More varied quest system?

What if, in addition to the rather basic "play 10 games" "win 3 games" "play 2/3 games with X herotype/franchise" we also had a separate system with varied rewards for pulling off certain activities in game?

Clutch heals, escaping near death, narrowly surviving fights you won in, saving a team mate, dodging skillshots, stealing a merc camp, assassination contracts on hero types or franchises, etc. Due to the variance it would be better to have a choice system where you select one of a random roll of three or so.

One of the major issues with this would ofcourse be people going out of their way to perform them or to force situations to get them, thus ignoring what is needed in the game and losing a match. Chasing the quest rather than playing the match.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only thing what game needed, is reroll quests because.

For example i don't enjoy playing warriors, but right now i am forced do that daily.

Sounds like a bad idea. One, it's too random.

The first problem, you could potentially be saddled with a quest that you have NO way to force progress on. Suppose I get the quest to dodge 3 skill shots, then the enemy team consists of a Bunny Hop D.Va, a Lili, a Samuro, a Sylvanas, and a Leaping Strike Lunara. Literally no chance of of getting any quest progress that game. Or suppose I get an enemy team who never goes for merc camps(or my team has a great jungler who is always taking them solo before the enemy even knows it), it's going to be hard to steal from them. With the current system, I can guarantee working towards whatever quest comes up simply by choosing the right franchise or hero type(or just by playing).

Second of all, many of those things are kinda undefined, at least from what the game sees. What constitutes "dodging" a skillshot, in quest terms? I had a game the other night where a Nova sniped at me and missed even though I was totally stationary. Does that count as a dodge? What if she had me targeted then accidentally moved her mouse, is it a dodge then? If Raynor fires an unaimed Penetrating Shot into a bush as I happen to be passing through it, I pass through the shot's line of fire(without realizing it) but keep going, and so the shot misses, is it a dodge? I mean, I wouldn't think so, but the game data would see that at 1 point the skill shot targeting arrow intersected my character then the shot didn't hit, so from what the game sees it was a dodge. Or what constitutes "stealing" a merc camp? I mean, I think of it as someone from the other team starts the merc camp, then right before they cap it, you come over and kill them and take the camp. But the game has no way of measuring that. If we're on Garden Terror map, enemy Tychus is chasing your Kael, throws his grenade, and the explosion triggers the siege giant camp, then all of a sudden, your ally Illidan hunts in, the 2 of you kill Tychus, then Illidan decides to take the camp while he's there. The game sees that Tychus started the camp but Illidan finished it, so is that a steal? I certainly wouldn't call it that, but the game sees 1 team start a merc camp, then the other team take it, so I guess it is?

And lastly, as you said, it can encourage bad behavior. Do you really want to be grouped with an Uther or Stukov who avoids healing you until right as you're almost dead, because he's trying to get his "Clutch Heal" quest completed? In a team fight, do you want 2 of your members ignoring it, cause the only Diablo hero on the enemy team is a split pushing Azmodan, and your Malfurion and Johanna have an "assassinate 2 Diablo heroes" quest?

IMO, the other dude has the right idea, a reroll quest would be a better option. That way if you really hate playing warrior or whatever, and you get a play 3 warriors quest, you can just reroll it and get something you like more.

10+ Year Old Account
    I honestly think they should scrap the entire daily quest idea.

They should just give extra gold for playing 3 games a day and give another bonus gold on first 3 wins of the day.

Since they change to daily quests, I just don't care what it is unless it is a 3 win daily as it can be annoying to complete on 'lucky' days.

10+ Year Old Account
    I see no harm in making others play things out of their comfort zone, the playerbase is already terrible enough as is, with many unwilling or unable to play anything other than a damage hero.

Removing that minor encouragement wouldn't improve things and i find it hard to believe that out of the entire roster of support or warriors you can't find a single one that suits you.

Quote Originally Posted by Acidbaron View Post
    I see no harm in making others play things out of their comfort zone, the playerbase is already terrible enough as is, with many unwilling or unable to play anything other than a damage hero.

Removing that minor encouragement wouldn't improve things and i find it hard to believe that out of the entire roster of support or warriors you can't find a single one that suits you.
    Not to mention that certain warriors don't even play like warriors. Sonya is a basically an assassin (along with a few other warriors), and Zarya is a support. Plently of chances to do damage if you don't want to play as the traditional tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    Sounds like a bad idea. One, it's too random.

walls of text.
    i'm not saying those should be the exact quests. just providing a few ideas for more varied types of quests. most of what you said seems to be nitpicking these examples with very specific scenarios rather than the system. There's no requirement which says the varied quests have to be finished in one game either, though a few have the potential for it. There are plenty of actual practical ideas Blizz could use for these after proper testing.

As i mentioned, we can get a random roll of 3 or so to choose one from for the day or other varied systems

10+ Year Old Account
    They should add what they have in Hearthstone, that you can remove 1 quest and it gets replaced with another. Some dont want to play certain types etc, so this could potentially help.

Perhaps have a choice? If you get a quest ex ''Play 3 games as a Warrior'', then you can click to get a new one and choose between 3 others that give the same amount of gold but requires something else, like Assassin, support or whatever.
    Last edited by Dalheim; 2017-08-11 at 03:43 PM.
    Hariuha laþu laukar gakar alu ole lule laukar

Quote Originally Posted by Tenjen View Post
    There's no requirement which says the varied quests have to be finished in one game either,
    Some of us have limited game time, and only play enough to finish our quests. If I have a 3 warrior or 2 Diablo game quest, I know exactly how many games I need to play. With ALL of your examples, you could literally play a dozen games and never get them completed. So...if you can provide some REASONABLE alternative dailies, instead of all your suggestions, then I'll consider it a possible option. Otherwise, it's a bad idea.