Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bordomir View Post
    Hi guys, I want to get back into MMORPG's but was wondering if it was too late to start WoW.
    Many games are coming out in the next years (Crowfall, CU, Ashes of Creation and many more) and I am scared if this means WoW will somehow die.
    What do you think, can it last for some more year?.
    Yes. It's too late. You will not enjoy WoW as a new player.

- The questing feels disconnected
    - Classes have too many RPG aspects (which makes the game boring)
    - The story isn't coherent. You will NOT understand why you are where you are and what you're doing
    - The path to max level is boring overall
    - If you manage to reach max level, you will not have anything to do. There's a lack of content and patches
    - Endgame is extremely easy(personal opinion here)
    - The community is toxic towards new players and noobs in general

Deleted
    It's certainly not too late, but you do have to wonder if you want to start in a 12 year old game instead of a newer game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Evangeliste View Post
    Although I agree with oyu, you can't portray the masses against the minority - even yourself you're saying to the opposite. I've seen many new players even in Trade asking and people tell them google Wowhead not to be a dick, but being genuine about it.

You always get the big dick shouter groups, the tryhards, the arrogant bastards in any online game. You won't find that much until you start trying to be competitive - levelling zones for the most part will be their experience until they reach endgame - we plough through leveling as older players they probably won't so they will spend days if not weeks compared to us in hours. When they get to end level they will be in dungeons and LFR, you mostly will get carried because that's how it has gotten.

Personally, I always inspect dungeon players if they mess up to see any heirlooms or achievements and address them as a new player, I don't treat older players differently but I will say "Do you know this fight as a healer?" compared to "So you understand whats going on - would you like me to explain?".

For every nice player a new player will meet 10 horrible people. I was just remembering the BC time walking event we just had. A dps was lost and had no idea what was going on and lost track of the group. I had to stop a vote kick over 8 times to keep the player in the group.

All the while they were bullying him. He didn't even have one heirloom on him. He was a fresh player. I told the group to please play nice, hes obviously new. All the while complaing how long this is taking, hes pulling mobs by accident, and waiting for him.

Hi guys, I want to get back into MMORPG's but was wondering if it was too late to start WoW.
    Many games are coming out in the next years (Crowfall, CU, Ashes of Creation and many more) and I am scared if this means WoW will somehow die.
    What do you think, can it last for some more year?.
    Let's see.

Crowfall. Not really paid attention to this personally.

Ashes of Creation. Asking for more money when it was already funded, sub model and some of the dev team is rumoured to be linked to pyramid schemes.

Camelot Unchained. Focusing on PvP primarily if I recall. In my opinion MMOs should cater to as many players as possible.

So no I think WoW is safe for the time being.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post

- The story isn't coherent. You will NOT understand why you are where you are and what you're doing
    - If you manage to reach max level, you will not have anything to do. There's a lack of content and patches
    No it's not at all. You have no idea whether new players will enjoy WoW.

I have friends who started in Legion and are loving it.

1. Uhm there is story for each zone. Where is the disconnection?
    2. RPG aspects in a Role Playing Game? What a shocker.
    3. How do you know they won't? Lot of the story in each of the zones is quite coherent. Especially the zones starting from Wrath.
    4. Subjective.
    5. Guess all that content I've been doing is nonexistent.
    6. Link your 9/9 Tomb Mythic or Gladiator if content is "too easy". Or step up and do the harder content.
    7. Subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by KronosIII View Post
    Going to be very honest about this.

This game is extremely cancerous to new players. Majority of the players have played for many years and will outright refuse to help, hold hands, or support new players at all. The raiding community is extremely elitist even though this is just a silly video game.

As far as starting from level 1 the experience is quite dated. It got a revamp in cataclysm but that was years ago and mmos have evolved even more since then. I highly recommend you have friends to play with if you are new.

Also using your free level 100 is absolutely overwhelming for new players even more so in legion. You have your talent trees, artifact slots, Artifact power and artifact knowledge, spells in general, all thrown at you at once. And all the tutorial does is maybe only show 5 spells when you easily have over 25 spells to use.

Majority of the players are old players. New players are normally turned away quite quickly or discouraged with how cancerous the community is to new players.

You are expected to know everything, and even watch boss fights before you actually play them or get kicked 90% of the time.

Even in low levels in dungeon finder. Players love to vote kick or bully new players that are simply lost or not know what to do. Instead of explaining you will get kicked.

So honestly the biggest hurdle is the cancerous elitist community. I've been playing since Vanilla myself and I honestly hate the treatment of new players in this game. It's similar to league of legends in certain ways.
    Just because you're toxic doesn't mean everyone is.

Inb4 useless anecdotal "evidence".

Deleted
    I don't think it's too late, but don't think you should use a 100 boost either.

I last levelled a character up from scratch just before Legion launched, I took a warlock from 1 to 70ish before I got bored and I actually quite enjoyed the Cata revamp.

I think most people who heavily criticise the levelling system have just done it too many times - I can still count on one hand how many chars I've levelled past 60 in this game over the last 12 years, so it still remains fairly fresh for me - and for a new player I don't think it will be too disappointed.

The notes on the community are valid, but honestly no different than any other online game.

It would be refreshing to play with somebody who's genuinely new to the game, so if you're EU based - feel free to look us up for a guild invite, just so that you've got somebody to smack talk you in a friendly sort of way.

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post

Stop spewing garbage all over the place. Just because you're salty doesn't mean you're right, and every single thing you listed was a subjective opinion. Objectively there are only 50~ players who have beaten all current PvE end game content and they claim it was one of the hardest raids yet. Additionally, there are thousands of end game hours to complete, and just because you choose to limit yourself to a certain part of the content doesn't mean that it's not there. See my point?

Ignore the "skip to 100" crowd. If you are buying a game, enjoy the whole game. Enjoy the trip, not just the destination. People rush to get to max level and then get bored doing the same thing over and over. It's like buying FF9 and only playing the last hour, and beating the last boss dozens of times. There are countless storylines (both Horde and Alliance) to follow and dozens of zones to explore.

Have FUN

7+ Year Old Account
    It's not too late to start now, but it will be too late a year from now. WoW has 2 expansion remaining at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Redwyrm View Post
    Ignore the "skip to 100" crowd. If you are buying a game, enjoy the whole game. Enjoy the trip, not just the destination. People rush to get to max level and then get bored doing the same thing over and over. It's like buying FF9 and only playing the last hour, and beating the last boss dozens of times. There are countless storylines (both Horde and Alliance) to follow and dozens of zones to explore.

Have FUN
    Why?

If someone wants to skip to 100 then it is their decision.

OP make up your mind. If you want to start from scratch or start at 100 either is fine.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arainie View Post
    "It's my first time here, is there anything I should know?"
    I've seen people kicked for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    Because the game starts when the leveling ends. For the most part.
    That's debatable. It's perfectly possible to enjoy the game casually without touching any endgame content. Each to their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Prawnapple View Post
    It's not too late to start now, but it will be too late a year from now. WoW has 2 expansion remaining at best.
    Source?

Blizzard have stated their intent to keep WoW going for as long as it is profitable. Judging by the quarterly reports it seems to be doing just fine.

Oh and games can survive on less than 1 million subs/players just fine. It's been proven.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    I've seen people kicked for that.
    Yeah and I remember in 5.2 when people were kicked from ToT LFR for wearing the store helms.

People are petty on the internet. It's not acceptable I agree but that's the problem with the internet. Anonymity.

Deleted
    If you noticed a trend here. A BIG part in a successful new player is friends. If you don't have friends and you start from nothing you will have a hard time. However same can be said for any game. WOW just happens to have a huge hurdle compared to other games.

As to the person saying he has friends that were new that are now "mythic" raiding they had a friend for support. And that support to find a guild and get a guild invite also. A friend to talk to and play the game with through times.

Highly important you build personal connections with people in this game. Old players with vast knowledge no longer need connections but for new players it is a blessing. There will be times when you get confused and don't know what to do. And all people say is go to wowhead. Which is fine but not the right answer.

Deleted
    Think.

You never touched the game before. You know nothing about it. You get a free level 100.

INSTANT overwhelming amount of abilities to learn and talents to choose from. Every new player I heard getting the free 100 is a disastrous experience. The game should really be started at level 1 as is designed. But the leveling experience is so dated and old.
    Play an arms warrior or havoc DH or frost mage.

enjoy your 3 button spec.

- - - Updated - - -

If you noticed a trend here. A BIG part in a successful new player is friends. If you don't have friends and you start from nothing you will have a hard time. However same can be said for any game. WOW just happens to have a huge hurdle compared to other games.

As to the person saying he has friends that were new that are now "mythic" raiding they had a friend for support. And that support to find a guild and get a guild invite also. A friend to talk to and play the game with through times.

Highly important you build personal connections with people in this game. Old players with vast knowledge no longer need connections but for new players it is a blessing. There will be times when you get confused and don't know what to do. And all people say is go to wowhead. Which is fine but not the right answer.
    "friends" depends on your goals. If you want to raid mythic content then yeah you need a guild and a bit of luck if you have 0 experience(youll have to depend on guild hopping from weaker guilds to better, really), but they certainly aren't your friends.

I resubbed barely 2 months ago and from scratch have both a 923 death knight and warrior with both dps+tank sets and just do normal/heroic tomb clears on pugs and the mandatory +15.

Watch some fatboss videos, any mythic++ run with commentary, a class guide from preach or whatever, icyveins(but don't take it 100% as fact) and you'll be set.

Nope, its not too late.
    You will get one free 100 level of course, but you can avoid to use it right from the start if you enjoy leveling and story progressing.

Somehow... yes. in 10 years maybe.
    Everquest is still alive somehow, come on )

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fluttershypony View Post
    Play an arms warrior or havoc DH or frost mage.

enjoy your 3 button spec.

- - - Updated - - -

"friends" depends on your goals. If you want to raid mythic content then yeah you need a guild and a bit of luck if you have 0 experience(youll have to depend on guild hopping from weaker guilds to better, really), but they certainly aren't your friends.

I resubbed barely 2 months ago and from scratch have both a 923 death knight and warrior with both dps+tank sets and just do normal/heroic tomb clears on pugs and the mandatory +15.

Watch some fatboss videos, any mythic++ run with commentary, a class guide from preach or whatever, icyveins(but don't take it 100% as fact) and you'll be set.
    Yes you resubbed, you are not a new player. This is a new player that knows little to nothing about the game. It's easy for all of us veteran players to hop back in after a year and clear high level content. We understand the ins and outs of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleccybubb View Post
    Why?

If someone wants to skip to 100 then it is their decision.

OP make up your mind. If you want to start from scratch or start at 100 either is fine.
    Hey, I'm just trying to help people get the maximum enjoyment for the money they spend. If he wants to spend the money and only play 10% of the game, more power to him.

10+ Year Old Account
    never too late.
    wow won't die, people stating this are deconnected from the economic reality
    and even if it dies the game is worth your time, that's your only chance to get an official progression

Absolutely not true.

I started WoW with no friends and I was stepping into ICC within just over a month of dinging 80.

It's not highly important you build connections either. You can easily find information online.

And my friends did most of that on their own. I didn't recommend them into any guild. They found one. They applied for one and was accepted. They picked up the game well without me.

WoW has no hurdles at all. It is the easiest of the MMOs out there to get into. Very disingenuous to say it has a huge hurdle when it's one of the most accessible and most casual friendly MMOs out there.
    Last edited by Eleccybubb; 2017-07-27 at 12:49 PM.