Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

Many EU-EN realms overrun by non-English speaking players?

Some English EU realms are overrun by people that don't speak English. Trade chat is often dominated by unidentified (East-European?) languages.

Now don't get me wrong here, this isn't about bashing others! Many of these players are very friendly and will chat in English once in group with them.
    It's just that they completely overtake certain realms and turn them into their own language-realm in major chat channels.

A possible "fix" would be to segregate even more realms into different languages, like it's already done for Germans, French and Spanish players.

Could this work? Or should Blizzard really enforce English in chat channels if you play on English realms?

Deleted
    Don't know that it matters. I play on an EU-EN realm and people *from* my realm speak English, but I see Pozzo dell’Eternità players everywhere speaking Italian anyway. No point in segregating if they're just going to group us all together anyway right?

I figure it's just a conversation i'm not part of, nothing to be overly worried about.

Segregating the game into more localizations is a question of market share and resources. Do smaller languages have enough potential players to make healthy realm populations and make it worth doing the localization?

Deleted
    why is it a problem?

Deleted
    Ragnaros-EU is an english server, which means the support is english. The community is mostly swedish or hungarian, there are private chat channels for each nation on the realm. They usually spam guild recruitments on the trade / general chat, nothing else.
    You can't create new realms (swe, hun), cuz it would cost more for blizzard to maintain the new support, translate the game.
    If you don't like non-english words in trade chat you can still report them, with enough reports the game auto mute them.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    Some English EU realms are overrun by people that don't speak English. Trade chat is often dominated by unidentified (East-European?) languages.

Now don't get me wrong here, this isn't about bashing others! Many of these players are very friendly and will chat in English once in group with them.
    It's just that they completely overtake certain realms and turn them into their own language-realm in major chat channels.

A possible "fix" would be to segregate even more realms into different languages, like it's already done for Germans, French and Spanish players.

Could this work? Or should Blizzard really enforce English in chat channels if you play on English realms?
    Im pretty sure its because of Blizzards load-balancing/sharding tech. that we are seeing people from different realms on our "own server". So its not that they have overrun EU-EN servers as these players dont have a choice of shard when they log in or HS/port around the zones.
    HolgerDK Stærkodder Shocknorrís
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.

10+ Year Old Account
    According to Merkel and other top EU officials, this is something people should just accept. In the long run they'll blend in and they'll introduce new and interesting things from their culture. You should rejoice!

/s

Deleted
    What's wrong if most people on the server speak the same language and they do it in general/trade chats?
    It is chat for everybody, isn't it?
    You don't like it - mute, create an english-speaking guild and play with others who can speak english.
    It is normal and okay for certain nationality to handpick 1-2 server and massively overrun them - that's how mmo-s work, there are many young, unexperienced people who don't speak english, so they try to find a server with as many people with the same nationality as possible - that is what makes them feel safe.
    What's wrong with that?
    *shakes head*

And enforcing English? Are you kidding me? Englanization <?>, like a new 1940+ esque Germanization and Russification? Wow mate, wow.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Number of English speaking countries in EU is approaching zero.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Yeah, not like in the past when everyone spoke English.

Germans, French, Italians, just greedy coming up with these new languages of their own and thinking they can speak them!

10+ Year Old Account
    When Russian realms were opened just before the WoTLK and Blizzard more or less forced us to transfer to them thees realms for some time were treated like some kind of "reservation" with no access to wider player community, especially for those who chose to convert the account from EU to RU version (but! sub cost for Ru was like 2 times lower, now like 1.5 times lower). Those who kept paying more and still had the EU account could choose any type of realm.
    But the most still chose to be on the local realms, with everyone speaking their language.

Since for a long time the realm boundaries are broken and any activity can now be done cross realm - it's absolutely not a problem.

Local realms are just channels with local language i guess.
    And it purely depends on Blizzard if they are willing to spend more money to keep more hardware running or not.

It's been like this since vanilla and nothing new. I remember that Shadow Moon became the Czech Rep realm when a lot moved to Magtheridon, I believe Frostmane is the Swedish realm and there is also an Italian server.

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    0/8

/10chars.
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke.

There isn't enough Polish, Hungarian, Swedish, Danish or whichever players to justify addition of these lang groups and thus localising game into these languages.

For instance, the only reason why Portuguese-speaking players have their own realm in EU is because there's ptBR localisation that's done for Brazilian WoW, there's no ptPT localisation and they don't have their own lang group either...

So right now the only way for these people, whose languages aren't officially supported, to play together is to create "reservations" by occupying certain EN EU realms.
    Last edited by ls-; 2017-07-27 at 09:35 AM.

Deleted
    Jaaa Krusty spritzen der Gaswasser...!

Honestly the change I see is that even though more and more local color happens, actually a lot more do speak english aswell.
    That was worse before and the willingness or ability to switch to english wasn't there.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Really? Didn't know that. Learn something every day....

But can they use "our" main chat channels, too? Because I was thinking that CRZ is the reason at first as well
    I dont know, but it probable that you use the main chat channels of the shard you are on currently.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    You could do it WITHOUT game localization, that is if Blizzard cared for it. There are already servers that are unofficially e.g. Polish or Greek. All you'd need it to mark them somehow and allow people to transfer away from that realm or to that realm as they want.
    You can't do so w/o providing some sort of localisation, either sound or text has to be translated, otherwise it's called false advertisement or just fraud and Blizz can be sued for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    If you're not Russian, German, Italian, French, Spanish or Portuguese, there really isn't any option but to choose an English-speaking realm. And, to be honest, I've never heard native English speakers bitch about it on these realms so far, but I don't know why they would - everyone almost always speaks English. Personally, If there existed a realm for my language, I wouldn't go there - I'm surrounded by people from my country on an everyday basis and I never understood why anyone would want to do that in a game as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post

There are russian/slavic language realms

Quote Originally Posted by HolgerDK View Post
    0/8

/10chars.
    Well he is not wrong. There is one country in EU where English is official language, and they gave invoked Article 50.