Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Is 1984 becoming a reality?

The movie is free on youtube, watch it when you allocate time for a hour length film. What do you think about the movie? Are we headed in this direction, or are we already there? Let me know what you think.

https://youtu.be/fCZBnUt6rZ0

I think it's pretty funny that you're referring to 1984 as a movie. I guess it is also a movie, but that's not exactly the first thing that comes to mind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Salisbury, Rhodesia & Leiden , The Netherlands
    If people want to see a more recent Orwellian movie, check out the Circle. Same message but easier to watch.
    "This is no swaggering askari, no Idi Amin Dada, heavyweight boxing champion of the King's African Rifles, nor some wide shouldered, medal-strewn Nigerian general. This is an altogether more dangerous dictator - an intellectual, a spitefull African Robespierre who has outlasted them all." - The Fear: Robert Mugabe and the martyrdom of Zimbabwe, Peter Godwin.

Naw it just turns out that idiocracy wasn't just a movie, It was a prophecy.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

In what respect do you believe the world is becoming 1984?

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrysia View Post
    In what respect do you believe the world is becoming 1984?
    Big shoulderpads and Rubiks cubes are coming back !!!!

I didn't know there was a 1984 movie.

Try reading the book instead. And while you're at it, read Aldous Huxley's Brave New World. I see far, far more similarities between our current reality and Huxley's envisioning of a dystopian future than Orwell's.

10+ Year Old Account
    In a word, yes. I see parallels every day, from doublethink to the two-minutes hate.

Yes 1984 is a reality, why just yesterday the government stopped by my house and strapped a rat to my face.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Mittens View Post
    I didn't know there was a 1984 movie.
    More than once. I've never seen the OP linked version but the John Hurt version (made in 1984) is pretty good.

As for the original topic, I do indeed think large parts of that story are coming true. I don't remember it being mentioned much in the movie but in the books it was found that the three main nations(?) would get involved in wars with each other rotate with 2 of the 3 fighting a useless war non stop while the 3rd recovered and then swap every few years. This was done for no other purpose than to drive the economy (it's been years since I read it but I think so) and to rile people up/give them someone to hate and unify against. Especially in the west this feels especially true now. Not just in real wars but also in politics where half of the country hates the other half and doesn't realize it's mostly for no real reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Stretchie View Post
    More than once. I've never seen the OP linked version but the John Hurt version (made in 1984) is pretty good.

As for the original topic, I do indeed think large parts of that story are coming true. I don't remember it being mentioned much in the movie but in the books it was found that the three main nations(?) would get involved in wars with each other rotate with 2 of the 3 fighting a useless war non stop while the 3rd recovered and then swap every few years. This was done for no other purpose than to drive the economy (it's been years since I read it but I think so) and to rile people up/give them someone to hate and unify against. Especially in the west this feels especially true now. Not just in real wars but also in politics where half of the country hates the other half and doesn't realize it's mostly for no real reason.
    Iirc the government said there was a war, but its never made clear if there was an actual war.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Yes 1984 is a reality, why just yesterday the government stopped by my house and strapped a rat to my face.
    We just had a sitting president fully endorse police brutality a day or two ago. Just saying...

Quote Originally Posted by Bumbasta View Post
    If people want to see a more recent Orwellian movie, check out the Circle. Same message but easier to watch.
    I like Eggers, but "The Circle" is crap.

Deleted
    Most of this forum's posters weren't even alive yet in 1984.

Deleted
    No and people who keep saying it are usually ignorant of the topic

Ot: I don't think we are heading towards a 1984 reality, the government fails spectacularily at controlling the narrative. OP you should deffo see China if you want to see a country heading into that direction.

Deleted
    Trump is trying very hard. But fortunately, he is missing the intellect to become "big brother".

I became a reality in 1984, and it's my birthday today too.