Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Do these people have a fucking clue?

Of course it lacks fucking diversity. The British army was, get this, predominately British, which would be, in 1940, predominately white and male.

These same people get upset when non-Egyptians play Egyptians in movies like Exodus.
    I remember when these people stormed into the schools I attended, demanding that we change our mascots from "Braves" for the middle school and "Indians" for the high school. We had three small reservations in our county, and they were the biggest employers after the county itself, and they never had any problem with it in the 90+ years the schools had been around. Then these people came in, believing they had to express outrage on behalf of the Indians and cause trouble. Sadly they won. Don't remember what the middle school ended up as since I'd moved, but the high school ended up being rename the "Knights", yawn. My grandma's high school got hit with the same thing. They were also the Indians, and got forced to rename themselves the "Firebirds."
    The most difficult thing to do is accept that there is nothing wrong with things you don't like and accept that people can like things you don't.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Unhinged View Post
    I am not even alt right you. I have never voted conservative in my life because they are all backwards looking shit cunts. I am for universal healthcare/progressive policies but shit like this is just moronic. A story isn't better if you just shoe horn minorities into it.
    Uh-huh, you are a non-conservative who just happens to read an alt right publication which is known for making up clickbait stories designed to trigger white nationalists?

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    Uh-huh, you are a non-conservative who just happens to read an alt right publication which is known for making up clickbait stories designed to trigger white nationalists?
    I actually heard about it from somone at my work and when i googled it this was the first thing that came up. I guess the alt right know seo. But cotinue on your pointless tirade.

Just fyi about people whining and people whining about people.whining.First point dunkrik was fine. Second multiple time.in this thread a false statement is made that no women ever made it to the front during both world.war, this is incorrect. Just an example would be Russia during sieges using young women in as.foot.soldier. Thats just on example. If someone really.wanted to.make a.movie about a women combatant historically accurate, there is possibility to it.

Deleted
    Quick! Paint some british black!

I am joking but i'm gonna be completely honest. Claims of whitewashing are ilogical and disgusting when popular characters get sex or race changed to conform to those pressures.

Whitewashig isn't a thing. When characters are white, they should be white, when characters are written black of hispanic or whatever you want they should be that race. Painting white men in a different color to conform to whining is completely unnaceptable.

Film is already done, so suck it up and shut up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    What I will consider is that Rogue one and Streetfighter did it indeed for totally different reasons. Star Wars "A new hope" had an all white cast. It didn't need to be "more interesting" through adding different races. It is almost as if we admit Rogue One was so shit, it had to play the race card.

IMHO you have it totally right when you say "Street Fighter the video game ..... wasn't down to political correctness. It was because some people got bored of playing an all-american hero and occassionally wanted to play an indian fakir or a russian colossus." But I don't buy that innocence for most wanna-be blockbusters of today

Now don't get me wrong, nothing against a multi-cultural cast. And this is where the "genre-hopping" starts. But when you suddenly get a black female Iron man, a black spiderman, a black Nick Fury, a female Thor etc etc etc, I wonder what the reasons behind that are? Political correctness for the sake of it is one thing. Cashing in on bankable actors of colour is another.
    Yeah but remember the main criticism of "The Force Awakens" was that it is almost identical to "A New Hope". The female lead and black supporting actor helped deflate that criticism a lot.

I am not really in favour of diversity-casting for its own sake. I think the primary objective of making a film should be to make a good film. That said, for me in these cases the diversity-casting increased my enjoyment of the films and I have to acknowledge that despite it conflicting with that philosophy.

Btw I don't read comics but the female Thor thing-that does seem a bit silly frankly. I would find it difficult to believe that works artistically. Maybe as a one-off or something but not as a replacement for the original character.

.....and several people complained on the internet....
    Oh no!!! Someone do something, QUICK!

Deleted
    I actually heard about it from somone at my work and when i googled it this was the first thing that came up. I guess the alt right know seo. But cotinue on your pointless tirade.
    I don't think any one believes you. People posting this stuff always say exactly the same thing "I'm not alt.right/conservative BUT....". That is part of the alt.right playbook-I'm so moderate but the feminazis are taking over so I MUST POST SHIT ON THE INTERNET.

You post alt.right stuff you are alt.right regardless of how much you might be non-partisan in your own mind.

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    the answer to their criticism is simply "make your own version".

diversity of cast doesn't instantly make something better. the story being told does.
    In fiction, I tend to agree. But if a minority is left out of a movie based on actual events, for whatever reason, it fails to correctly represent history. I don't know if that's the case with this movie, I just mean in general.
    Mother pus bucket!

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    I don't think any one believes you. People posting this stuff always say exactly the same thing "I'm not alt.right/conservative BUT....". That is part of the alt.right playbook-I'm so moderate but the feminazis are taking over so I MUST POST SHIT ON THE INTERNET.

You post alt.right stuff you are alt.right regardless of how much you might be non-partisan in your own mind.
    It's almost like forums are for posting things to dicuss....you are just as bad as the alt right just hanging about to label everyone. You are the other side of their coin. You have literally added nothing constructive.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ouch View Post
    Just fyi about people whining and people whining about people.whining.First point dunkrik was fine. Second multiple time.in this thread a false statement is made that no women ever made it to the front during both world.war, this is incorrect. Just an example would be Russia during sieges using young women in as.foot.soldier. Thats just on example. If someone really.wanted to.make a.movie about a women combatant historically accurate, there is possibility to it.
    While it is correct that Dunkirk was mostly an all-male affair, your broader point is quite interesting.

There are woman on the front line of major conflicts in the world. Notably in Iraq among Kurdish fighters who I believe have been very effective, and also in Ukraine.

It would probably be better for feminists to focus on these things rather than mess around with stuff where they'll get accused of historical revisionism. There must be a lot of interesting stories to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Peppered View Post
    Dunkirk was a stunning movie adaptation of the events of the actual Dunkirk evacuationt during ww2 but I can't say I enjoyed it in the conventional sense. It always ruins my day to read shit about the grisly details of either ww1 or ww2 and seeing Dunkirk with its level of historical accuracy with the soldiers portrayed to very obviously be young men in their late teens or early 20s just further drives home the terror.

Not that an older soldier dying is in the slightest bit less tragic but it just adds to the layer of horror to be reminded that most soldiers who died in ww2 were younger than I am now.
    This. The movie was really good, but also really unenjoyable for me. As much as I don't mind people getting slaughtered in sci-fi/fantasy movies and such, I really dislike watching atrocities from our own history.

Quote Originally Posted by Very Tired View Post
    On topic: I noticed a lot of the outrage over Dunkirk is actually pretty manufactured to appear as though this is a common thing seen by some extreme SJWs or something. One article simply stated the fact that the movie doesn't have many actors of color or woman, not as a criticism but a single sentence just stating a basic FACT about the film... and another article swoops it up like this thread. Complaining about those darn SJWs and how historical accuracy doesn't matter to them. People were all to eager to rally behind the seemingly common sense cause against it.
    Honestly, just the fact someone has the urge to point this out proves how messed up the western civilization is.

7+ Year Old Account
    It's almpst like forums are for posting things to dicuss....you are just as bad as the alt right just hanging about to label everyone. You are the other side of their coin. You have literally added nothing constructive.
    Advanta is a self proclaimed Greek putinista, take anything it posts with a grain of salt.

Deleted
    It's almpst like forums are for posting things to dicuss....you are just as bad as the alt right just hanging about to label everyone. You are the other side of their coin. You have literally added nothing constructive.
    You posted to a conservative source which is known for baiting alt.righters. You got called on it. Stop whining, it is pathetic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bladeXcrasher View Post
    Advanta is a self proclaimed Greek putinista, take anything it posts with a grain of salt.
    I have friends on the front line in west Ukraine and I'm of Polish ancestry (we don't have good relations with the Russians), not sure where you got Putinista from.

I've never been to Greece.

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    Sure find a link that tells us that russians had women on the frontlines. There were many women on the frontlines of all nations in WW2, mostly doing nursing, combatmedic, radio transmitting, air raid signaling, rationing, hospitalization, resistance movement and working in factories.

Most working on the "home front" but doing a simple google search also states that the British women were not drafted into combat units, but could volunteer for combat duty in anti-aircraft units, which shot down German planes and V-1 missiles. Civilian women joined the Special Operations Executive (SOE), which used them in high-danger roles as secret agents and underground radio operators in Nazi occupied Europe.

So in Britain they needed aprox 1.5 million for the army and 800.000 for munitions and the rest. Out of those 600.000 were women. Aprox 400.000 british, french, polish, belgian and netherlandish soldiers fought in the battle of dunkirk. So a wild guess would properly be 1% were women? so 4000.

But sure the movie needs a woman/colored lead

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Hehe, but that is J.J. Abrahams, the master of soft reboots (and the reason we may just get very formulaic stories because it works on the basis that people love to see things they know. Oh look..it is an x-wing..but it is black. Oh look, a robot like R2 D2, but with a cooler way to move. A desert planet..is it Tatooine?)

I have stopped reading Comics a long time ago, but still vaguely follow what happens in the Comics of my youth. Black Spiderman, Ironman as a girl..yeah..I would get that as a "passing of the torch" thing (no idea how the girl got spidey powers though). And ofc Supergirl / batgirl / spiderwoman have been around for a long time - but as a completely different character to the original hero.

Thor as woman? Indeed, just like you I cannot wrap my head around it. Let's go to the extremes and baffle me. Let us do a black Captain America. Or a Native American Captain America, now THAT would be awesome.

If you can do a female Thor, and a female SpiderMAN, do Wonderwoman as a black transgender or a gay guy ^^
    Good points, I agree.

So there are lots of critical reviews of Dunkirk doing the rounds of how it is whitewashed and lacks diversity. Having seen the movie, I would say these people just love to get offended for the sake of it. They are oxygen thieves.

It is a story tild from an english centric viewpoint about the evacuation at Dunkirk, of coarse it will be about white men. You know the ones that layed down their lives for many of these muppets freedoms.

What are your thoughts?

Story removed because some people are pathetic.
    Soon every movie and show will have to have

A woman
    A minority
    A minority woman
    A gay character
    A transgender

It's rather sad that people who preach the loudest that your race, gender, and sexual preference shouldn't matter (and it shouldnt) they sure do get upset when someone who doesn't represent these things are not in said movie/show. This in turn makes them hypocrites.

I wonder why no Deadpool 2 thread is open yet that bitches about Domino is now played by a black women.

I find it hilarious that there are people are genuinely outraged in this thread over this particular thread. All idiots and the OP is just a perv rubbing off while reading all of this.
    AMD Build: | CPU: FX-9590 OEM 8-Core(4.7 GHz) Black Edition | GPU: STRIX R9 380 2GB(x1) | Ram: 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
    Main: Samsung 850 500GB | BU: WDC Caviar Blue 2TB(x2) | Power: Corsair CX500 | Mobo: Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 [Old faithful!]

Now my living room center piece and open case HTPC.

10+ Year Old Account
    So there are lots of critical reviews of Dunkirk doing the rounds of how it is whitewashed and lacks diversity.
    The people who wrote them need to get a life.