Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Is Disc priest fun for you at 110 with cordondance?

So far while leveling, disc is so fun! DPS to heal is amazing! How do you feel about it at 110?
    "You know you that bitch when you cause all this conversation."

Yes.

/10chars

Deleted
    I enjoy Disc alot in M+ dungeons. I like how there is always decicions to heal trough Atonement or just use Shadow Mend. And using CDs properly requires some planning is nice aswell.

Deleted
    Its pretty fun. Feels kinda like playing caster tank.

Once you get the hang of it, yeah, it's fun.

I love it. I could never get into healing in this game until I started playing this spec. I still have alot to learn but its really fun healing raids and Mythic+ as Disc.

I personally love it, and won't switch to another healer. However, you might find it a bit clunky and not as fluid as a fresh 110 because of low gear. And to be good in raids you would need to set up some addons (frames with mouse-clicking, boss modes, weakauras) and targeting macros for offensive spells

Deleted
    Its easily the funniest and best class to do easy content with since it has a cool flair, but as soon as you go into more challenging content it fights back, in a "good" way if you like a challenge though.

6/9m HOLY (main) priest.

Are disc priests really good at saving dps who aren't topped right away? Like are they good spot healers?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by foxshine1337 View Post
    Are disc priests really good at saving dps who aren't topped right away? Like are they good spot healers?
    They can do it but not efficiently, in a raid setting that is the holy pala/resto shamans job really.

The main reason for playing/bringing a disc priest is extreme raid healing and mitigation, the spec revolves around using lights wrath to heal massive raid damage to the whole raid with the right setup, think monks revival on a 1.5min cooldown. Then its best utilization of other cooldowns to bridge the gap for other mechanics while you wait on lights wrath coming off cooldown. During down time dependant on your healing setup will dictate what you are doing, but that will normally be using PW:Shield on cooldown, keeping your dot up and dpsing.

The skill cap revolves around planning ahead for when you know big raid damage is going to occur then pumping out as many atonements as possible dropping evangelism to extend those atonements so they are up for the Lights Wrath>Penance combo, which with up to date gear will top the every target you have atonement on 15+ for insane HPS. There are other cooldowns less powerful than the above but there to also facilitate similar combos i.e radiance x 2 into shadowfiend>penance or rapture etc.

Having this type of healer to handle big mechanics or raid wide damage frees up the other healers to use mana for other stuff like spot healing etc without risking going OOM to heal during the big damage disc will cover. One annoying thing as disc is persuading the other healers to let you do your job!!! Especially when you have content on farm and you are out gearing things so in that case just do your normal shit and relish in doing more dps while the others fight for the HPS as they can't even hope to match you on that front. During progression tho they are fucking amazing when played well!!!

One thing of note, is if you have a resto druid or holy priest in your healing group, don't even bother trying to compete in the whack a mole race of putting plea on targets so your dot heals them, not only is it weaker you will just flat lose to rejuv/renew spam and end up doing over healing, in those situations of mild damage just stick to PW:S on cooldown (normally on the tank) and just spam smite into the boss as you will do much more healing via the smite absorb on the tank (something people get caught up on, especially ppl used to playing Holy and thinking Plea is their Renew, which it is but only with no resto/holy in the raid is it worth using).

All in all i think the spec is amazing, blizz have done a great job in terms of bringing something different to the table. The only healing spec that i haven't been bored by was monk fist weaving, this new style of play is not only satisfying when done right but makes the spec very engaging to play and different on every encounter. You just have to hammer it home to your raid leader/healing team what you are there to do so let you play to your strengths which is hands down the best raid healing/mitigation in the game when done right.

Deleted
    How are discs in raids compared to other healers?

Deleted
    Everything is fun when you are new to it...
    Give it a month.. and you will start whining like all other disc priest.
    IMHO worst healer in raid, not needed. You can perfectly remove from the game.. noone will ever notice.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenas View Post
    IMHO worst healer in raid, not needed. You can perfectly remove from the game.. noone will ever notice.
    Am afraid that's close to truth.
    Am really enjoying my alt currently trying to snipe everyone heals by atoning everyone and start my dps rotation/velen's/sadowfiend w/e i have available when the dbm timer goes off + the potential of a raidwide healing cd almost for every ability (for example when kj adds spawn atone as many as u can in raid, evangelism,mindbender,velen and allow literally every healer to take a couple of sips of coffee till the adds die) but tbh during progression and when the fuckups happen the treshold to wipe is much lower since it is really difficult for me to help recover from mistakes without messing my rotation and INNER MUSIC massively (same thing kj fight when he is on air i feel like i can contribute with barrier rupture and if we got an armageddon fail then it is messy even on normal).
    From my small/casual experience u basically increase the overheal of other healers cds while not contributing much when damage is lower ...
    Hopefully for the specc it is just me not being a dedicated disc though :P
    And the playstyle/build between raids/ 5 man content / pvp is so massively different than any other healing specc...
    And although I dont think it is the worst healer in raid I would have to agree about the last part of the sentence.
    Last edited by mmoc0e2bb9485a; 2017-08-25 at 10:38 AM.

no spec is needed, you can remove any healer and still do content, bar maybe paladin for his special niche. Heck at this point in time probably not even him.

As for worst healer, all specs and roles can be worst if the player has not even a basic understanding. Good thing the internet is full of resources and recorded log where you can see both how good Disc is atm, and how to improve personal abilities.

Deleted
    Depends entirely on your raid healing setup, yes if you are bringing a holy priest and resto druid then disc is not needed since the disc will never be allowed to play to its full strengths.

Played properly in the right setup Disc has the highest potential raid healing in the whole game, it literally blows every single other raid healing spec out of the water and cannot be matched in terms of its raw throughput when using its cooldowns correctly.

Its main issue is building your team healing strat around it, which most RL are unwilling to do, due to lack of knowledge of what the spec can offer but used correctly it is a virtual mana battery for other healers in your group as they dont need to lift a finger or big raid wide mechanics and can concentrate using their mana else where.

7.2 destroyed Disc. It went from a unique spec to a "resto druid which damages". You might call this "sanding down the rough edges", but in the process it lost most of it's personality. This lobotomized version of Disc isn't nearly as much fun to play.

I completely agree, that this homogenizing of the spec rendered it irrelevant - now we can evaluate it strictly "by the numbers" instead of noting the unique aspect that it brings to the raid. The sign of a bad spec is the ability to answer "how good is it?" strictly by "how much HPS/DPS does it do?"

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Yunzi View Post
    7.2 destroyed Disc. It went from a unique spec to a "resto druid which damages". You might call this "sanding down the rough edges", but in the process it lost most of it's personality. This lobotomized version of Disc isn't nearly as much fun to play.

I completely agree, that this homogenizing of the spec rendered it irrelevant - now we can evaluate it strictly "by the numbers" instead of noting the unique aspect that it brings to the raid. The sign of a bad spec is the ability to answer "how good is it?" strictly by "how much HPS/DPS does it do?"
    It's exactly the same except for the fact that they brought the set up time and difficulty much closer to the old Spirit Shell days. Before you were healing or DPSing, now you can do both much more seamlessly. It was a necessary step for the overall health of the spec in moving forward with the new spec fantasy. Also holy hyperbole.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, it did the exact opposite of what you're claiming for higher M+ keys. We're more viable than Holy now, thanks to the changes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stroggylos View Post
    Am afraid that's close to truth.
    Am really enjoying my alt currently trying to snipe everyone heals by atoning everyone and start my dps rotation/velen's/sadowfiend w/e i have available when the dbm timer goes off + the potential of a raidwide healing cd almost for every ability (for example when kj adds spawn atone as many as u can in raid, evangelism,mindbender,velen and allow literally every healer to take a couple of sips of coffee till the adds die) but tbh during progression and when the fuckups happen the treshold to wipe is much lower since it is really difficult for me to help recover from mistakes without messing my rotation and INNER MUSIC massively (same thing kj fight when he is on air i feel like i can contribute with barrier rupture and if we got an armageddon fail then it is messy even on normal).
    From my small/casual experience u basically increase the overheal of other healers cds while not contributing much when damage is lower ...
    Hopefully for the specc it is just me not being a dedicated disc though :P
    And the playstyle/build between raids/ 5 man content / pvp is so massively different than any other healing specc...
    And although I dont think it is the worst healer in raid I would have to agree about the last part of the sentence.
    So let me get this right, your saying disc is bad because it can generally solo handle large raid wide damage events more often and usually better then other healers and their cooldowns? Assuming this is correct then yes it is true disc is quite op for burst mechanics I once logged an instant +50mil burst heal comprising of 1.8 mil per person heal from a lights wrath crit alone, but I fail to see how this makes the class is bad.

You mentioned sniping heals and making other healers overheal during their cooldowns which are things that would be easy to do as disc the issue there is you are competing against and not working with your healing team and if they are operating with the same mentality then it must suck to be your raid leader or anyone in that raid to be honest. In my guild we healers call what we can and cannot handle and we try to not overlap and waste cooldowns, the main goal of the healing team is to keep the raid alive and the goal for each individual healer is to trust in the ability of those around them, competing simply to out heal each other as healers is shameful and I find it leads to toxic raids.

I really enjoy the current style of disc, I've mained disc from vanilla through every expansion bar panda and the second half of wod which is a shame because I heard it was op back then too but with absorbs. Disc originally was a spirit buffing version of holy with roughly the same spells, as the expansions when by it gained the identity of being a pro-active prediction based healer ( which is my bread and butter ) with a growing focus on absorbs which as things went on though it made the spec start to feel more reactive with the focus being on healing up your absorbs like a meta game of sorts, it was unique no doubt about that but it lost it's pro-active prediction based identity in favor of reactively re-stacking absorbs.

Legion Disc reverted it back to heavy pro-active prediction based healing and removed the meta of absorb stacking all the while keeping disc as a unique style which is quite a feat to be honest, just imagine disc without the current dps healing component and without abosrbs, we would be just another run of the mill re-active healer with likely slightly changed holy spells and animations. They needed to do something with Disc after removing the absorb stacking meta and I'm personally happy with how it turned out.

Side note, Disc isn't actually a hard spec to play and it doesn't have a high learning curve its simply the nature of pro-active prediction based healing that was lost over the last few expansions and the difficulty stems from re-training your mind out of re-active healing / absorb stacking.
    Last edited by mmocb7bc0f26da; 2017-08-26 at 01:12 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CoolNitro View Post
    So let me get this right, your saying disc is bad because it can generally solo handle large raid wide damage events more often and usually better then other healers and their cooldowns? Assuming this is correct then yes it is true disc is quite op for burst mechanics I once logged an instant +50mil burst heal comprising of 1.8 mil per person heal from a lights wrath crit alone, but I fail to see how this makes the class is bad.

You mentioned sniping heals and making other healers overheal during their cooldowns which are things that would be easy to do as disc the issue there is you are competing against and not working with your healing team and if they are operating with the same mentality then it must suck to be your raid leader or anyone in that raid to be honest. In my guild we healers call what we can and cannot handle and we try to not overlap and waste cooldowns, the main goal of the healing team is to keep the raid alive and the goal for each individual healer is to trust in the ability of those around them, competing simply to out heal each other as healers is shameful and I find it leads to toxic raids.

I really enjoy the current style of disc, I've mained disc from vanilla through every expansion bar panda and the second half of wod which is a shame because I heard it was op back then too but with absorbs. Disc originally was a spirit buffing version of holy with roughly the same spells, as the expansions when by it gained the identity of being a pro-active prediction based healer ( which is my bread and butter ) with a growing focus on absorbs which as things went on though it made the spec start to feel more reactive with the focus being on healing up your absorbs like a meta game of sorts, it was unique no doubt about that but it lost it's pro-active prediction based identity in favor of reactively re-stacking absorbs.

Legion Disc reverted it back to heavy pro-active prediction based healing and removed the meta of absorb stacking all the while keeping disc as a unique style which is quite a feat to be honest, just imagine disc without the current dps healing component and without abosrbs, we would be just another run of the mill re-active healer with likely slightly changed holy spells and animations. They needed to do something with Disc after removing the absorb stacking meta and I'm personally happy with how it turned out.

Side note, Disc isn't actually a hard spec to play and it doesn't have a high learning curve its simply the nature of pro-active prediction based healing that was lost over the last few expansions and the difficulty stems from re-training your mind out of re-active healing / absorb stacking.
    No need to be that harsh mon i never said the specc is bad and part of the casual-bring your alts-let's storm the tomb raid nights of my guild are revolving around snipin the heals of everyone.
    As mentioned in me post partially due to my lack of experience and the casual way i play the specc i find it difficult to contribute in recovering from mistakes happening during an encounter specially without messing with my inner music (ie the lack of prediction in a mistake messes up my cd coordination). But hopefully for the spec it is only me.
    And yes it is much more fun than everything it was before at least for me (tbh i played holy during wod cause it was much more fun).
    I find it difficult to imagine it can contribute more to other healing combos (thus it took a whole rework to make it appealing to raiding environment).
    Having said that I will humbly take my leave and go play with my crippled ret paladin :P

10+ Year Old Account
    these threads are a good example about why normies shouldn't play disc priest