Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Hero dog rescues drowning fawn during morning walk

http://www.itv.com/news/2017-07-18/h...-morning-walk/

A heroic dog jumped into the ocean and rescued a drowning fawn in incredible footage captured by his owner.

Golden retriever Storm leaped into the waters off PJ Harbour in Long Island, New York, when he saw the struggling animal during a morning walk.

He can be seen swimming furiously towards the dying fawn before returning with her in his mouth.

Storm then places the fawn on the shore for a moment's rest before pulling her further away from the water.

The fawn appears lifeless until Storm begins licking and nuzzling her back to life.

torm's owner Mark Freeley said: "Storm just plunged into the water and started swimming out to the fawn, grabbed it by the neck, and started swimming to shore".

The fawn reportedly ran back to the water in fright once it had regained consciousness, by which time animal rescue group Strong Island Rescue had arrived.

Rescuers saved the fawn for a second time and took her to their rescue centre where she was examined.

The fawn had reportedly suffered a scratched eye and had a number of tick bites, but is expected to make a full recovery.
    A nice feel good story for a change

10+ Year Old Account
    Feel good but god damn

The fawn reportedly ran back to the water in fright once it had regained consciousness, by which time animal rescue group Strong Island Rescue had arrived.
    Deer are stupid as hell

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TheWalkinDude View Post
    Sorry dude, that deer isn't going to make it.
    A scratched eye and tick bites is unlikely to kill a deer.

It's a fawn. It's mother was no where around, and the ruckus from not only the humans but the dog have likely forced it further away. Hopefully it comes back, but it seems unlikely. Without its mother it's as good as dead.
    You don't seem to know how these things work. The fawn won't be examined, treated, and dropped off in the woods.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's a fawn. It's mother was no where around, and the ruckus from not only the humans but the dog have likely forced it further away. Hopefully it comes back, but it seems unlikely. Without its mother it's as good as dead.
    Well, If you read it properly, You'll see it was saved, and taken to a rescue centre, so no, It's not "as good as dead"
    Hint for future posting: Read something properly before commenting and making a fool out of yourself:P

I have a feeling Storm would have had a nice dinner if his owner wasn't there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Article says an animal rescue group captured her and is tending to it but generally yes at that age and without mother it's not a good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    Article says an animal rescue group captured her and is tending to it but generally yes at that age and without mother it's not a good sign.
    People have found fawns at that age and raised them with bottles in their own homes, resulting in a pet deer (not that that's particularly recommended!). I'm pretty confident an animal rescue group can handle keeping the fawn healthy.

Deleted
    And what makes you think it's going back to the wild immediately? If anything it may go to a sanctuary or park

Very nice give that dog a big cake.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    People have found fawns at that age and raised them with bottles in their own homes, resulting in a pet deer (not that that's particularly recommended!). I'm pretty confident an animal rescue group can handle keeping the fawn healthy.
    Oh yeah I've no doubt it'll grow up healthily enough but if they ever want to reintroduce it to the wild it'll be at a disadvantage so it'll have to live the rest of its life in a controlled sanctuary
    Last edited by Dug; 2017-07-18 at 02:00 PM.

Deleted
    umm, deer aren't an endangered species. I hate to break it to you sweetie, but if the game commission is called for this fawn they're going to euthanize it.
    You're aware sanctuaries and parks are not exclusive to endangered species

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    The sea needs to eat too y'know...

umm, deer aren't an endangered species. I hate to break it to you sweetie, but if the game commission is called for this fawn they're going to euthanize it.
    You think all animals in wildlife sanctuaries are endangered species?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    You think all animals in wildlife sanctuaries are endangered species?
    He obviously isn't aware of places like http://www.new-forest-national-park....sanctuary.html which I imagine the fawn will end up going too

Dog was like, "damn, I was saving that deer for later."

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Not at all, but I assume you're not a hunter or involved with wildlife that often. Cases like this occur quite often. Fawns have about a 50% mortality rate. In short, this fawn isn't that big of a deal and no one is going to sink a lot of money into its care. Pet deer are illegal in nearly every state, so even if some rogue caretaker tries to raise the deer, this will eventually happen:

And you're obviously unaware of the numerous private parks and sanctuaries that do take in orphans. I accept America is lacking in animal rights but well at this point you're just shitting on a story to be edgy and I cba entertaining that sweety

Another dog proving that not only humans are capable of empathy.

Yeah...You're just arguing to argue now. You have no valid point anymore.

The fawn will be fine in the rescue center for now, They will nurse it until they feel it can fend for itself in the wild. Thats what animal sanctuaries do, Doesnt matter what animal it is.

Also if you think they will just release the fawn straight away or let it be euthanized then you are really mistaken. The fact this has made it to the news is a guarantee that they will look after it and tend to it until its ready. An animal thats been rescued by another animal really brings in the donations. Aside from the fact that people who work in animal sanctuaries are generally...you know...good people who care about animals, the center will not want to miss out on the serious amount of cash they will be getting.

The fawn will be just fine.

15+ Year Old Account
    And then he got eated. The end.