Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    What bothers me more is that we just got a brand new raid, and yet I feel like I have to go back and farm the last raid and pray for a mega ultra forged trinket, and continue to play the relinquished powerball lottery, to find something better than what I have now.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgtbaker View Post
    What bothers me more is that we just got a brand new raid, and yet I feel like I have to go back and farm the last raid and pray for a mega ultra forged trinket, and continue to play the relinquished powerball lottery, to find something better than what I have now.
    Yeah, trinket balance this expac has been all over the place. It seems like the Devs tried to take a step back from the super powerful trinkets of HFC, but that just made people chase even harder after the handful of still powerful choices that slipped through.

I think this is intentional. You get a lot of mileage out of content if you keep some of the drops relevant in the next tier, which is possible these days because of the LFG tool and such, making PUGing a lot easier. It's also a boon for newer/lower players, because they get raiders to carry their gearing runs (many people do NH mythic in guild, but HC/NM in PUGs).

But, of course, it DOES add pressure on ambitious players and makes their gear quite prone to RNG. That's definitely true, but hits very few people, comparatively. Overall it's probably a net positive for the player base.

Sometimes I wish I never got my Arcano just so that I can use the new trinkets I get...heh

Deleted
    Yeah I have only a 880 Gul'dan Trinket, never got arcano and Gul'dan HC doesn't drop his HC trinket .

Meanwhile nearly all 915 trinkets from ToS are useless, so broken.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinuvial View Post
    Meanwhile nearly all 915 trinkets from ToS are useless, so broken.
    That's one way of looking at it.

Another way would be "I've managed to kill Mythic Gul'dan and got a trinket from him, I don't want that to become obsolete with the first drop from Goroth normal".

Can't please everyone I guess.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post

Another way would be "I've managed to kill Mythic Gul'dan and got a trinket from him, I don't want that to become obsolete with the first drop from Goroth normal".

That's totally not in the same ballpark. When you kill NH on Mythic a drop on Normal will never be an upgrade. However my trinket from NH normal is ilvl 880 and better then everything that drops at ToS HC. Not to mention the Arcano that is RNG boss on RNG drop at 860ilvl and doesn't require anything but luck while outperforming nearly everything in the game. THAT is broken.

That's totally not in the same ballpark. When you kill NH on Mythic a drop on Normal will never be an upgrade.
    Infernal Cinders says hi. And it's not the first time it's like that. Also: hyperbole. Same still holds true for equal difficulties, tiers becoming obsolete instantly is not unequivocally appreciated by everyone.

However my trinket from NH normal is ilvl 880 and better then everything that drops at ToS HC. Not to mention the Arcano that is RNG boss on RNG drop at 860ilvl and doesn't require anything but luck while outperforming nearly everything in the game. THAT is broken.
    I'm not sure you've thought this through. What do you think needs to happen for every new tier of trinkets to be obviously and strictly better than the last?

Either A) you make all the entry tier items terrible and uninspired, to keep the power low; then add equally weak but slightly better versions gradually, arriving at powerful effects only in the last tier(s).

Or B) you make every new tier RIDICULOUSLY more powerful so that it wins even against old Titanforges; in which case you have the opposite of what you're complaining about, namely that any LFR version of the new trinkets beat out mythic ones from the last tier (been there before, people hated it).

There really is no middle ground, largely because of TF. Previously you could (at least in theory) balance trinkets so the new versions are better, but not by a huge margin; now the ilvl range is so wide that it's impossible to fine-tune for the entire range.

And all that is just the inherent problem of power creep across tiers, saying nothing of the fact that many people LIKE old tiers to remain relevant content. People in my guild are excited to roll new alts because they know they'll easily find good runs for lower raid tiers to gear them through. That's only possible because of the new system. Who ever bothered to go back to Highmaul once BRF came out? Let alone HFC? Right now we have high-end raiders regularly spamming EN Normal/HC speed clears just for legs and AP, and NH for TF drops. More people doing raids looks like a GOOD thing to me.

Deleted
    Infernal Cinders says hi. And it's not the first time it's like that. Also: hyperbole. Same still holds true for equal difficulties, tiers becoming obsolete instantly is not unequivocally appreciated by everyone.

I'm not sure you've thought this through. What do you think needs to happen for every new tier of trinkets to be obviously and strictly better than the last?

Either A) you make all the entry tier items terrible and uninspired, to keep the power low; then add equally weak but slightly better versions gradually, arriving at powerful effects only in the last tier(s).

Or B) you make every new tier RIDICULOUSLY more powerful so that it wins even against old Titanforges; in which case you have the opposite of what you're complaining about, namely that any LFR version of the new trinkets beat out mythic ones from the last tier (been there before, people hated it).

There really is no middle ground, largely because of TF. Previously you could (at least in theory) balance trinkets so the new versions are better, but not by a huge margin; now the ilvl range is so wide that it's impossible to fine-tune for the entire range.

And all that is just the inherent problem of power creep across tiers, saying nothing of the fact that many people LIKE old tiers to remain relevant content. People in my guild are excited to roll new alts because they know they'll easily find good runs for lower raid tiers to gear them through. That's only possible because of the new system. Who ever bothered to go back to Highmaul once BRF came out? Let alone HFC? Right now we have high-end raiders regularly spamming EN Normal/HC speed clears just for legs and AP, and NH for TF drops. More people doing raids looks like a GOOD thing to me.
    I'm not even talking about TF and stuff, an item at a lower difficulty should nog be better then the entire raid of a later tier and higher diffculty. I don't care if it's first or last boss.

I'm not even talking about TF and stuff, an item at a lower difficulty should nog be better then the entire raid of a later tier and higher diffculty. I don't care if it's first or last boss.
    It's understandable that you think so, but it's just not practicable to implement right now. The system is set up in a way that you screw something over somehow no matter which way you go. If there was a perfect solution, they'd use it. But there's not.

10+ Year Old Account

What? He landed the trink on normal how is that a way to look at it?

Maybe 2 trinks in TOS make sense for us.. and both are worse than a 870 arcano world boss drop under like 925. That is an issue.

Deleted
    It's understandable that you think so, but it's just not practicable to implement right now. The system is set up in a way that you screw something over somehow no matter which way you go. If there was a perfect solution, they'd use it. But there's not.
    This has never been a issue previously. Sure there could've been 1 trinket that was good from a previous tier but once you got the best 2 trinkets from the latest tier you never looked back. Except maybe the ToT 100% crit chance trinket, an outlier surely.

This has never been a issue previously.
    We also haven't had the D3-style loot system we do now previously, which is intricately connected to the problem (see above).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osanger View Post
    Owl is definitely strongest for single target, it lines up with SH and does a crazy amount if you set it up properly, its like 5-6% of my damage on gorgoth and maiden.
    How do you play with the sentinel trinket optimally anyways? Recently got it and really have no idea what even procs it.

Quote Originally Posted by meekus View Post
    How do you play with the sentinel trinket optimally anyways? Recently got it and really have no idea what even procs it.
    What I read (haven't confirmed it personally) is that for Afflic, all that procs it is Drain Soul ticks. So rather than pop it as part of your opening salvo you want to put up DoTs and cast your UA and then pop it so it lines up with your channel phase.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirroth View Post
    What I read (haven't confirmed it personally) is that for Afflic, all that procs it is Drain Soul ticks. So rather than pop it as part of your opening salvo you want to put up DoTs and cast your UA and then pop it so it lines up with your channel phase.
    Alright. I was thinking that dot applications might proc it, but not the actual ticks. Guess I'll do some testing later to confirm!

Quote Originally Posted by meekus View Post
    Alright. I was thinking that dot applications might proc it, but not the actual ticks. Guess I'll do some testing later to confirm!
    I believe the issue is that there's no initial damage. There might be a proc chance off something in the Immolate, Moonfire, or SW:P style DoT. But none of Afflic's DoTs do anything besides apply a debuff.

7+ Year Old Account
    I feel you don't have 910+ whispers and an arcano, just quit now. Owls trash on almost half the fights compared to those two
    Don't be like haunt guy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Terryn View Post
    I feel you don't have 910+ whispers and an arcano, just quit now. Owls trash on almost half the fights compared to those two
    880 arcano is better on most fights.. you don't need quit playing if you don't have both but if you don't have at least an arcano; you're going to feel it for sure.

This has never been a issue previously. Sure there could've been 1 trinket that was good from a previous tier but once you got the best 2 trinkets from the latest tier you never looked back. Except maybe the ToT 100% crit chance trinket, an outlier surely.
    If someone holds the view that TOS trinkets are reasonable progression from previous tier, that person isn't even worth talking to; they are that wrong. Every sensible person knows trinkets are messed up atm. No point trying to talk sense into the senseless.