Page 1 of 28
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

HBO reveals new series to come, "Confederate"

So the producers of Game of Thrones just revealed the next project they're working on, named "Confederate". As of yet there's no actors, no script, and not even a plot yet, just a concept.

"An America where the South won the war, and slavery is a part of contemporary American life."

Lots of people from BOTH sides are raising a stink about this one, on the left people are saying it will "romanticize" slavery for the white supremacists, and on the right there's claims that it's "stupid because slavery wouldn't have lasted".

Initially, they trotted out the producers from Game of Thrones, a couple of white people, who will be executive producers. But then once controversy began after the reveal, they trotted out their second set of executive producers for the show, two black people, who are defending the concept.

Personally, I think the concept is really cool, and HBO generally does a really good job with "what if?" type shows. It has the potential to go bad, for multiple reasons, but it'll probably be a big hit.

http://www.npr.org/2017/07/27/539714...es-confederate
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Always loved "What if?" types of shows, and man oh man I can already hear the protests.

It's an interesting enough concept that I have no problem with people exploring. I will agree with the logic half of "it wouldn't have lasted", not the maybe anger. Once the industrial revolution starts, no amount of beating and free labor is going to outdo machinery.

Lol the right claiming that slavery wouldn't be a thing in a war majority fought over slavery is hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Helryx View Post
    Always loved "What if?" types of shows, and man oh man I can already hear the protests.

Yeah people are already complaining which doesn't make much sense because The Man in the High Castle is a thing. Also don't remember hearing anything when 12 Years A Slave was coming out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems like the louder the outrage from a particular basket, the better the show.

I would really like to see what they can do with a universe they can shape on their own.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    Yeah people are already complaining which doesn't make much sense because The Man in the High Castle is a thing. Also don't remember hearing anything when 12 Years A Slave was coming out.
    12 YAS got tons of flak. Espcially when it started to win awards.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure none of the protagonists are going to be pro slavery, so I don't see what the fucking butthurt is about.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Yuh I guess they never heard of "man in the High castle" either...

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't recall it's name but isn't there a very similar show where Germany won WW2 and took over the US?

I mean the show's entire premise is Nazis literally becoming a world power and last I remember it was doing very well ratings wise.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Assbandit View Post
    I can't recall it's name but isn't there a very similar show where Germany won WW2 and took over the US?

I mean the show's entire premise is Nazis literally becoming a world power and last I remember it was doing very well ratings wise.
    Man in the High Castle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account
    Sounds like it could be very cool with a lot of potential for interesting characters and stories. Unfortunately these days, the show will be constantly under heavy scrutiny whenever any character dies or is mistreated. Game of Thrones already gets shit for lack of diversity and when prominent female characters die.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Assbandit View Post

Mentioned already, Man in the High Castle.

As for the topic: it's fucking TV show. Watch it or don't. It's HBO anyway to it'll just be vulgarity in place of plot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venara
    Half this forum would be permanently banned if we did everything some of our users regularly demand or otherwise expect us to do.
    Actual blue mod response on doing what they volunteered to do. No wonder this place is infested.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    Man in the High Castle.
    That's the one, just googled it. Been meaning to watch it but it's on my very very long backlog of movies and shows to catch up on.
    "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all outta ass."

I'm a British gay Muslim Pakistani American citizen, ask me how that works! (terribly)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stop Pretending View Post
    Man in the High Castle.
    I hate that show and all "what if". These things always ignore the guys who finance everything, which will then simply win either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Yat-Yas View Post
    Sounds like it could be very cool with a lot of potential for interesting characters and stories. Unfortunately these days, the show will be constantly under heavy scrutiny whenever any character dies or is mistreated. Game of Thrones already gets shit for lack of diversity and when prominent female characters die.
    So people just act outraged for the sake of it. The diversity argument for Game of Thrones doesn't make any sense. Pretty sure more male main character have been killed off than female ones. What's the issue exactly?

The South will rise again. As someone from Mississippi, I'm pretty excited for it, especially if it's handled well. I'm assuming it's going to push some stupid political agenda instead of trying to actually follow the other things the South believed in. Believe it or not, the entire war wasn't about slavery. Sure that was a huge part of it, and a tactical move on Lincoln's end to make sure that France, who wanted to support the Confederacy, couldn't interfere as they had recently abolished slavery and their people would make a huge stink about it, but it wasn't the sole reason for the war.

I'm sure no one actually cares about interesting historical "what if"s in Hollywood though, and it'll just be a show with the amazing deep message of "SLAVERY IS BAD".

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Good thing it's a FICTIONAL FUCKING SHOW and people complaining about it as if it's real will just basically paint a giant "I'm a fucking moron" label on their foreheads.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Lol the right claiming that slavery wouldn't be a thing in a war majority fought over slavery is hilarious.
    Nobodies saying slavery didn't exist. What people are saying is slavery wouldn't have lasted. Not forever at least, and certainly not until the modern day. For slavery to have been sustained in the United States, it would've had to at least have been tolerated in Europe.

But let's assume that slavery was able to exist until at least the second world war after the confederacy won the war, in order for slavery to continue I'd be willing to bet that democracy would've had to have been overthrown, turning the US, or in this case the CS, into some sort of totalitarian regime. I'd imagine it even lead to very different outcomes in WW2, as the pro slavery CSA regime would find themselves siding with Hitler's agenda. Leading to a possible German victory in Europe and a new American empire encompassing at least North America. So I'd imagine the world would be a very different place indeed.

That being said, I'd think the show has real potential, as long as it is done right. If it's done wrong, it will be an absolute train wreck.
    Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    WoW is ending soon. Mark my words right here right now.
    They're shifting to a Diablo MMO and putting World of Warcraft on hold for the moment/a while.
    Prophet tikcol at your disposal any day, any time.
    Spoken by the great prophet on 6/29/17

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Way to completely miss the point.

Whats the QQ about.

They wanted more blacks in tv no? Now they got a chance, pretty sure they will need to cast a fuckton of black actors.