Need help defeating Xylem

Hey guys,

I'm 915 equipped, I've watched and read the guides, however, I always die after the 4th Razor Ice and I'm probably missing something but not quite sure what it is so I'd be glad to get any kind of help or/and advice.

Character: http://www.wowhead.com/list=52391663/lynxium

I'm using this gear just to have more survivability during the first phase, I don't know whether it's actually needed, especially these trinkets... might be better to use my DPS trinkets but I dunno, I tried and still died so doesn't seems like this is the problem.

Here is the video:

Sometimes you win, sometimes you learn.

Had a quick look at the video. Not done Frost as stopped playing the spec but some general things to point out;

You let him cast Draw Power to 20 stacks. That increases his damage massively. Just interrupt it.

Rotate your cooldowns. When you died you had a Dark Succor proc and IBF available. If you're worried about surviving then save AMS or use Sindragosa's Fury to break the Ice Tomb.

Did you ever use Sindragosa's Fury/Breath? You can use BoS early to break the first and do some good upfront damage. You can use SF to break a Ice Tomb.

Trinkets look a bit poor? What other options do you have? Final part is a massive DPS check and you will need good damage then.

During Shadow Barrage you can probably be a little more aggressive. Frost Strike's increase range and hopping in and out for Obliterate's would give you more uptime.

RIP The Mythic Dream

I don't use BoS during this phase because he always port and stuff so I thought I shouldn't use it, yeah the trinkets are there because I couldn't survive the other trinkets I have are Engine of Eradication, Memento of Angerboda, Eye of Command, Cradle of Anguish and Convergence of Fates.

Okay, these stacks... I completely ignored them! *facepalm*

Thank you for the reply!
    Last edited by Lynxium; 2017-08-07 at 06:11 PM.

Yeah, as Dristereau mentioned, Draw Power needs to be interrupted. I know it's easy to want to just attack him through it because it's basically free damage for you so long as he's channeling, but as soon as he done, you're gonna pay for it. Even one of his Frostbolts will hit like a truck, let alone Arcane Barrage. Also, you really shouldn't shy away from using Breath or Sindy, especially to get out of the Razorice, they both help a lot, and if you pop them early enough, you're all but guaranteed to have them back by the time he hits 50-40% hp.

Do you happen to have other legendaries? Prydaz and Drapes are both good for this challenge, but you don't really need both of them. The extra survivability is nice, but it comes at the expense of dps, which will only cause the phase to last longer, and you honestly want be done with phase one as fast as you can bc the longer you're in it, the more likely it is that that you'll get fucked over by the rng of the challenge (and this challenge is probably the one with the most rng of the dps ones). Sephuz is really, really good for this challenge because not only do you get the miny-lust constantly from having to interrupt Xylem so frequently, but you can also benefit A LOT from the speed increase. Aside from that any other dps legendaries should be good, too. Cold Heart, being both a nuke and a stun on a short cd might work pretty well for this in particular, though pretty much any other dps increasing legendary should do.

Just to report back, indeed, I managed to get him to 22% so these stacks were my problem, many attempts wasted but at least I know what's the problem now so thank you for enlighten me.

I used Memento of Angerboda, Engine of Eradication trinkets for DPS.

Hopefully I'll get him soon!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Drakonskyr View Post
    Do you happen to have other legendaries?
    Still missing few legendaries, for the ring slot the only ring I have atm is Seal of Necrofantasia.

I can probably use that, I don't know, I'll have to try.

p.s. What do you guys think about the talents choice and I wonder whether taking Frostscythe is a good option for last phase?
    Last edited by Lynxium; 2017-08-07 at 10:11 PM.

Blademaster
    Adding on to the above advice, if you have defensive legendaries like the AMS cloak or Prydaz, I highly recommend you use them in the Xylem phase. Surviving Xylem is more important than pushing the DPS. Spend your runic power on Death Strikes. Grip Xylem near the ice rings and use Rime procs on the ice shards to proc free Dark Succors for massive healing. If you have the AMS cloak, you can AMS his frostbolts for substantial healing too.

Once you get him into his final phase there is a decent buffer period for you to eat up and gear swap - this is when you will want to eat good food, ready your 2nd pot and drums, and swap to your full DPS set e.g. Seal of Necrofantasia. I see you have CoF? You should use that, it has good synergy with BoS and Seal of Necrofantasia.

One more tip, I was stuck for a few hours on this challenge until I discovered Bear Tartare for the Xylem phase. It trivializes certain parts of the fight like the clone phase and overall reduces your time away from the Xylem. Bought a full stack of 20 and ended up downing him on the 2nd attempt.

Patience and practice and you'll get it! Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Quim View Post
    Patience and practice and you'll get it! Good luck!
    Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Just to let you know got to the final stage, got the boss down to 44%... only to find out that I haven't equipped my DPS gear during the transition to the final stage.
    Last edited by Lynxium; 2017-08-08 at 03:54 PM.

If your a blood elf you can skip the stages by using arcane torrent just before he transitions to the arcane phase part. You will completely avoid it. https://youtu.be/fwqrZhHRAz4?t=7904 2:11:44 If you watch there DBM calls arcane phase and I use arcane torrent which just skips that phase completely, Im not sure this bug is still there but it was when I did it. You can also do this for the second one that happens too.