Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think it might be too dangerous because the missile could set off a lot of alarm bells from other countries once it reaches space atmosphere ect. That is if it's intercontinental. Perhaps tested at one time but dangerous today.

I'm just making a guess though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    So how do we know they will work if no one has tested them?
    The missiles themselves work, the explosive works under the conditions set. I dont understand why you doubt they will work? It's not like this is rocket science or anything
    I've no idea what to write here.

Has any bomb shelter actually tested one also?. Seriously how do we know a bomb shelter will even work?, I have seen zero testing of this.

7+ Year Old Account
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-a...lear_explosion
    Argus III, 6 September 1958, 1.7 kt, 540 km (The highest known man made nuclear explosion)
    Starfish Prime, 9 July 1962, 1.4 Mt, 400 km (The largest man made nuclear explosion in outer space)

Quote Originally Posted by Inqquizitor View Post
    Also google/wiki "Operation Fishbowl", which is several tests of nuclear warheads in space , carried out by an early type of ballistic missile, PGM-17 Thor.
    Yeah this has been done before. Notably atmospheric and space detonations are completely banned which is one reason why no one does it.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Deleted
    From wiki "On May 6, 1962, a Polaris A-2 missile with a live W47 warhead was tested in the "Frigate Bird" test of Operation Dominic by USS Ethan Allen in the central Pacific Ocean, the only American test of a live strategic nuclear missile."

So atlest US have test a real nuclear missile with a real warhead.

The japanese got a first hand taste of the tests.

Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    The japanese got a first hand taste of the tests.
    Simple gravity bombs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Those where not missiles, just bombs dropped out of a plane.

Also they already saw what the bombs could do. The exploded them in the Nevada desert long before Japan happened.
    This is not correct in either number, location or timing.

The first atomic bomb test took place at the Trinity Site in New Mexico. Within a month of this test the bombs were dropped on Japan.

There was single test, it took place in New Mexico, and it was a very short period of time.

USSR did a few of these tests. I mean actual nuclear fitted delivery device:
    P-5M rocket
    3YP-215 anti aircraft rocket
    PDC-9 torpedo
    Groza rocket
    Volga rocket
    Rosa thermonuclear fitted rocket
    Unidentified cruise missile fitted with a nuclear warhead (1961)
    Many of them were tested multiple times. After 1965 or so, the number of static explosions gradually decreases in favor of actual delivery devices. I would say, about 20-25% of their tests in later periods were done with a delivery method of some kind (ballistic missiles, AA missiles, torpedoes, cannons etc...).

Why are you guys bumping a 3 1/2 month old post?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Argarock View Post
    The missiles themselves work, the explosive works under the conditions set. I dont understand why you doubt they will work? It's not like this is rocket science or anything
    Uh . . .

This is exactly rocket science.
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Uh . . .

Hahahahaha, you got him good!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Uh . . .

Sounds more like rocket surgery.

Let's all ride the Gish gallop.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    The US and USSR (and UK) signed an agreement in 1963 that banned all but underground testing. So that ruled out atmospheric testing by missile, which they had already done anyway. They realized spreading radioactive fallout all over more than they already had was probably not a great idea.

Plus at this point for the big powers rocket tech is fairly trivial. Even private companies like SpaceX can launch (and land the first stage in the case of SpaceX) payloads like clockwork. So they are well past needing to test a nuke from a missile directly.

Hooked asking for proof of something?

This is madness.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumaras View Post
    The US and USSR (and UK) signed an agreement in 1963 that banned all but underground testing. So that ruled out atmospheric testing by missile, which they had already done anyway. They realized spreading radioactive fallout all over more than they already had was probably not a great idea.

Plus at this point for the big powers rocket tech is fairly trivial. Even private companies like SpaceX can launch (and land the first stage in the case of SpaceX) payloads like clockwork. So they are well past needing to test a nuke from a missile directly.
    Its not getting them up thats hard, its getting them back down in an operational condition and on target that is....