Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    I think most of it is people not willing to try something new. People like to stick to what they know. Everyone thought that Valerian movie was going to be the next big space opera or w/e you want to call it. But no one went and saw it, however with that movie, to me at least it just didn't look good. Same with Ender's game, a popular book, but not intriguing enough, or simply the audience wasn't willing to go see it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    I saw it in theaters and I was HOWLING with laughter.
    Hummm a stranger is lost in the woods... I will use my bow to shoot him in the back and kill him in cold blood

5 min later

The stranger kill a monster in self defence.....I will scold him about how wrong it is to kill.....

Deleted
    I think Bioware learning from there own past mistakes with Andromeda is more important that making a Mass Effect movie.

Quote Originally Posted by a77 View Post
    Hummm a stranger is lost in the woods... I will use my bow to shoot him in the back and kill him in cold blood

5 min later

The stranger kill a monster in self defence.....I will scold him about how wrong it is to kill.....
    ...wat?

Edit: oh, yeah, that part was momentously stupid. God, Avatar was a dumb movie. Still pretty funny though if you don't take it seriously.
    Last edited by jimboa24; 2017-08-15 at 08:48 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by CmdrShep2154 View Post
    I enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy and The Force Awakens but I've heard Jupiter Ascending and Valerian were not very good. Why can't Hollywood make good space opera movies? Do all the big studios suck up the best talent?

And why can they make good comic book movies but make terrible video game movies? Do they focus only on CGI at the cost of acting and plot? Will the makers of the Mass Effect movie learn the lessons of all the failed video game movies?
    I don't see Guardians of the Galaxy as a space opera movie. It's a simple comic book movie. And The Farce Awakens was awful. So when have they ever done a good movie like that?

Valerian had the potential to be good but was ruined by awful acting and a bad, hammy script

Deleted
    "Space Operas" as a genre really don't lend themselves to the big screen outside of the big two (Starwars, Star Trek) franchises. To set up a good space opera you need several films in the series, with the characters and storylines intertwining and continuing. The S.O. genre is also pretty niche in the movie world due to it being compared to the big two. if you want good Space opera, then you are best sticking with TV series, or better still books.

There are several S.O. books that would make absolutely fantastic TV series or movies, however they are unlikely ever to make it to the big screen.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    Avatar was the best comedy of 2009, hands down. I saw it in theaters and I was HOWLING with laughter. No, that is not hyperbole. I got a lot of dirty looks from people who were taking it seriously but fuck them. I had a hell of a time, and I hadn't laughed that hard in a movie theater in a long time. Yes, I am being completely serious without a shred of sarcasm when I say that.

Was anyone else rooting for the crazy colonel? I LOVED Stephen Lang's character - he was awesome! The guy so badass, he has a 9-foot-long boot knife made just for his mech. The guy so badass he doesn't need to breathe when chasing down and shooting at his quarry. The guy so awesome and so badass he casually drinks his coffee while firebombing the native Smurfy-cats.

Also, I have no idea how they could make a sequel to Avatar. It took all the creatures and all the smurfy-cat tribes on that planet combined to repel what was essentially an under-funded and poorly equipped private security detail for a small mining outpost on the edge of space. If the humans ever come back in full force, the smurfycats are FUCKED.
    I ain't even mad you thought it was dumb, but i still liked it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I ain't even mad you thought it was dumb, but i still liked it a lot.
    I also thoroughly enjoyed Avatar; I'm still waiting for the sequel! More mechs please!

Come on The 5th Element literally has a space opera in it.