Deleted

Penance direct healing oh the pain..

When they removed and talented the ability to directly heal someone with penance I was slightly annoyed and felt like I lost a staple healing spell, however now that it has come back I wish I could talent out of it many a time have I accidentally direct healed with it during or on the build up to burst because I switched targets somehow.

Anyone else have this issue and or does anyone use single target penance in a raid setting?

Deleted
    I have no problems with it. I use mouseovers on heals but not on Penance, always targetting enemies. But it is useful healing spell after combat in mythic+. I really like the spell this way.

Deleted
    You can make 2 different binds with macros that allow you to cast penance only on enemies or only on friendlies.

I had a similar issue when the patch dropped. Here are some macros to make sure your mistargeting doesn't result in you not casting on the boss:

Code:
    #showtooltip
    /cast [@target,harm,nodead][@focus,harm,nodead][@boss1,harm,nodead][@boss2,harm,nodead][@boss3,harm,nodead][nochanneling][] Smite
    Code:
    #showtooltip
    /cast [@target,harm,nodead][@focus,harm,nodead][@boss1,harm,nodead][@boss2,harm,nodead][@boss3,harm,nodead][] Penance
    Code:
    #showtooltip
    /cast [@target,harm,nodead][@focus,harm,nodead][@boss1,harm,nodead][@boss2,harm,nodead][@boss3,harm,nodead][] Light's Wrath
    Also make sure to turn off auto self-casting in your WoW settings.

Don't we "have" to use defensive penance in Phase 1.5 Kil'jaeden? With the boss out of range for dps-healing, defensive penance becomes a key part of assisting the other healers during that phase. Other than that, though, I don't use defensive penance in raids.

You can just make a Penance macro with the [harm] modifier, to ensure that you only cast offensive Penance.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunzi View Post
    Don't we "have" to use defensive penance in Phase 1.5 Kil'jaeden? With the boss out of range for dps-healing, defensive penance becomes a key part of assisting the other healers during that phase. Other than that, though, I don't use defensive penance in raids.
    Atonement ignores damage reduction on enemies, IIRC.

At least, I can specifically remember instances where I kept attacking a boss with a 99% damage reduction, and still getting normal Atonement heals off of it. Pretty sure it was Glazer.

No... you can follow the boss around and DPS him rather easily.

Deleted
    Atonement heals for the full amount it would normally do so on Kil'jaeden disc is the only class that can legitly sit on the boss ( run after him ) during the air phase.

Thx for the macros I will give them a try, I take it they auto target the boss?

Quote Originally Posted by MendUS View Post
    He takes vastly reduced damage during that phase, no? Does Atonement not care about that? I wouldn't be surprised.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by davesignal View Post
    He takes vastly reduced damage during that phase, no? Does Atonement not care about that? I wouldn't be surprised.
    You won't deal damage to him, but atonement transfer calculates on damage you would have done if no DR.

Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    You won't deal damage to him, but atonement transfer calculates on damage you would have done if no DR.
    Note this also works with damage increases on bosses. The boss taking double damage doesn't make you do double atonement healing.

This is the Penance macro that I've been using:

Code:
    #showtooltip Penance
    /targetenemy [combat,noexists][combat,dead]
    /cast [@target,exists,nodead,nochanneling:Penance][@mouseover,exists,nochanneling:Penance][] Penance

The priority on this is basically:
    1. If you have a target (either enemy or ally), cast Penance on that target. (This is the common case of casting Penance on an enemy)
    2. If you aren't targeting anything (and you're in combat), tab-target to an enemy and cast Penance on that enemy. (Useful when enemies die)
    3. If you don't have a target and didn't tab-target to an enemy, then cast Penance on your mouseover. (This is handy for healing between fights)
    4. If none of the above conditions passed and you have auto self-cast on, then it'll cast Penance on yourself. (Useful for a self-healing/speed boost)

I think, or had thought, that atoned targets have to be in range of the damaged target to be healed, although I can't find that on the atonement tooltip. I'll start assuming there's no range on atonement and see how that goes.
    Last edited by Yunzi; 2017-07-25 at 07:33 PM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think, or had thought, that atoned targets have to be in range of the damaged target to be healed, although I can't find that on the atonement tooltip. I'll start assuming there's no range on atonement and see how that goes.
    I think you're thinking of how it worked in MoP/WoD, where you had an 80 yard max range essentially (40 from you to the target, 40 from the target to the player). The current version has no range restriction as long as they have the buff.

It's within 100 yards of you, so basically no range since most boss encounter areas don't exceed this distance, at least you won't be out of range of someone that frequently on most encounters.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's within 100 yards of you, so basically no range since most boss encounter areas don't exceed this distance, at least you won't be out of range of someone that frequently on most encounters.
    Didn't know that! Can't say I've ever needed to test it I guess Still much better than the 40 in WoD =]