Why are movie trailers showing trailers for the same movie trailer?

Is this a new thing that's catching on? Good lord its annoying, showing me 4-5 seconds of the movie trailer im about to watch. I don't rant about very much but this has got to be one of the most annoying things I am encountering lately and no matter how hard I try I cant seem to think of a reason to do this.
    "If you don't know who I am -- then maybe your best course is to tread lightly." - W.W.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phatte View Post
    Is this a new thing that's catching on? Good lord its annoying, showing me 4-5 seconds of the movie trailer im about to watch. I don't rant about very much but this has got to be one of the most annoying things I am encountering lately and no matter how hard I try I cant seem to think of a reason to do this.
    Yeah I have noticed that a lot recently as well and find it just as annoying as you, though their reasoning for doing it is logical I guess.

I read its to compensate for people skipping ads. On many sites you have a wait a few seconds before being given an option to skip an ad... So that little mini-trailer is so on a site like YouTube, for example, where the full two minute trailer may be part of an ad before other videos, people who skip the ad will still be getting a "full" ad for the movie before they click skip.

Deleted
    Are u refering to teasers? That's not new

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ser Arthur Dayne View Post
    Are u refering to teasers? That's not new
    He's referring to things like the beginning of this trailer:

10+ Year Old Account
    ahh I know what you mean but I have no idea, its like a teaser pre-trailer within the trailer. I have noticed them, they haven't really annoyed me, but now that you have drawn my interest to it, it does seem slightly pretentious. :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

10+ Year Old Account
    People (read: Americans) have extremely short attention spans. If you don't get their attention NOW you're not going to get them to sit through the 2-min trailer.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    People (read: Americans) have extremely short attention spans. If you don't get their attention NOW you're not going to get them to sit through the 2-min trailer.
    That's dumb. They're just tacking the trailer teaser to the teaser trailer to keep them together.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalcheus View Post
    That's dumb. They're just tacking the trailer teaser to the teaser trailer to keep them together.
    Maybe, but it works.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Maybe, but it works.
    Except 90+% of the time you're watching the trailer because you want to (you clicked it on YouTube or Twitter). Why would they need to hold your attention for something you've chosen to view in the first place? They don't do it on the trailers that air on TV.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalcheus View Post
    Except 90+% of the time you're watching the trailer because you want to (you clicked it on YouTube or Twitter). Why would they need to hold your attention for something you've chosen to view in the first place? They don't do it on the trailers that air on TV.
    Exactly my thoughts. I've already clicked the thumbnail with the full intent to watch the trailer, I don't need to be shown a 4 second clump of whats about to be shown in the next two minutes anyway.
    "If you don't know who I am -- then maybe your best course is to tread lightly." - W.W.

Deleted
    but isnt that what people (read: muricans) do? get all clips they can find for a movie put into one and then post it on yt? I so hate this....

Deleted
    Its so if they run the ad as a pre-roll to a YouTube video it works as a short five second ad, as well as a proper ad for those who want to look it up. Keeps all the views in one place, giving the illusion of greater popularity for the advert, and means that if someone sees the five seconds and wants to watch the full one they dont have to search for the full one (i.e. if the short part was a seperate video). Would have thought this was obvious. Advertisers have caught on to the fact that before they did this all people watched of their trailers were the studio header cards like "Paramount" or "Columbia" before skipping it five seconds in.

Also helps for places like Facebook, when a user will be scrolling past quickly and you need to grab their attention to get them to stop scrolling and watch your stuff. Its all about grabbing the attention of the viewer in the first five seconds now.

I'm guessing as a Youtube ad? First 5 seconds are unskippable so they at least want their viewers to see the movie title. If the title interests the person, they won't hit the "Skip Ad" button.
    The wise wolf who's pride is her wisdom isn't so sharp as drunk.

I assume the idea is to grab your attention for when they're on youtube and skippable within 5 seconds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.