Overwatch PTR 8/10/17 Notes

HERO UPDATES

Junkrat

Concussion Mine
    Junkrat can now hold two mines

RIP-Tire
    Tire’s movement speed has been increased by 30%
    There is no longer a time limit when wall climbing

Developer Comments: Giving the Junkrat the ability to store two concussion mines adds some much-needed flexibility and versatility to his kit, particularly when using the mines for mobility. RIP-Tire’s damage has always been very good, but it was often difficult to steer the tire into position before it was destroyed. Increasing its speed will allow players to effectively detonate the tire more often and decrease the amount of time that Junkrat is vulnerable while controlling it.

Orisa

Fusion Driver
    Projectile speed increased by 20%

Protective Barrier

Barrier size increase by 20%
    Barrier shape has been changed to allow for more coverage from enemies that are below the barrier
    Developer Comments: The projectile speed increase helps Orisa’s consistency, especially at medium ranges (or further). Her barrier size has been increased to better protect her team, and the new shape makes the shield more effective when it’s used on slopes or on top of objects (such as a payload).

Roadhog

Take a Breather
    Can now be used while moving
    Damage taken while healing has been reduced by 50%
    Developer Comments: We don't know what we're doing, but hopefully you'll buy that These changes help Roadhog be much more aggressive when looking for hook targets or blocking for his team. The combination of these effects significantly increases Roadhog’s sustainability and survivability.

Widowmaker

Grappling Hook
    Cooldown has been reduced from 12 seconds to 8

Venom Mine
    Affected targets are now visible through walls (to you as Widowmaker only)
    Developer Comments: Widowmaker is extremely powerful in the right hands, but her abilities often felt a little weak. The Grappling Hook cooldown reduction means she is more likely to have it available when she needs to escape. Venom Mine is intended to be an early warning system, uncovering enemies that are attempting to flank her or her team. With this change, she can see enemies when they trigger the mine, even if they’re on the other side of a wall.
    https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/blog...920#patchnotes

Terrible Roadhog changes that will fix nothing and no one asked for, decent Junkrat buffs, tolerable Widowmaker buffs. I might break out Orisa again.
    "It's 2013 and I still view the internet on a 560x192 resolution monitor!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post
    Terrible Roadhog changes that will fix nothing and no one asked for
    Gotta disagree. Before, he was played essentially as a tanky DPS, not a tank. He flanked and picked people off. Neutering his damage output meant he could no longer pick people off effectively, but he still lacked the defensive tools to really handle front-line stuff; he ended up being a bullet sponge that often just gave the enemy team ult charge.

The changes here mean that using Take a Breather isn't a death sentence if you aren't hidden; you can pop it any time as a survival tool. The 50% damage reduction also helps ensure that you're much less of an ult charge sponge while using it, even beyond the added difficulty of hitting the mobile Roadhog (not that his fat ass is hard to hit, but you can duck around a corner while channeling it now). You can pop it to keep yourself alive as you run for cover, whereas right now, you've got to hope that they can't kill you.

It'll hopefully make Roadhog more valid as a pick for front-line harassment duty, less offensive oomph than his pre-nerf iteration, but WAY more survivability.

7+ Year Old Account
    Grappling Hook
    Cooldown has been reduced from 12 seconds to 8
    took them long enough

Formerly known as Arafal

Deleted
    Really hope these buffs will mean more frequent Roadhog and Orisa picks, I rather miss both of them as well as Reinhardt.

Roadhog is fine. easier to get kills after the nerf.

Been saying Junkrat needs double mines since forever, glad they're finally trying to make him better as a hero.

Orisa changes sound good, maybe too good who knows.

Grappling Hook cd reduction has been asked for since forever so that's good too.

Can't comment on Hog till I try him.

Looks like Jessicka is going to be really happy about that widow change ! Roadhog's heal change is also pretty neat as well : it gives him Orisa-kindof ability allowing him to survive certain abilities more easier (for example : Junkrat tire, Dva bomb *if* above 500 when it blows up at blank range, Mccree high noon, etc).

As for Orisa...no opinion on her yet, I'd say it depends on the shape on the new barrier.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Being bad is the first step to gittin gud, before anyone was gud, they were bad. Not everyone is as equally skilled at the start but everyone can learn to git gud. - Ythisens
    Tofinish list : NOTHING CAUSE I FINALLY DID IT.
    Todo list : S;G0, New Game, Erased.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Gotta disagree. Before, he was played essentially as a tanky DPS, not a tank
    Because he was never a true tank and was never designed to be a true tank, ala get people to focus him. Hence why he had no armor and no way of stopping damage being applied to his team- there were already 4 other heroes to do that. He was a bruiser, a zoner. Blizzard in all of their Baby Huey glory put him in the Tank category because of his high HP only, and his method of "tanking" was snatching little shits like Genji and Tracer, as well as threats popping shots at him and his team, and killing them.

So great. What good does this change do for his tanking potential? Well... I suppose he can survive a Trace pulse bomb, but she'll have it back in 20 seconds anyways because lol Roadhog. Hey that's great, you lived. The rest of your team died. Guess you can run around trying to shoot your gun, but that was also nerfed into a confetti blaster.

Use your chain as CC? 8 second cooldown, whereas any high threat hero he gets likely (90%) has an escape and zips back to his team lickety split, no problem whatsoever. Because Hog can't follow up on his chain.

I don't know where this "Roadhog is flanking behind the enemy team" meme came from. I have to assume it's in the lower leagues, because everytime a Roadhog tried that on my team or the enemies, they just get destroyed.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by A-sayo View Post
    As for Orisa...no opinion on her yet, I'd say it depends on the shape on the new barrier.
    Just popped on to grab some screencaps in the training range and tried to match location/angle as best I could between PTR and live;

It's significantly bigger, and you can clearly see the big chunk they added to the bottom, which extends down more or less "straight"; it doesn't curve in like the top does.

Her primary fire speed feels a LOT better, too.

Just popped on to grab some screencaps in the training range and tried to match location/angle as best I could between PTR and live;

It's significantly bigger, and you can clearly see the big chunk they added to the bottom, which extends down more or less "straight"; it doesn't curve in like the top does.

Her primary fire speed feels a LOT better, too.
    Indeed, now it looks like a curved rein shield (instead of a 'smaller' curved rein shield).
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Being bad is the first step to gittin gud, before anyone was gud, they were bad. Not everyone is as equally skilled at the start but everyone can learn to git gud. - Ythisens
    Tofinish list : NOTHING CAUSE I FINALLY DID IT.
    Todo list : S;G0, New Game, Erased.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by A-sayo View Post
    Looks like Jessicka is going to be really happy about that widow change ! Roadhog's heal change is also pretty neat as well : it gives him Orisa-kindof ability allowing him to survive certain abilities more easier (for example : Junkrat tire, Dva bomb *if* above 500 when it blows up at blank range, Mccree high noon, etc).

I welcome both the Widow and Orisa changes.

The Mine change isn't what I wanted, but that's okay, I guess we'll be using it a bit like the Discord marker putting it on chokes and other hiding places to pick players off when they come around corners... or it'll just make them hide for 5 seconds. Really not sure how it'll help. The Grapple is a big deal though.

As for Orisa, not having to lead shots by half the screen is a nice buff, and that shield looks much better cover from snipers and Pharah. That piece at the bottom will help on Payloads too where players could get shots under it.

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    Those Widow changes, Kreygasm

Best buffs ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NoiseTank13 View Post
    Because he was never a true tank and was never designed to be a true tank, ala get people to focus him. Hence why he had no armor and no way of stopping damage being applied to his team- there were already 4 other heroes to do that. He was a bruiser, a zoner. Blizzard in all of their Baby Huey glory put him in the Tank category because of his high HP only, and his method of "tanking" was snatching little shits like Genji and Tracer, as well as threats popping shots at him and his team, and killing them.
    Tanks in OW don't get people to "focus them". They're annoyances that draw fire because eliminating them breaks the line of defense. Tanks like Winston actively don't want you to focus them, because their health pool can't really take it; Zarya's the same way. They need to be cautious about taking damage, in ways that Roadhog really doesn't, especially after this change goes live. Same for Reinhardt, in a different way; you want to burn down his shield, because it's in the way, but mostly so you can take out the healers and such behind him, not the Reinhardt himself; he's not the primary threat.

You're narrowing down the definition of "tank" solely to exclude Roadhog, and without any real basis for doing so, other than you want to exclude Roadhog.

Here's how Blizzard defines "tank":

"Tank heroes soak damage and break apart fortified positions, like closely-grouped enemies and narrow chokepoints. If you’re a tank, you lead the charge."

Right from the main website; https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/game/overview/

And Roadhog, especially after the change, does exactly that.

So great. What good does this change do for his tanking potential? Well... I suppose he can survive a Trace pulse bomb, but she'll have it back in 20 seconds anyways because lol Roadhog. Hey that's great, you lived. The rest of your team died. Guess you can run around trying to shoot your gun, but that was also nerfed into a confetti blaster.
    10% less overall DPS isn't the huge nerf you're making it out to be.

Use your chain as CC? 8 second cooldown, whereas any high threat hero he gets likely (90%) has an escape and zips back to his team lickety split, no problem whatsoever. Because Hog can't follow up on his chain.
    Hook + shot + melee is still over 200 damage delivered with next to no opportunity for an escape. You just need to add the melee in there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Two concussion mines? Hooo boy this should be fun

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    Two concussion mines? Hooo boy this should be fun
    Note that I just tested this; you CAN air-burst the second mine in mid-air for a second boost at the peak of your flight from the first. Toss it down and immediately detonate.

10+ Year Old Account
    Junkrat need a buff, well done Blizzard!
    Roadhog need a buff, well done Blizzard!
    Widowmaker need a buff, well done Blizzard!

Orisa need a nerf, what the hell Blizzard?

10+ Year Old Account
    Note that I just tested this; you CAN air-burst the second mine in mid-air for a second boost at the peak of your flight from the first. Toss it down and immediately detonate.
    I need to work on my timing for that. Never been able to pull off the double jump. But I for sure I can't wait to use this buff offensively. I love throwing it into groups to displace everyone

10+ Year Old Account
    Junkrat change is good. I assume the riptire wording means it can climb any surface now instead of getting tired halfway up. At work so can't test it, how does the two mines work in regards to detonating them?

Orisa changes are fine. Her shield was way too easy to shoot around.

Grappling hook change was a long time coming. I don't even play Widow and I never understood why that cooldown was so long. No opinion on the mine.

Roadhog change is fine, but by itself it won't change anything. He's still just as squishy when he's not using his breather, and his damage is still inconsistently bad. He doesn't magically become a tank because he gets Orisa's damage reduction cooldown.

I don't feel like the roadhog "buff" changes anything that's wrong with him. He was never a tank to begin with, just a dps with a lot of health. He was designed incorrectly if they just now want to address that he isn't an actual tank.

He needs a symmetra level change to his over all kit if they want him to be a tank
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

Tanks in OW don't get people to "focus them". They're annoyances that draw fire because eliminating them breaks the line of defense. Tanks like Winston actively don't want you to focus them, because their health pool can't really take it; Zarya's the same way. They need to be cautious about taking damage, in ways that Roadhog really doesn't, especially after this change goes live. Same for Reinhardt, in a different way; you want to burn down his shield, because it's in the way, but mostly so you can take out the healers and such behind him, not the Reinhardt himself; he's not the primary threat.

You're narrowing down the definition of "tank" solely to exclude Roadhog, and without any real basis for doing so, other than you want to exclude Roadhog.

Here's how Blizzard defines "tank":

"Tank heroes soak damage and break apart fortified positions, like closely-grouped enemies and narrow chokepoints. If you’re a tank, you lead the charge."

Right from the main website; https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/game/overview/
    And the fact that Kaplan also said that the heroes aren't strictly restricted to that role in those categories- they just put them there because new/casual players were overwhelmed at all the choices. It's why Symmetra was put in Support, even though she's 80/20 Defense/Support.

And Roadhog, especially after the change, does exactly that.
    Extremely bold thing to say with only 2 hours on the PTR and a minuscule portion of the playerbase of wildly differing skills playing it. 2 meager seconds of doing nothing while chaos happens around you is hardly leading the charge on anything. At least Reinhardt and Orisa can block damage thrown at their team at chokepoints. Zarya feeds energy off it. DVa nullifies it. Winston... is busy in their backline doing monkey business. Roadhog is... running around vaping. It's a purely selfish ability.

10% less overall DPS isn't the huge nerf you're making it out to be.
    ... Since when was a literal -33% bullet damage nerf a mere 10% decrease? Are you including the ROF buff? If so, that would explain why you think

Hook + shot + melee is still over 200 damage delivered with next to no opportunity for an escape. You just need to add the melee in there.
    ... is still a thing. No. You have to shoot twice. And if you don't get them, they are gone. And not dead.

And with the ridiculous amount of mobility skills in the game, good luck getting them with the spread on that thing
    Last edited by NoiseTank13; 2017-08-11 at 12:54 AM.