Ffxiv with a gamepad??

Since this an mmo and you have a multiple able to use...how exactly is it possible to play an mmo with a gamepad? I see you can play on PC or PS..never played the game.

Note: Not my image, just snagged it from a Google search

I believe the four buttons on the left are triggered by the directional arrow pad and the four on the right are triggered by the 4 standard buttons. Trigger buttons swaps out which set on left/right is up and activated on button press.

Friend of mine plays on laptop with an XBox 360 style controller. It's pretty well designed for controller use (the producer/director plays with controller, if I recall).

You can also turn off "Direct Chat" and use a keyboard in addition to the controller. Said friend uses the keyboard for less needed abilities like mounts, emotes, and teleports. If Direct Chat is on, pushing a button on the keyboard defaults into the chat window.
    Last edited by Faroth; 2017-08-04 at 05:44 PM.

^This plus left stick to move, right stick for camera and start/options for menu.

Believe it or not SE has some experience in making final fantasy games on consoles

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    ^This plus left stick to move, right stick for camera and start/options for menu.

Believe it or not SE has some experience in making final fantasy games on consoles
    For that matter, they have experience making an MMO on console. FFXI was developed for Playstation 2. The PC version was designed second!

10+ Year Old Account
    It actually feels very weird for me to play FFXIV with mouse keyboard since I'm so used to using the DS4 controller.

10+ Year Old Account
    To expand on earlier.

You have 8 hotbsrs you can cycle between and can setup a special hotbar above the normal ones (even enable one for when holding l2 then r2 or r2 and l2 to get each side)

These extra ones are linked to one of the 8 hotbars . Personally I use bar 3 for them.

You can also customize it where you only swap between two bars automatically (i use one and two) meaning a simple button press will quickly swap me between them. Perfect for combos and all that.

Frankly I can fit more skills then wow even has on those 3 bars and use them easily.

Rest I use for stuff like my classes (since I can save gearsets one button bam new class) and other various random things like mounts or emotes I especially like.

If still playing wow look up the console port mod it uses ffxiv as a base (also blizzard should Def hire him to add native controller support mod is AMAZING) to see how it works..or free trial the game lol.

Honestly I cannot play any other way at this point

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    It actually feels very weird for me to play FFXIV with mouse keyboard since I'm so used to using the DS4 controller.
    Same, the idea of using a keyboard and a mouse for the camera feels wierd. Which is something i wouldnt have expected like 6 or 7 years ago.

I could never find comfort using a control for ff14. I just didn't dig the way it did the targeting. My wife loves it, and so does a friend of ours.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danund81
    Just SAY IT.* "I'm right you're wrong and I know it because I have the power of a website's link."

i found it odd till i got used to the D pad tab targeting. up and down for enemies, left and right for party members. Didn't click till i did my first healing dungeons.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just recently jump back into the game and each has strengths for me. I started on PC back when ARR came out and having played WoW for years at the point it felt good. Fell out of it and got back in a year or so ago but this time on PS4 and was shocked at how easy it is to play on a controller. So much so that I actually feel somewhat gimped on PC now because I am not used to it right now and once you get your button presses down one way it is hard to relearn them another.

The only issue I have with the controller is general targeting. 9 times out of 10 it works flawlessly but that one time it doesn't it can be a disaster lol. That is where mouse targeting can shine for me. Other than that for me the controller is the superior control scheme. Sucks to have less buttons you can pres at any given time but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. You can also work around this by setting up different actions bars and swapping between them pretty easily depending on how good you are knowing where everything is.