Does Boardwalk Empire get better?

Yea I know, bit behind times. I am four episodes into binge watching and so far I'm not really captivated outside of Steve Buscemi and Stephen Graham (Al Capone) scenes. The rest of the characters just seem downright forgettable or uninteresting.

I love watching GoT and I loved Deadwood from the first episode, just not feeling it so far with this HBO series.
    Last edited by TITAN308; 2017-07-22 at 05:10 PM.

Deleted
    It ok. 1st season is a bit slow.

Go watch Black Sails if you haven't already.

Bob's Burger is better.
    AMD Build: | CPU: FX-9590 OEM 8-Core(4.7 GHz) Black Edition | GPU: STRIX R9 380 2GB(x1) | Ram: 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    Main: Samsung 850 500GB | BU: WDC Caviar Blue 2TB(x2) | Power: Corsair CX500 | Mobo: Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 [Old faithful!]

Now my living room center piece and open case HTPC.

It's generally a slow-paced character-driven show. If the characters aren't captivating you then it might not be your thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    It does get better, but I still found it a bit lacking overall compared to other great HBO series like GoT, Deadwood, and the best of them all, The Wire.

10+ Year Old Account
    You didn't mention The Wire, does that mean you haven't seen it? Watch The Wire.

I got a little ways into BE, I got bored of it either near the end of season 1 or beginning of season 2.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondercrab View Post
    It's generally a slow-paced character-driven show. If the characters aren't captivating you then it might not be your thing.
    ^This
    {10char}

The Unstoppable Force RobertoCarlos's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    It does get a bit more action in the later seasons. The dude with the face mask is awesome through out the show. Stick with it

it's a slow burner, and a great series. If you don't like the current pace, the rest of it isn't for you.

Imo it started out strong but dropped in quality towards the end.

First and second season were the strongest. That being said, give it a full season. I find most of these types is shows take a full season to develop.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's very good, especially some seasons are just marvelous. The ending though is fucking... well, not bad, just GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH.

To be honest, I struggled through season 1. I started watching the series because my brother praised it and I value his opinion on tv shows. It wasn't until season 2 that I actually started to get hooked. Season 3 was probably the best (due to the new character Gyp Rosetti--who steals every scene he's in), but season 4 and 5 were great as well.

As someone said, it's a slow-burn kinda show. I think once the storyline of season 1 and 2 wraps up, you'll probably enjoy it much more.

It's now one of my favorite shows of all time, but boy was it a rough start for me.

I think the theory of "the more seasons a show has the worse it gets" applies to the Boardwalk Empire.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by marthasimons View Post
    I think the theory of "the more seasons a show has the worse it gets" applies to the Boardwalk Empire.
    It's actually the opposite. Great characters equal a great show.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post
    It's very good, especially some seasons are just marvelous. The ending though is fucking... well, not bad, just GRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH.
    This sums it up very well. The first four season have excellent acting and a great story. The last season and especially the end feel like 'Just let's get this over with, no matter how.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's one of my favorite shows actually. I freaking love James 'Jimmy' Darmody.

Hemingway thought the true ending of Huckleberry Finn was when Jim was taken away. Boardwalk Empire is the same in this regard. The show only has 2 seasons, as the real show is the story of James Darmody. If you watch the show up to season two you will enjoy and love the end of the tragedy of Darmody's life. Nukky is a fucking piece of shit and anything past season 2 never occurred as far as I'm concerned.
    Last edited by Coombs; 2017-08-30 at 03:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coombs View Post
    Hemingway thought the true ending of Huckleberry Finn was when Jim was taken away. Boardwalk Empire is the same in this regard. The show only has 2 seasons, as the real show is the story of James Darmody. If you watch the show up to season two you will enjoy and love the end of the tragedy of Darmody's life. Nukky is a fucking piece of shit and anything past season 2 never occurred as far as I'm concerned.
    Nucky did nothing wrong.

After episode 4? Yes, absolutely. After season 2 finale? Not really.

I still loved the series all the way.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.