Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    And in this alternate timeline the southern Democrats are still the slave party right? They arent going to try and misconstrue history and say its the Republicans are they?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    And in this alternate timeline the southern Democrats are still the slave party right? They arent going to try and misconstrue history and say its the Republicans are they?
    Well, it would be a different Country...so they wouldn't be "Southern Democrats" at all. The CSA would have their own political parties.
    Last edited by Evil Midnight Bomber; 2017-07-20 at 07:42 AM.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

7+ Year Old Account
    Can't really decide. If its just a series about ending slavery and how the south is bad, then i won't watch it as it is not something that i find interesting and just sounds like a SJW soapbox.

However, what i find more interesting is how history changed due to the division of the U.S. What impact would it have had in world policies ? How would ww2 have turned out ? Would both the Union and Confederate have participated ? I would have the same questions regarding economic policies. How would the Union compete against the slave labour of the confederate and so on.

So on the one i find it has a lot of potential, but at the same time it might just end up as a story to make people feel good on the inside.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    The 19th century Southern Democrat was about as far-right as they got in those days, whereas the Republican party of the day were considered bleeding-heart liberals.

A lot of things change in 150 years. Hell, a lot of things changed between Lincoln and FDR.
    By the time of Franklin Roosevelt's Presidency, the Democrats (which FDR was) were the liberals, and the Republicans were the conservatives. The two parties effectively swapped platforms.

Lincoln was President until 1865 and FDR became President in 1933. That's only 68 years between the two.
    1933 was 84 years ago. This means that the Democrats have been the left-wing party (and the Republicans the right-wing party) for longer than it took for that platform switch to take place.

Only a fool would comment on the issue while being ignorant of these basic facts.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Synopsis from HBO:

The show is set to start production after the final season of Game of Thrones wraps up next year.

Per Variety on who else is involved in the production:

------------
    So all we have is HBO's synopsis to go on... Seems like a pretty controversial thing to make a series about, how do you think it will go?

Do you think it will just be an SJW soapbox about how evil the south and racism are? Do you think they will try to make the viewer sympathetic to the CSA (à la some of the Nazis in Amazon's Man in the High Castle)?

Either way it seems to have the potential to royally piss one side or the other off, probably both.

What say ye?

Personally I am very much looking forward to it... Interesting premise, experienced and popular writers, HBO's deep pockets... Has the potential to be great, IMO.
    "Slave holding conglomerate" that would mean the rest of the world got stuck there with murrica. That was unlikely to happen before WWII tbh.
    -=Z=- Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek! -=Z=-
    https://bdsmovement.net/

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Logwyn View Post
    "A nation in which slavery remains legal"

Hahahaha. No way in hell this survives to the modern age in the Western World even if the South wins. Maybe if you use Alien Space Bats you'd get it to happy. Sounds like a flop.
    Why is this not realistic? Slavery is legal some parts of the world still and they also have other barbaric customs like stoning people to death, women being second class citizens with almost no rights etc.

Definitely has potential. Betting against HBO is also usually a safe way of losing your money.

Do you think it will just be an SJW soapbox about how evil the south and racism are?
    So you are saying the Confederacy of the South who went out of their way to defend a society that kept human beings as slaves were not evil? You're saying racism is not evil? And that portraying them as evil makes you a "SJW"? What the? I guess the meaning of "SJW" is no longer that of a slur that a right-winger throws on a left-winger, now its meaning is "decent human being".

very interestined in this, i love alt history and this could be good, esp if they talk about how it affected WWI and WWII. One theory I read about WWII and the CSA had them help the allies while the north joined the Axis to try and recapture the south, thus you had the pacific front, EU front, and NA front to the war.

Also curious about slavery as for the most part had the CSA won it would have all but died out within 50 years anyways (not saying gone gone or equal rights) but machines would take over field work.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Quote Originally Posted by Zarc View Post
    So you are saying the Confederacy of the South who went out of their way to defend a society that kept human beings as slaves were not evil? You're saying racism is not evil? And that portraying them as evil makes you a "SJW"? What the? I guess the meaning of "SJW" is no longer that of a slur that a right-winger throws on a left-winger, now its meaning is "decent human being".
    Well, people still fly the confederate flag so its not that surprising.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zarc View Post
    I didn't say any of those things, kiddo? Take your anxiety meds, you seem to be having a panic attack.

We all know racism is bad, we all know slavery is bad, we all know the confederacy was wrong...

Do we need a $100 million TV show on HBO to tell us that? I don't think so. So unless they add some kind of nuance what would be the purpose of the show, other than an SJW soap box?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    very interestined in this, i love alt history and this could be good, esp if they talk about how it affected WWI and WWII. One theory I read about WWII and the CSA had them help the allies while the north joined the Axis to try and recapture the south, thus you had the pacific front, EU front, and NA front to the war.

Also curious about slavery as for the most part had the CSA won it would have all but died out within 50 years anyways (not saying gone gone or equal rights) but machines would take over field work.
    If its true alternate history then they may never have happened.

That's why I normally don't go for alternate history stuff very much, because the butterfly effect is never really taken into account to any real extent and they act as though the thing that changed in the past happened in some kind of bubble and everything else proceeded normally.

When even minuscule changes would alter everything everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Cherise View Post
    Why is this not realistic? Slavery is legal some parts of the world still and they also have other barbaric customs like stoning people to death, women being second class citizens with almost no rights etc.
    Slavery doesn't exist legally in the modern world. You're conflating your impression of some countries (as having slavery) with things they do to punish, like stoning to death and keeping females as second class citizens (which very much exists).

Unless you're making the argument that the treatment of certain populations in those countries is effectively slavery, but knowing your post history, I'm thinking you're not making such a nuanced argument. Remember, this is not GenOT, what flies there doesn't fly here. This is a thread about a show about a potential alternate U.S. history, it's not a place to post Alex Jones conspiracies about the actual world.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherise View Post
    And how many of those countries are part of "the western world"?

It's 2017 so people are gonna tear this to shreds but they are really jumping to conclusions. Since it seems like race relations have taken a step back lately, this could be a show we need. It could literally be a warning about the way things are going and that everyone should quit their bullshit.

And as others have said, the Man in the High Castle is a thing.

I didn't say any of those things, kiddo? Take your anxiety meds, you seem to be having a panic attack.
    Take it easy, I just mistook your comment about "how evil the south and racism are" as sarcasm due to your usage of the "SJW" term, that's all. No need to get hostile.

Even though I'm a huge GoT fan, I don't really find either one of these guys to be top-tier writers. They got away with the first 4 seasons of Thrones because they had source material but now that they are more or less working with their own vision, the writing has been mediocre imo. What is saving Thrones lately has been the directing and acting to mask the writing, and because of that I still love the show. Also, one of them wrote Troy and Origins Wolverine... which doesn't speak very highly to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    And as others have said, the Man in the High Castle is a thing.
    I'm hoping it just *sounds* like Man in the High Castle... but feels like something else entirely.

I'm hoping they are able to depict this society without pandering to preconceptions about "good and bad". Usually HBO is solid in the grey areas, but I'm skeptical about this particular show. I wish the pilot were here already so I could get myself hooked on it. =)

Synopsis from HBO:

The show is set to start production after the final season of Game of Thrones wraps up next year.

Per Variety on who else is involved in the production:

------------
    So all we have is HBO's synopsis to go on... Seems like a pretty controversial thing to make a series about, how do you think it will go?

Do you think it will just be an SJW soapbox about how evil the south and racism are? Do you think they will try to make the viewer sympathetic to the CSA (à la some of the Nazis in Amazon's Man in the High Castle)?

Either way it seems to have the potential to royally piss one side or the other off, probably both.

What say ye?

Personally I am very much looking forward to it... Interesting premise, experienced and popular writers, HBO's deep pockets... Has the potential to be great, IMO.
    Would be nice if they could had got Anson Mount from Hell on Wheels before he got contracted to that marvel show that will most likely fail.

Well they could cast Trump as President of the South. Jeff Sessions would be Attorney General. Maybe throw in some burning LGBTQ people at the stake while Mike Pence cackles. Steve King of Iowa could be trying to lead a revolt of Iowa, since he is the largest racist of them all.

I see many civic lessons being taught with this wonderful and talented cast.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    And queue the usual suspects all ready in an uproar about it. Something about it being a white mans fantasy of enslaving the black people again or some such.
    I would've figured that those people realized that HBO doesn't care about their opinions a long time ago.

I'm excited. Not many shows touch the American mythos.
    Last edited by PACOX; 2017-07-21 at 05:09 AM.

Resident Cosplay Progressive