Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Field Marshal
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    So people just act outraged for the sake of it. The diversity argument for Game of Thrones doesn't make any sense. Pretty sure more male main character have been killed off than female ones. What's the issue exactly?
    There isn't an issue. The reason GoT lacks diversity is justifiable for the franchise and the show has a lot of female characters in very major roles, especially the season airing now. A lot of the female characters are very cool and interesting too in my opinion. It's just people want to take offense to things they feel their public persona would be offended by.

Now if the GoT following has people like that, imagine the shitstorm that would occur if the show the creators and HBO are thinking about producing actually happened haha

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Way to completely miss the point.
    It's what he does best.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    We only burn oil in this house! Oil that comes from decent, god-fearing sources like dinosaurs! Which didn't exist!

7+ Year Old Account
    Someone needs to post this to the sites these people are bitching on: "News Flash: No one gives a shit what you think."

Quote Originally Posted by Yat-Yas View Post
    There isn't an issue. The reason GoT lacks diversity is justifiable for the franchise and the show has a lot of female characters in very major roles, especially the season airing now. A lot of the female characters are very cool and interesting too in my opinion. It's just people want to take offense to things they feel their public persona would be offended by.
    The entire "need diversity in fiction" bit is pretty infantile from the start.

while it being controversial it is history and it can teach people
    mr pickles

Quote Originally Posted by Sky High View Post
    Yuh I guess they never heard of "man in the High castle" either...
    I couldn't get into the show. Liked the premise, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    I couldn't get into the show. Liked the premise, though.
    I liked it until the origin of the films was

magic Asian man who can change realities by taking a nap at his desk

This was already done in a great ass movie http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0389828/
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

"...a nation in which slavery...has evolved into a modern institution."

So, it's a sort of documentary? Got it.
    I quit the game, and this happens:
    "You can now mount while under the skeleton effect of the Noggenfogger Elixir!"
    Are you effing kidding me?!?!
    Remember 3.0.......

10+ Year Old Account
    Are we pretending slavery doesn't exist today in America then?

Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    Are we pretending slavery doesn't exist today in America then?

Whos a slave in the U.S now?
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless it depicts the South as a patchwork of cotton republics, it's going to have some contrived ass worldbuilding going on.

And here's hoping they don't go the Gone With the Wind route and glorify the South.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by lewdest View Post
    The South will rise again. As someone from Mississippi, I'm pretty excited for it, especially if it's handled well. I'm assuming it's going to push some stupid political agenda instead of trying to actually follow the other things the South believed in. Believe it or not, the entire war wasn't about slavery. Sure that was a huge part of it, and a tactical move on Lincoln's end to make sure that France, who wanted to support the Confederacy, couldn't interfere as they had recently abolished slavery and their people would make a huge stink about it, but it wasn't the sole reason for the war.

I'm sure no one actually cares about interesting historical "what if"s in Hollywood though, and it'll just be a show with the amazing deep message of "SLAVERY IS BAD".
    And this is the reason we don't need fan fic like this shit.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    There is basically no way they can avoid upsetting SJWs. Show the reality of slavery and you get an uproar from people it triggered (see asansa rape scene). Don't show the reality and get hammered for whitewashing slavery.
    The uproar over the rape scene was because a) it's not in the book b) it was yet another casual use of rape as cheap way to create drama. That trope is overplayed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elba View Post
    And this is the reason we don't need fan fic like this shit.
    Retroactively absolving themselves of the fact that yes, the Confederacy was a despicable state founded for despicable reasons.

Which is doubly amusing since these are the same people who say 'slavery was 160 years ago, get over it' and then aren't willing to just admit that the Confederacy was bad because it's -heritage- and it matters suddenly.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    The entire "need diversity in fiction" bit is pretty infantile from the start.
    How so? People want to see themselves represented in fiction. If there were hardly any white dudes on TV, games or books y'all would throw the greatest shit fit the world has ever seen. Look at how much they already complain at every little bit of diversity ever.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Retroactively absolving themselves of the fact that yes, the Confederacy was a despicable state founded for despicable reasons.

Which is doubly amusing since these are the same people who say 'slavery was 160 years ago, get over it' and then aren't willing to just admit that the Confederacy was bad because it's -heritage- and it matters suddenly.
    I bet you some morons will go in confederate cosplay to big cons, and someone will get punched in the mouth over it. When not if.

Some people are already demonizing it.
    A New York Times writer declared "I don't want to watch Slavery Fan Fiction".
    Another called it "white nonsense".

If HBO does it right it will be a good show. They are playing with fire though.
    I akin it to when a woman dares you to a wrestling match. No matter what you are going to 'lose'. If you win that wrestling match you are the guy that bests a woman. If she bests you, then you are the guy that got bested by the woman. It is a no win proposition. Unless you play your cards very very carefully...
    Last edited by Allybeboba; 2017-07-28 at 02:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    It's an interesting enough concept that I have no problem with people exploring. I will agree with the logic half of "it wouldn't have lasted", not the maybe anger. Once the industrial revolution starts, no amount of beating and free labor is going to outdo machinery.
    Industry? Productive slaves are still slaves, and industry loves the cheapest labor. There is nothing exclusionary about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    I akin it to when a woman dares you to a wrestling match. No matter what you are going to 'lose'. If you win that wrestling match you are the guy that beat a woman. If she beats you, then you are the guy that got beat by the woman. It is a no win proposition. Unless you play your cards very very carefully...
    You would use that comparison versus a comparison to white mishandling of racially sensitive subjects in media, wouldn't you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kelathos View Post
    Industry? Productive slaves are still slaves, and industry loves the cheapest labor. There is nothing exclusionary about it.
    There is; slave economies tend to be fundamentally anemic since the labor is done by a group of people who are not consumers, and in turn the people who would otherwise being consuming things have very little means of income. The South was almost entirely reliant on its export market to the North and to Britain to survive; you know, in the same vein as a lot of developing countries who rely on one or two export commodities and end up being banana republics. We'd have seen a string of them from Texas to Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    So people just act outraged for the sake of it. The diversity argument for Game of Thrones doesn't make any sense. Pretty sure more male main character have been killed off than female ones. What's the issue exactly?
    Usually the issue is agency. Violence against female characters is often exploitative, the female characters are mere victims, powerless. Often the whole thing is sexualized. Also, GoT doesn't exist in a vacuum. There are quite a few negative tropes when it comes to on female violence in media as a whole. Fridging, rape as drama etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    You would use that comparison versus a comparison to white mishandling of racially sensitive subjects in media, wouldn't you.
    A physical sporting competition?

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Some people are already demonizing it.
    A New York Times writer declared "I don't want to watch Slavery Fan Fiction".
    Another called it "white nonsense".
    Yeah, a lot of black people are tired of mostly white people exploiting and profiting off of their collective racial pain. Understandably.