Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Why are some korean letters being censored?

Some korean letters are being replaced by * when you use them on this forum. Why?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    Some korean letters are being replaced by * when you use them on this forum. Why?
    Sounds like it isn't supported.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Sounds like it isn't supported.
    Well, some can be used just fine. So it clearly is supported...

Like this article http://news.naver.com/main/read.nhn?...aid=0000160102

*금 필*핀 *닐*에서* *세**역 *보포럼, ARF가 열** 있습니*. *늘(6일) 하루에만 한미, 한*, 북* *교*관 회담* 열렸*데요. *닐* 현*를 *결하겠습니*.

*의근 *자, *금 * 한* *교*관 회담* 열렸죠. 막 끝났** *식* 들려왔*데, *국의 왕* *교*** ** 문제에 대한 *한 불만을 제*했**요?

Seems more like there's some kind of filter in place to censor some of it. Noticed it when I was trying to type my name out and part of it just appeared as *.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2017-08-06 at 05:27 PM.

Forum language is english anyway, posting in korean is against the rules.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/faq.php?faq=forumrules

Only post in English. As English is not everyone's native language, we ask you to not correct other people's posts unless you are asked to. Do not quote dictionary entries for the sake of arguing. Don't be the grammar police.

Quote Originally Posted by XDurionX View Post
    Forum language is english anyway, posting in korean is against the rules.
    So? Doesn't make any sense to apply a filter to some parts of it.

Arabic has the same problem with parts of it coming out as * instead of what was there.

So? Doesn't make any sense to apply a filter to some parts of it.

Arabic has the same problem with parts of it coming out as * instead of what was there.
    It clearly isn't supported, since the language is english, there is no "censorship".

It clearly isn't supported, since the language is english, there is no "censorship".

Have you even considered the fact that there's a PM function on the forum? I doubt germans are sitting and typing in english to each other in PMs.

10+ Year Old Account
    I find it really strange too. Mostly I've just posted some Korean food and tried to give it a korean label.

*추* = Go Chu Jang = Spicy Red Pepper Sauce. You have to type the individual letters, it's dumb.

ㄱㅗ추ㅈㅏㅇ

Have you even considered the fact that there's a PM function on the forum? I doubt germans are sitting and typing in english to each other in PMs.
    As i said, it. is. not. supported. since. it. is. not. allowed. on. the . forums. anyway. I don't go to a korean website and expect german support, no. Especially not if it's against their ToS.

As i said, it. is. not. supported. since. it. is. not. allowed. on. the . forums. anyway. I don't go to a korean website and expect german support, no. Especially not if it's against their ToS.
    It clearly is supported since the letters work independently when not in a block. They're filtering it for no apparent reason.

It clearly is supported since the letters work independently when not in a block. They're filtering it for no apparent reason.
    Simple enough,independant letter are easy to support as they are just symbols when it comes to coding,but blocks are more complex and since this board is supposed to be english only,they didn't go through the process of making it support them,as it was deemed useless

10+ Year Old Account

but german language is not made up entirely by different letters, while korean is
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

Quote Originally Posted by ONCHEhap View Post
    Simple enough,independant letter are easy to support as they are just symbols when it comes to coding,but blocks are more complex and since this board is supposed to be english only,they didn't go through the process of making it support them,as it was deemed useless
    That doesn't explain why most of them work but some don't. Seems more like they're being filtered rather than the software not being able to handle it, especially since they turn into *.

10+ Year Old Account
    Happens with many CJK characters, not just Korean.
    Speciation Is Gradual

Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    It's clearly not fully supported since all of the characters aren't working. It's quite telling that your initial reaction to something (quite obvious) is CENSORSHIP!! silly.
    Hint: Forums usually replace filtered terms, characters or what have you with a *. When a page does not support the characters it's not going to be a *. It's a filtering system that's replacing them.

Last edited by Freighter; 2017-08-06 at 06:01 PM.

Hint: Forums usually replace filtered terms, characters or what have you with a *. When a page does not support the characters it's not going to be a *. It's a filtering system that's replacing them.
    they can also change unsupported/unrecognized characters into whatever they want to avoid bugs or exploits.

Looks like just a limited selection of characters are available on whatever software the site uses to print korean. Maybe the font is slightly different so it doesn't recognise them? Either way it's such a random selection that it's unlikely to be censorship. If you wanted to censor it you'd disable the characters entirely, or just ban posters who used korean.

Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    Looks like just a limited selection of characters are available on whatever software the site uses to print korean. Maybe the font is slightly different so it doesn't recognise them? Either way it's such a random selection that it's unlikely to be censorship. If you wanted to censor it you'd disable the characters entirely, or just ban posters who used korean.
    Or their anti-spam system is being anal and included the characters in them because they were used by spambots.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zhero View Post
    they can also change unsupported/unrecognized characters into whatever they want to avoid bugs or exploits.
    I just tried typing out unsupported/unrecognized characters, they just promptly disappear from the post, they don't get replaced.

seriously, why would they filter just a few letters? Sounds like just a waste of resources. * is here what squares are on a lot of other text processors, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by zlygork View Post
    seriously, why would they filter just a few letters? Sounds like just a waste of resources. * is here what squares are on a lot of other text processors, that's all.
    Unsupported characters I've tried just promptly disappear, this suggests it's being filtered rather than that it is unsupported. You can even see the korean characters in the text box but when you post, they turn into *.

See how they don't appear in my post? They were removed when posting, not replaced with *.

Look here:

*금 필*핀 *닐*에서* *세**역 *보포럼, ARF가 열** 있습니*. *늘(6일) 하루에만 한미, 한*, 북* *교*관 회담* 열렸*데요. *닐* 현*를 *결하겠습니*.

What it looked like before saving changes:

They are clearly being filtered. If they were unsupported then they wouldn't have been shown in the text box, they would have turned out the way the actual unsupported characters did.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2017-08-06 at 06:19 PM.