Why drain soul spam?

I raid with another affliction warlock. We both parse very well, usually in the 80s for most fights, although we both follow our own strat and talents per fight. I was browsing his logs and noticed that instead of letting Drain Soul run it's full cast after stacking UA, he is recasting it three times in a row, probably after each initial tick. I've always understood that that there is no benefit to this.

Is there a reason to recast Drain Soul over and over instead of letting it finish the cast? Does this give better chance of procs or dps, or is this just a bad habit?
    Last edited by Aksundog; 2017-08-07 at 07:11 PM.

Deleted
    It makes no difference really, as now DS cost mana per tick not per channel. Most procs dynamically adjust the damage of your DS when they proc themselves, the only one that doesn't is whispers since it affects the channel speed not the damage, so if anything it can be a benefit if you miss the whispers proc happening for a few secs but the gain will be tiny tbh.

If anything some ppl do it because they find the channel boring, and prefer to spam a button during your filler, which harkens back to the days of casting shadowbolt.

Me personally i like to let the channel run and refresh it before the last tick as during that time i'm generally checking boss timers or my dot durations to see what i wanna do next with regards to mechanics etc.

Sounds like he just spams the button.

There's no reason to do this afaik.
    ..and so he left, with terrible power in shaking hands.

Just spamming. Habit or personal preference. It really makes no difference.

or maybe hes just having to move. I know my recast rate of DS went up when i swapped out the leggo boots.

Deleted
    3 times makes no sense. 2 times possibly because of whispers (as you get the pandemic effect on it as well): Whispers proccs, and around 1 second before the haste part ends, you do one DS, and then another directly after the 1 tick. This way, your DS is hasted for the maximum length possible (pandemic extends it by 20%). Dot ticks are slowed (negative whispers effect), but DS ticks arent.

I recast Drain Soul frequently when attempting to snipe shard regen and my target isn't dying fast enough and I don't have higher priority actions. I don't want DS channel to end and then the thing dies before I can get another channel up.

I don't spam the button but I will recast early if I have nothing better to do.

does DS snapshot your haste rather than updating dynamically? I've wondered about that but never got round to testing it

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheze View Post
    does DS snapshot your haste rather than updating dynamically? I've wondered about that but never got round to testing it
    Yes it does snapshot like UA , but not like agony or corruption

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheze View Post
    Yep, this is why squeezing that last UA and DS into the last second of a whispers proc is something you want to do.

He is using Gnome Sequencer

Quote Originally Posted by Osanger View Post
    Yep, this is why squeezing that last UA and DS into the last second of a whispers proc is something you want to do.
    Or during the end of berserking and sephuz.