The old Steam account question. Edition #7287

So I think I want to come back and play some FFXIV. I've got an ARR Steam account with a 49 BLM and I want to double check some things before I start again.

I might just make a brand new non-steam account, but want to make sure I'm weighing the correct positives and negatives first from what I've read online.

Negatives-
    Lose my character
    Spend 60 dolla for complete edition, instead of just cheaply resubbing for ~10

Positives-
    Can take advantage of online sales/keys on every website instead of just Steam.
    Can buy and attach physical boxes to my account, CE or otherwise.
    Can use the in-game(or online?) shop for cosmetics/boosts.

Anything else i'm missing? If you were in my situation what would you do, or what did you do?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gourmandise View Post
    If you were in my situation what would you do, or what did you do?
    As someone who rarely buys from ingame stores, that would not be a Positive to me. If I already have a game on steam, I see no real reason to buy it again elsewhere, again because I rarely spend money on ingame shops, keys or other forms of sales. So basically, all your positives are Negative to me.

I'd resub and not spend more.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrodel View Post
    As someone who rarely buys from ingame stores, that would not be a Positive to me. If I already have a game on steam, I see no real reason to buy it again elsewhere, again because I rarely spend money on ingame shops, keys or other forms of sales. So basically, all your positives are Negative to me.

I'd resub and not spend more.
    It's a positive because I'm given the freedom to choose whether I want to use it or not. Right now I don't have such freedom, even if I don't think I'd ever use the shop or buy a CE box. That's almost not the point.

I think I'm also in a special situation because I only have the base game, so I wouldn't be spending a lot (if any) extra money to start fresh if I decided to get the expansions.

I do thank you for your input, however, and assume I'm not missing any more downsides/advantages from steam/non-steam accounts in my list since you didn't mention anything else. Definitely going help with my mulling over.
    Last edited by Gourmandise; 2017-07-23 at 07:06 PM.

Anyone on can use the in game store (Mogstation) regardless of platform. And with the latest expansion Stormblood, there actually is a Physical Collector's Edition for PS4, PC (non-steam) and Steam. I would assume this will continue in the future.

The only real downside at this point is that you can't take advantage of sales on other sites.
    One day I was walking and I found this big log. Then I rolled the log over and underneath was a tiny little stick.
    And I was like, "That log had a child!"

Quote Originally Posted by Scufflegrit View Post
    Anyone on can use the in game store (Mogstation) regardless of platform. And with the latest expansion Stormblood, there actually is a Physical Collector's Edition for PS4, PC (non-steam) and Steam. I would assume this will continue in the future.

The only real downside at this point is that you can't take advantage of sales on other sites.
    Thanks for the info! All of the questions about this stuff were from 2015 on google, so i figured that although I was getting answers some of it might have changed or been inaccurate. It's nice to know that all of the naysaying I was reading about Steam accounts of the game were fixed or didn't even exist in the first place.

I'm pretty sure that you can't go back to Steam if you go non-Steam. So either way, you're locked out of something. You can buy cosmetics from either account, though.

Basically, the real question is where do you want to buy the next expansion from?

I would stick with your current Steam account. Any money you could save in future sales will be lost by having to buy the game again.