10+ Year Old Account

Hollywood’s Summer From Hell

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic..._medium=social

Hollywood’s cold, wet American summer is pretty much over already.

Domestic box office revenue for the season is trailing last year by 11 percent and none of the major releases still coming are expected to change that trajectory. In fact, things are likely to get worse for U.S. studios before the leaves change. Without a film debuting widely over the Labor Day weekend, BoxOffice Media predicts the film industry will end the summer of 2017 with sales down by up to 15 percent. That’s a horror-film scenario that translates into roughly one in six American moviegoers choosing to stay home and stream Game of Thrones.

“It’s a dead zone,” said Jeff Bock, senior box office analyst at Exhibitor Relations Co. “In the next three weeks, there’s going to be a lot of doom and gloom.”

It’s not as if there weren’t anything decent to watch. In looking at critical reviews of the top 10-grossing summer films, this season’s slate was one of the most lauded of the decade. Topped by “Wonder Woman” and filled out by media darlings such as “Dunkirk” and “Baby Driver,” the most watched films of the season had an average score of 72 on Rottentomatoes.com, an aggregator of reviews. Only two other summers since 2007 had such high marks.

The problem for major studios is that some of those films should never have been at the top of the list, money-wise. Many of the CGI spectacles and raunchy comedies that usually win the sweltering day in theaters flopped spectacularly.

“We had one of the best summers ever in terms of the content,” said Paul Dergarabedian, senior analyst for ComScore Inc. “Smaller movies became very profitable, and the films that took risks were rewarded.” Translation: Formulaic, noisy, exploding blockbusters broke.

Consider the Transformers franchise, which historically is impervious to critical volleys. Over the past decade, four of these films buzzed and whirred through terrible ratings, stomped into theaters and left with huge bags of cash. The sophomore film of the franchise—slapped with a 19 percent approval score—was second only to “Avatar” in the 2009 revenue ranking.

Not so this year. Saddled with its typically terrible press, “Transformers: The Last Knight,” sputtered out of the gate and managed to garner barely half as much domestic revenue as the previous film in the series. It was bested by “Dunkirk,” a Warner Bros. military drama with a time-bending twist by director Christopher Nolan—which cost less than half as much to make.

A similar storyline panned out for the unsurprisingly bad “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales,” “The Mummy” and a string of R-rated romps led by “Baywatch.” “Sequels are generally the industry’s safety net, and that safety net isn’t holding anymore,” Bock said. “There’s a huge rip in the way Hollywood does business.” Meanwhile, those few big budget productions that managed to win over critics, including “Wonder Woman” and the latest Spider-Man vehicle, were rewarded.

To be fair to Los Angeles producers, this would have been hard to predict. Stuporous summer audiences will typically show up in waves for any feature with a big enough marketing campaign. Tell them loudly that “Rush Hour 3” will be fun and you’ve got a box office braggart on your hands. We crunched box office revenue and aggregate critical scores for the top 10 grossing movies of every summer in the past decade—100 films in all—and found the correlation between positive press and ticket sales fairly slight—.28 to be exact. For every Oscar-stuffed spectacle such as “Mad Max: Fury Road,” there’s a “Grown Ups,” which had a 10 percent approval rating and still rounded up almost $162 million in domestic theaters.

These days, however, would-be ticket buyers don’t need to read reviews. They can just look at an approval score aggregated by a site such as Rottentomatoes.com, an IMDb property, or Metacritic, a unit of CBS Interactive. Even the worst films used to at least get one solid weekend of sales before a poor reputation caught up to it on Monday. Twitter and Facebook, however, have shortened that window to the point where a film like “King Arthur: Legend of the Sword” is pretty much dead on arrival Friday night. “Social media makes the water cooler effect immediate,” Dergarabedian said.

Shawn Robbins, chief analyst at Boxoffice.com, calls it “the Rotten Tomatoes effect” and believes studios are finally beginning to pay attention to it. “The important lesson studios should be taking away is: Just because you put a bunch of franchises on the schedule doesn’t mean they are going to make money,” Robbins said. In coming summers, he expects Hollywood to offer more horror films, which tend to be immune to ratings, and a greater share of inexpensive but carefully crafted dramas and comedies such as “The Big Sick,” an Amazon Studios project that parlayed Sundance praise and a limited release into a $35 million domestic haul.

Producers, however, aren’t likely to double screenwriting budgets, sack the CGI staff and tear up a years-long release schedule packed with action. While the blockbuster terrain has shifted, the rest of the world—and its burgeoning movie market—is acting much like U.S. audiences circa 2007. The new offerings from the Pirates of the Caribbean and Transformers franchises each collected almost eight out of their 10 box office dollars abroad. This year, North America is accounting for just shy of 30 percent of global box office revenue, according to ComScore Inc.

Time will tell if the “Rotten Tomatoes effect” moves abroad. In the meantime, Hollywood will be busy trying to make up lost ground. “Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle,” starring Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson, is scheduled for December.

Producers, however, aren’t likely to double screenwriting budgets, sack the CGI staff and tear up a years-long release schedule packed with action. While the blockbuster terrain has shifted, the rest of the world—and its burgeoning movie market—is acting much like U.S. audiences circa 2007.
    Well, shit.

I'm reminded of that steaming dump on the carpet called the Warcraft movie, and how it did so well overseas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    Good, that's what happens when they just aggregate the same garbage over and over via sequels and remakes. Nice to see people are starting to show them with their wallets.

This is just a precursor to how badly things will be for Hollywood this time next year. The amount of movies coming out might actually cause a collapse in sales.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, honest-to-God, there are more things that I really want to see on streaming than in movie theaters. With the price of tickets, food and all the rest it really takes something extraordinary to get me out. There hasn't been a lot of that this summer and sequels are easy enough to wait for them to show up at home. I doubt if I'll be in a movie theater proper again before the new Bladerunner movie comes out. Yes, there's some irony there. A little.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Maybe they should stop making cgi shit with shit stories. Get something nee and fresh that isn't changed by studio execs. These aresholes desevre to crash and burn.

I'm perfectly content waiting till I can watch stuff from my couch at home.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good news for people that like good films hopefully

The only two movies I'm planning to go see in theaters this year are "The Dark Tower" (despite all the shitty reviews) and the "It" remake, and mainly only because I have some friends interested in seeing both so it'll be a fun outing. I don't go to see movies alone though...even without the concession stand purchases (which I don't bother with anyway) you're looking at $12+, and now you have to sit through ~20 minutes of normal commercials, then previews, then finally the movie itself. The experience just isn't the same fun that it used to be and it costs too much. These days I hold out for Netflix or Redbox, or (increasingly frequently) just not watching movies at all.

I have the feeling I'm not the only one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly this summer the movies haven't been that different than any other summer. Majority of the movies they make are stuff I'd never wanna waste my time. Movies I do wanna see I still have a hard time wanting to watch cause it's a choice of either playing a video game or watching a meh movie. As far as stories go, video games are far more interesting than any movie I've seen since Back To The Future.

It's a choice of movies that are either remade pieces of shit, or the kind of movie that has really good acting but a really uninteresting story, or play Fallout 4 where I'm looking for my son in a post nuclear waste land where I uncover the mysterious institute. There's seriously way too much emphasis on making a profitable movie than making an actual good movie. This will cause an effect that will just devalue the movie industry as a whole over time until one day a really bad movie comes out and just pushes the consumer over the edge and just forgets about movies. The emoji movie could be that bad but we'll see if it'll ET the movie industry.