Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Can't we all just get along? And have enormous nuclear arsenals.

The more nukes the less war. History bears it out. Give me some of that sweet mutually assured annihilation.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitros14 View Post

The more nukes the less war. History bears it out. Give me some of that sweet mutually assured annihilation.
    That's Kim Jong-un's way of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    Shows what warmongers those blue countries are. Any country with more than 50% should be sanctioned into the ground for an entire century.
    "Defend their country"...

How's that warmongering... ?

Edit -- Actually, nm... the survey doesn't even make it clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnusthegreat View Post
    Interesting to me that the countries with the highest 'willing to fight' are among the least civilized and with low qualities of life.
    i guess, if you consider europe civilized and high quality of life. i personally cant consider any place where i cant do a fat hitler salute anywhere i damn please. hard to call that a civilized country and they are in control of the whole european union. just wait till their craziness reaches other areas. much like i told you guys 2-3 years ago about the refugee problem you were about to have.
    Last edited by oxymoronic; 2017-08-09 at 02:49 AM.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by igualitarist View Post
    But i'd fight to protect my family.
    your brothers in arms become your family

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nitros14 View Post
    not how geopolitics work.

Countries intentions are irrelevant.
    What matters are their capabilities.
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Europe is the first society where enlightenment values sticked, creating previously unseen levels of human flourishing. It takes a lot brainwashing to not be willing to fight for that.
    uhh what? went from the dark times to raping and pillaging africa to killing off natives in both south and north america. then couple hundred years later started world wars... at what point did those values stick? 1950 - now? lol

while i like white people and dont hold grudges lets be fucking real.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    i guess, if you consider europe civilized and high quality of life. i personally cant consider any place where i cant do a fat hitler salute anywhere i damn please. hard to call that a civilized country and they are in control of the whole european union. just wait till their craziness reaches other areas. much like i told you guys 2-3 years ago about the refugee problem you were about to have.
    If you feel the need to do a "'fat hitler salute" anywhere you want, I seriously question your "civilizedness".

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    I won't fight for my country, but I would fight for the European Union.
    This. Well, not me personally, of course.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Europe is the first society where enlightenment values sticked, creating previously unseen levels of human flourishing. It takes a lot brainwashing to not be willing to fight for that.
    It takes a lot of brainwashing to be willing to risk your own life, lol.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    uhh what? went from the dark times to raping and pillaging africa to killing off natives in both south and north america. then couple hundred years later started world wars... at what point did those values stick? 1950 - now? lol
    There's no specific date, enlightenment values don't just hit you one day and that means your perfect and peaceful. Before a few hundred years ago no other society had a population with a lasting culture of criticism, where authority over truth(ie kings, government, god, the church, etc) were challenged in an institutional manner.

I think it would have been better if the questioned were phrased as fighting a war for Europe rather than for individual countries. There still might be a lot masochism, but at least it wouldn't be as directly associated with WW2 nationalism.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    Dat German guilt\shame though.
    The Dutch seem to be even more ashamed, which kind of ruins that line of reasoning.
    I'm not willing to fight for my country because I'm not getting hurt physically or mentally in a stupid war some asshole politicians started. You can call me a coward and you may be right, but if I'm a coward and alive while all the brave people die that makes me the smart one.

10+ Year Old Account
    You won't have to worry about whether you'll do it or not, since if the need is considered dire by the ruling party you will be conscripted.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Baelic View Post
    If my Country is being attacked, I will gladly fight.
    Yeah, I think a lot of people are the same way, me included.

The problem with the article is, we're not really getting the question / questions that were asked. If literally the only question asked was "Are you willing to fight for your country?" that lacks any sort of depth and pretty much render the entire article moot.

If you asked, the following, there's no doubt the percentages would be all over the board, and they all ask the oversimplified question of 'Would you fight for your country?"

- "If your country were attacked and your loved ones put as risk, would you fight for your country?"
    vs
    - "If your country were to get involved in an ally countries war, would you fight with your country along side them?"
    vs
    - "If your country felt it had something to game by going to war with another country, would you fight for your country?"

Quote Originally Posted by Baelic View Post
    If my Country is being attacked, I will gladly fight.
    If my country is attacked I gtfo. You must no value your live all that much.

Note how it is pretty much directly proportional to the likelihood of it ever happening.

P.S. I can't think of a country on earth I would fight for.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

The idea of fighting "for one's country" is mostly a myth. A boast that some use to appear valorous. The few who are actually brainwashed sufficiently to believe such nationalistic ideologies can be safely ignored.

People fight to protect themselves and those they love. They fight for a pay check. They fight cause they're good at it, and doing something you're good at feels good. They fight because joining the army seemed like a good idea at the time and now circumstances dictate that they must fight.
    Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. -Thomas Jefferson

So smart people don't care if someone invades them and fucks them over? Doesn't sound smart to me.
    Me thinks Chromie has a whole lot of splaining to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth1400 View Post
    Yeah, I think a lot of people are the same way, me included.

The problem with the article is, we're not really getting the question / questions that were asked. If literally the only question asked was "Are you willing to fight for your country?" that lacks any sort of depth and pretty much render the entire article moot.

If you asked, the following, there's no doubt the percentages would be all over the board, and they all ask the oversimplified question of 'Would you fight for your country?"

- "If your country were attacked and your loved ones put as risk, would you fight for your country?"
    vs
    - "If your country were to get involved in an ally countries war, would you fight with your country along side them?"
    vs
    - "If your country felt it had something to game by going to war with another country, would you fight for your country?"

I see what you're saying but in a way a Finn interprets the question as "would you defend your country against a foreign agressor" where as a Spaniard might be thinking "would you join your country on a raid of poor 3rd world country's oil resources." So the way you interpret the question means something too.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
    So smart people don't care if someone invades them and fucks them over? Doesn't sound smart to me.
    Why would you care who you pay taxes to? You'll pay them either way.

That looks about right.

I'd fight to defend my country from a clear aggressor.

I wouldn't fight a war at the ass end of nowhere because some knuckleheads got into their skulls that killing brown people is cool then tried to sell it to me as the right thing because muh patriotism/nationalism.