Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Casual tri-speccing

Hi,

I was wondering: is it viable for a casual monk playing around 20 hours/week to tri-spec at the max level? I do not want to do bleeding-edge mythic content, but would like to do normals/heroic raids in a nice non-hardcore guild plus some mythic dungeons. I like all three specs and how they tackle the individual roles. My questions would be as follows:

1) Do the guilds want this, or are you usually forced to main a spec?
    2) Is there a certain Artifact Power threshold that you need to cross to be viable with a spec?
    3) Are there raids where you multispec within a single raid?

I have raided before - my most fond memories are feral in TBC Kara 10M, cat DPSing on one fight and bear tanking on another was really great, it felt very versatile and I would like to recreate the experience. However, since MoP I haven't raided much and things are bit different now, hence the questions.

Deleted
    Hello

I dont really raid myself anymore due to lack of time, but my friends do clear heroic weekly in a casual guild
    Both of them play atleast 2 specs and sometimes switch depending on what the guild needs... Mostly play their main spec though
    If you stick with your monk and dont have too many alts, then it should not be a problem seeing as casuals normally dont require too much

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Malaparte View Post
    I was wondering: is it viable for a casual monk playing around 20 hours/week to tri-spec at the max level?
    Hours is hard to judge, as it depends on the person playing. Some people are super good at learning multiple specs, some are not. How much time you put in doesn't always show in your performance when playing your offspecs. But those people that CAN perform multiple roles are worth their weight in gold compared to hybrids that can only play one spec well.

1. You will mostly play your main spec, but being able to switch if needed is awesome. Let's say you're dps and your raid needs a bit more healing, you can switch. If there's a fight with a ton of adds and your regular tanks just can't grab them all fast enough, you can go offtank, grab some and still do a decent amount of damage. If you're tanking or healing and you don't reeeeeeally need to be there because there's only one tank needed or you have far too much healing, switch to DPS and slap your enemies with your fists, you'll be loved by everyone in the raid
    2. At this point in the expansion, I'm assuming most guilds would expect Concordance on your mainspec and close to it on offspecs. It's not that hard to get, so should be a decent requirement for the level of gameplay you're looking for.
    3. Depends on the fights and performance of the individual raidgroups (overgearing makes stuff easier), so see point 1.

It's always good, if you are able to play each role, but you'll mainly play your main spec and sometimes your sec spec
    Regarding your artifact: you can pretty much reach each of your weapons conc. in some hours and more than rank 1 isn't really needed. More is always better, but the difference is small
    If you main heal or dd, it's possible that you have to switch to the other, depending on the fight and group, but if you play tank, it's unlikely that you will switch, because every boss in tos needs 2 tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodyleech View Post
    you can pretty much reach each of your weapons conc. in some hours and more than rank 1 isn't really needed. More is always better, but the difference is small
    If you start from zero you'll need nearly 6.7 billion artifact power to get concordance in three weapons. You don't get that "in some hours".

But yeah, you'll get there eventually. The biggest problem are probably legendaries. And if you're unlucky you can wait for good legendaries for a loooong time, even for one spec.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by thebdc View Post
    If you start from zero you'll need nearly 6.7 billion artifact power to get concordance in three weapons. You don't get that "in some hours".

But yeah, you'll get there eventually. The biggest problem are probably legendaries. And if you're unlucky you can wait for good legendaries for a loooong time, even for one spec.
    I mean, yes, you do.
    You can get 300 million AP an hour by half afking nether portals.

Yes, it's quite possible, although you probably won't have BiS legendaries on each spec.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

For Azeroth!
    15+ Year Old Account
    It is possible of course.

Biggest wall of RNG are legendaries, even with bad luck protection now counting per spec, you might not get the ones you really want right away since there's still a lot them.

It all depends how much M+/Raiding you do, I suppose putting all time in 1 character still is more friendly then many alts.

AP is much easier now, and even faster in 7.3 where everyone will aquire AP at 4x the current max rate day 1, and will eventually automaticly speed up to 150x the current speed after 14 weeks.

Gear isn't too bad, but obviously you can swap loot spec without changing role at all, if you need certain relic types or trinkets (also affects legendary bad luck protection however)

You only need 1 tier set, and int/agiltiy is together on pretty much all gear but trinkets.
    Last edited by Teri; 2017-08-03 at 12:04 PM.

Depends, usually you will requested 2 spec for raid. Main Spec you choose and Off Spec. I advice you to run DPS/Tank or DPS/Healer.
    A 3th spec is always nice since you can run mythics + will any of them depending on the group needs.
    Like some ppl said getting 52 it's not really hard now. Get it on all of them.
    GL with finding a nice guild and enjoy the game.

Definitely possible if you don't have alts. (Maybe even if you do). Biggest problem as per above is the legendaries. The Leggo Lotto is very fickle and frustrating >.<

Deleted
    Thanks for the answers, guys.

The 20 hrs is just a quick estimate, sometimes it is more, sometimes less, just wanted to clarify that I am not hardcore.

Great tips regarding how artifact power progresses. I must admit I was a bit afraid it was a HUGE grind playing with Wowhead artifact calculator and seeing the billions, bearing in mind that the Legion levelling AP items give 300 AP at best Thanks for the heads up regarding the legendaries.

Learning the specs to perform well is indeed a challenge, but one I enjoy. I guess that even though I really don't want to be 95%-5%-0% or so regarding time spent per spec, it would be handy to establish an ordering nonetheless.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Malaparte View Post
    I must admit I was a bit afraid it was a HUGE grind playing with Wowhead artifact calculator and seeing the billions, bearing in mind that the Legion levelling AP items give 300 AP at best
    Token values on wowhead is pre-AK multiplier. At 40, the biggest token (command center mission) gives 125 million. That's a bit more than the 3125 listed on wowhead

When you have Artifact Knowledge 40 (first character At110 has to get this up with around 12500 OR to AK 25, next AK is a quest, following 14 AK are done in, I think, 3 hours for 500 OR each) leveling up your weapon is an easy task. At 40 one simpel quest token can get the weapon to ~34 in an instant.
    Don't worry, simply playing will give enough Artifact Power to get Conc.
    But if you want big AP boosts, skip Suramar till AK40.

Heroics/Normals are so easy right not that you can do them almost naked regardless of the spec. If that's your goal then yes, its more than possible.

Deleted
    i got concordance in 11 specs while only really playing the two characters i have all 3 specs to concordance on, so that's really not a problem at all

Monk is my main, and I play all 3 specs casually with good success. I'm a normal raider(4-5 hours a week, only 8/9), but I have 13 legendaries split among the specs, I'm 5 points into Concordance on all 3 specs, and(most importantly for me) I have 2/3 of my mage tower challenges complete(close to getting mw). I'm an officer in a casual guild that doesn't focus on raiding, so being able to play what's needed from week to week has been a priority for me, and I really enjoy all 3 monk specs.

Guys, even though it's entirely possible to play all 3 specs, you don't have an unlimited AP WQs. If I were him, I'd play 2 specs only (preferably dps / tank or dps / heal), and the other one filling one of the void roles.
    I can see myself playing BrM + DPS, and take another class with a healing role (why not another monk, if you like it so much and want better chances at farming the right first legendaries ?).

Quote Originally Posted by Raiz View Post
    Guys, even though it's entirely possible to play all 3 specs, you don't have an unlimited AP WQs. If I were him, I'd play 2 specs only (preferably dps / tank or dps / heal), and the other one filling one of the void roles.
    I can see myself playing BrM + DPS, and take another class with a healing role (why not another monk, if you like it so much and want better chances at farming the right first legendaries ?).
    Why would you limit yourself with WQs only? You can get ap from literally everything. For example, finishing Suramar quest chain would give you days (or even weeks) worth of daily world quests. And I'm not even talking about dungeons and such.

Deleted
    I have very limited time now i have a family but biggest tip i can give is to download the wow companion app and when your unable to play you can still progress by focusing on AP quests and then the armies of the legionfall coins quests as they give ap + loot box.

this way ive pretty easily been able to get concordance on all 3 specs without to much fuss

if your finding you run out of resources to easily then try and have your champion equip nothing but items that increase order resource drops from WQ's. that way some of your 20 hours per week can be used to build a cache of 20kish resources that can be used to get your 3 loot coins a week, plus you arent touching your gold which can then be put forward to buying pots/flasks/enchants etc, (i still find getting gold really hard)

Quote Originally Posted by ReD-EyeD View Post
    Why would you limit yourself with WQs only? You can get ap from literally everything. For example, finishing Suramar quest chain would give you days (or even weeks) worth of daily world quests. And I'm not even talking about dungeons and such.
    I agree with you, suramar can give quite a lot of APs. He would need the AK40 first though. Anyway, 20 hours per week is plenty enough to finish the world quests + normal mythics for farming all AP. After that, I don't know where he could farm those APs.