. Stannis ("I will have no burnings, pray harder") and Doran Martell (what the fuck did they do to the Dorne storyline... seriously) being the most butchered.
    New book comes out 2018, when the show ends. Probably november-december. As far as butchering goes, don't forget Jaime. The most badass character in the books, was reduced to a Cersei sidekick, that's boring to watch whenever he's on screen.

game of thrones is like bad anime where they just talk on too many episode and not enough action