Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    It clearly is supported since the letters work independently when not in a block. They're filtering it for no apparent reason.
    B E C A U S E
    I T
    I S
    N O T
    S U P P O R T E D

It's being incorrectly filtered as a result.

Are you deliberately obtuse or what?
    Last edited by Noomz; 2017-08-06 at 07:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Noomz View Post
    B E C A U S E
    I T
    I S
    N O T
    S U P P O R T E D

It's being incorrectly filtered as a result.

If it was not supported then why would it show up in the text box and then replaced with * when posted when unsupported characters do not and instead becomes a block in the text box that is removed when posted?

Unsupported characters:

The text is here:

So, not unsupported.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    If it was not supported then why would it show up in the text box and then replaced with * when posted when unsupported characters do not and instead becomes a block in the text box that is removed when posted?

Unsupported characters:

The text is here:

So, not unsupported.

They don't work properly because they're not properly supported. THey are not being censored because they're foul words, but because they're not properly supported.
    It might be interpreting it as something else, perhaps as spam or as phishing links. In other words: It's not supported.
    If a freshly registered person tries to post links for example, they will get censored, to my knowledge. But if you write them like www somelink dot com, you can obviously see that. But not if you do it www.somelink.com

Your language is not supported and is being misunderstood by the system. Do you understand?

That said, you have no reason to write in Korean here anyway so it's quite irrelevant.
    Last edited by Noomz; 2017-08-06 at 07:26 PM.

They don't work properly because they're not properly supported. THey are not being censored because they're foul words, but because they're not properly supported.
    It might be interpreting it as something else, perhaps as spam or as phishing links. In other words: It's not supported.

Do you understand?
    Do you understand what not supported means? They are clearly supported because they are showing up in the text box before you post. The unsupported characters do not. They're filtering them, they're not unsupported. Filtering is not the same as unsupported.

10+ Year Old Account
    The text box and the actual post are two separate things. They may be supported in the text box, as it uses a different software/code than the actual forum post itself. The translation process breaks some of the characters.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    The text box and the actual post are two separate things. They may be supported in the text box, as it uses a different software/code than the actual forum post itself. The translation process breaks some of the characters.
    If it was unsupported why is it being replaced by a * and not being removed like the unsupported characters I tried to post? Looks more like filtering rather than them being unsupported given how the unsupported characters were completely removed from my post when I hit post.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Do you understand what not supported means? They are clearly supported because they are showing up in the text box before you post. The unsupported characters do not. They're filtering them, they're not unsupported. Filtering is not the same as unsupported.
    Your text doesn't function properly, correct?
    If something doesn't function properly, it's not properly supported, correct?
    Also known as: Not supported.

This leads to the system not interpreting your text properly and possibly seeing it as spam.

Why is this a problem though?

Your text doesn't function properly, correct?
    If something doesn't function properly, it's not properly supported, correct?
    Also known as: Not supported.

This leads to the system not interpreting your text properly and possibly seeing it as spam.

Why is this a problem though?
    Because I might want to communicate with someone in korean? Do you type in english to people who are swedish if you PM them?

10+ Year Old Account
    If it was unsupported why is it being replaced by a * and not being removed like the unsupported characters I tried to post?
    Likely an issue with how it translates Malgun Gothic to Verdana. It's just a quirk of code and how it was written.

How are you adding these unsupported characters? I tested it by just copy/pasting from google translate and getting the same result. What is the situation that they're just disappearing?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Does the definition really matter? Not supported, filtered out or whatever, foreign languages and writing systems are not something they care about, and thus chances are they will not fix anyway, regardless of what terminology is used.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    How are you adding these unsupported characters? I tested it by just copy/pasting from google translate and getting the same result. What is the situation that they're just disappearing?
    I copypasted:

edit:

Okay, so it also removes all text you write after the unsupported character so I just lost my whole post.
    Last edited by Freighter; 2017-08-06 at 07:41 PM.

Some of the characters used in some Asian languages to post spam are filtered out.

10+ Year Old Account
    How are you copy/pasting it? From where?

I imagine you're running into two issues. One where the text box itself doesn't support it (and deletes it), and one where for the stuff it does, but the forum doesn't, it gets stars.

Quote Originally Posted by chaud View Post
    Some of the characters used in some Asian languages to post spam are filtered out.
    Does it have to be filtered to stop spam?

May I suggest PMing your korean friends and trading skype accounts or something? (assuming here you don't want them to have your real info and thus no fb, twitter, etc)

10+ Year Old Account
    It's not worth turning off that feature for the handful of people who want to post in those languages.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Because I might want to communicate with someone in korean? Do you type in english to people who are swedish if you PM them?
    I tend to, yes. I'm quite used to using English so I usually keep writing it to people who'd understand me in Swedish. I barely PM anyone else than moderators anyway.

It significantly helps. We have next to no traffic from Korea and the forum rules require that you post in English. There are just a few edge cases where it would be desirable to post Korean characters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Chaud answered this already so locking.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |