Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    And it is our government's responsibility to create laws to either keep illegal immigrants out or create a better path for them to enter the country legally.
    So, shoot on sight? Am I right? Would you be happy?

Doesn't really deserve a death sentence though.
    They should stay home and try and make their own country a better place. Either that or find a way of entering a country legally. When you deal with theives, conmen/women and their ilk you are likely going to end up with the short end of the stick.
    I never said anything about them deserving a death sentence. I was just pointing out that the blame was being placed everywhere but on the people who made the actual decision to use illegal methods to enter the country.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by NineSpine View Post
    It's not an issue of letting everyone in, although I think there are strong arguments for completely open borders. The real issue is that we have a bad system which encourages people not to come here legally. Coming here legally is needlessly complex, expensive, and time intensive. If we have a simple, fast, cheap system, people would be encouraged to get in line where we can properly weed them out and deal with them on the books. If you give people the impression they are better off coming here in a trailer, they will.

The idea that the problems are going to follow them is absurd. Many are trying to escape drug wars that are being fueled by American dollars. Those wars are not being fought here like they are there.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't blame people for trying to escape war-torn countries, because I would too and you are a hypocrite because you know you would as well.
    What war-torn country were they from? The article states that no nationalities were known. Considering the truck was in San Antonio, I'd probably be pretty safe in assuming the truck traveled into the country from Mexico. Mexico, while dangerous, is not a war torn country. There are even part of Mexico that are not under constant siege from drug lords that could have moved to. They made a conscious decision to work with criminals to illegally transport them into another country. That decision is on them regardless of whatever motivations they may have had. Perhaps it was a gamble that they thought was worth the danger, but it is still their responsibility.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    Just read this sentence back. Goes to show how privileged and undeniably oblivious to whats going on. Do you even watch the news or have PoC friends?
    Get out with that privileged argument -- it's horribly disjointed to reality. It's a problem of First World Country, skin color has nothing to do with that. In fact, that's quite racist of you to assume that somehow, if your skin is not fair, you're more likely to become a slave.

You're not born as a slave.

These people were smuggled in from Mexico. If you're a Mexican, you're more likely to become a slave. You're more likely to be involved in the drug cartel. You're more likely to have worse life conditions than those living in a first world country. Color is irrelevant. In fact, to even think that it's relevant is an act of racism in itself.

There is "slavery" everywhere my friend. Europe has a pretty strong human trafficking industry from what I understand. The largest portion of the people gets 'recruited' into the sex industry.
    I did not consider that the sex industry was part of the slave culture, but you're right. It's also why so many pushes it to become legalized, much like Marijuana. It reduces by a large margin the freedom of the dealers' and, of course, the bottom line of the illegal market.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Cause immigrants.
    When they're smuggled in illegally in the first place and turned as slaves, I have to say I'm unsure how to react. We can't just throw these people out, even more so if they were smuggled illegally. We can't imprison them either. What do you do?

- - - Updated - - -

That's not why I said he is privileged I meant that he demonstrated how privileged he is by being oblivious and frankly ignorant of the fact that modern slavery is a thing. Which is why I asked if he watched the news...

But you just exposed yourself...Who are you calling savages? The victims of or the traffickers?
    Please, read carefully next time.

I can't believe slavery is still an issue.

How the hell can this level of inhumanity still happen in first world countries?
    In other words: I'm aware slavery exist, I just can't wrap my head around the fact that it still does. In first world countries.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

10+ Year Old Account
    I heard on the news today that last month was the deadliest in 20 years for Mexico, 2.2k deaths in a single month. Over 70 murders per day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by Thwart View Post
    I never said anything about them deserving a death sentence. I was just pointing out that the blame was being placed everywhere but on the people who made the actual decision to use illegal methods to enter the country.

- - - Updated - - -

What war-torn country were they from? The article states that no nationalities were known. Considering the truck was in San Antonio, I'd probably be pretty safe in assuming the truck traveled into the country from Mexico. Mexico, while dangerous, is not a war torn country. There are even part of Mexico that are not under constant siege from drug lords that could have moved to. They made a conscious decision to work with criminals to illegally transport them into another country. That decision is on them regardless of whatever motivations they may have had. Perhaps it was a gamble that they thought was worth the danger, but it is still their responsibility.
    I didn't state that you did my friend.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by b2121945 View Post
    So, shoot on sight? Am I right? Would you be happy?
    Shoot who on sight?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    I heard on the news today that last month was the deadliest in 20 years for Mexico, 2.2k deaths in a single month. Over 70 murders per day.
    They have many people traveling through their countryside too that aren't even counted I would imagine.

When the government runs a system poorly or unjustly, the consequences are the government's fault. Fault is not a zero sum game. The government can be at fault and the traffickers can be at fault. Neither reduces the fault of the other.
    The government isnt to blame, period.

That's not why I said he is privileged I meant that he demonstrated how privileged he is by being oblivious and frankly ignorant of the fact that modern slavery is a thing. Which is why I asked if he watched the news...

But you just exposed yourself...Who are you calling savages? The victims of or the traffickers?
    Heh, so quick to virtue signal you rolled a 1 on reading comprehension.

You never disappoint.

Deleted
    Shoot who on sight?
    Illegal immigrants, of course. You want to make sure they don't end up like this. Better stop it before it has any chance of happening.

They failed themselves by trying to sneak across the border. Hopefully the survivors get quickly shipped back to Mexico.

- - - Updated - - -

You are correct that people do not have a right to come here.
    However, it is their government's responsibility to create laws that govern their country to make it prosperous enough for people to not want to leave. And it is our government's responsibility to create laws to either keep illegal immigrants out or create a better path for them to enter the country legally..
    That's fucking retarded.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    These don't sound like Mexicans to me. A Mexican would have repaired the refrigerator, chilled some cervases, and had a Quinceniera out of the back of that trailer by the end of day one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Doesn't really deserve a death sentence though.
    They should stay home and try and make their own country a better place. Either that or find a way of entering a country legally. When you deal with theives, conmen/women and their ilk you are likely going to end up with the short end of the stick.
    We didn't kill them.

The criminal smuggler they paid to illegally bring them here killed them and through their decisions/actions they killed themselves.

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder what will happen to all those people that got rescued. Will they be deported back to their country of origin?
    Why wouldn't they?

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    We didn't kill them.

The criminal smuggler they paid to illegally bring them here killed them and through their decisions/actions they killed themselves.

- - - Updated - - -

Why wouldn't they?
    Because San Antonio is a Sanctuary City.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Archmage BloodElf4Life View Post
    I can't believe slavery is still an issue.

How the hell can this level of inhumanity still happen in first world countries?
    Because there will always be stupid evil fuckheads. There always have been, and always will be.
    Putin khuliyo

Another article on it from the SA newspaper.
    http://m.mysanantonio.com/news/local...n-11308288.php

It states another trailer was found with 72 people a few weeks ago in the same part of town. I guess police got to that one before anyone died.

When the government runs a system poorly or unjustly, the consequences are the government's fault. Fault is not a zero sum game. The government can be at fault and the traffickers can be at fault. Neither reduces the fault of the other.
    Bull. Crap.

Anyone who is in this country illegally is entirely responsible for their own fate.

/search sympathy file

ERROR

/sympathy file not found

Quote Originally Posted by Realitytrembles View Post
    Bull. Crap.

Anyone who is in this country illegally is entirely responsible for their own fate.

/search sympathy file

ERROR

/sympathy file not found
    Yup, if you don't exist you're not missing, or in danger.

01101110 01101111 00100000 01101111 01101110 01100101 00100000 01100011 01100001 01110010 01100101 01110011
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.

Of course, this sort of shit wouldn't happen if you just build the wall.

Not really. The problem isn't that immigration laws are too lax. The problem is that they are too complicated and ineffective.

- - - Updated - - -

If potentially sweating to death in a trailer isn't deterring people, nothing is going to. That isn't the problem here.
    The problem is too many people want to come here because other than Canada your only other options are across 2 oceans

This is not the fault of their own government they died in US soil. It's the fault of the US government and a certain gingerbread man. But above all I hope James M Bradley rots in jail what a wicked old man.
    im sorry but how is the government responsible at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Torto View Post
    Of course, this sort of shit wouldn't happen if you just build the wall.
    Wall, or not, if your looking for a free ride you might just be one of 8 dead in a trailer.
    Disarm now correctly removes the targets’ arms.