Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    A lot of people say that divorce is bad for kids, and they should just 'stick it out for the kids'. You know what's awful? Growing up with miserable parents. That does a lot more damage than separate, happy ones (or at least not mad).

It's not uncommon at all, really. Sometimes relationships just don't work out, or people DO stay so long together because they hope it will just 'fix itself'. I grew up bouncing between my parents every other week and thought it was normal and fine. I think I would have much rather that, than them yelling at eachother.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

She's a slick ho.

The Unstoppable Force Mall Security's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    I was reading the newspaper and came across this.

I don't know anyone with such an arrangement yet she says it is common?. How does that even happen? Not to mention raising 2 kids who have different dads on their own?

Why would such a set up be common? Wouldn't it make more sense to have a stable 2 parent family?
    I am going to say lack of education and probably over all I.Q or intelligent, not that people with higher I.Q's wont do stupid things. Or that having two fathers one mother has to be stupid.

I would say the lack of sex ed or contraception could be a real issue also.

But yeah gay or straight I think a two parent set up is the best, mostly because a kid can be a lot of responsibility, I mean a person can do it but regardless to wealth, there needs to be actual parenting.

I would also say things could be better if as a society we were smarter too, that education for everyone including adults after they have had children would be good too. Especially single parent homes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    A lot of people say that divorce is bad for kids, and they should just 'stick it out for the kids'. You know what's awful? Growing up with miserable parents. That does a lot more damage than separate, happy ones (or at least not mad).

It's not uncommon at all, really. Sometimes relationships just don't work out, or people DO stay so long together because they hope it will just 'fix itself'. I grew up bouncing between my parents every other week and thought it was normal and fine. I think I would have much rather that, than them yelling at eachother.
    Yeah, I think I am in that first part you talked about, having a kids get married and if it doesn't work try to make it work, and getting a vasectomy. I think the worst is just having kids with multiple partners is probably the worst.
    Can gods bleed? I mean to find out! MallSecurity MallTube

Quote Originally Posted by Dys View Post
    She's a slick ho.
    I don't get how you don't learn your lesson the first time. You get knocked up once but then allow it to happen again. How does that happen. Especially now with contraceptives.

Isn't this fairly common in the new divorce heavy, nuclear family removed society we're in? Maybe not having two kids with different fathers and not being with either of 'em, but even that isn't really surprising.

I mean, whatever floats your boat. I come from the most ordinary family ever and I'm way more fucked up than most people I've met who didn't. So that's probably not the biggest contributor to ones eventual well-being in life.
    Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    >"*any change happens*"

OMG BLIZZ YOU HAD ONE JOB!!

I think the main oddity to me is that the article presents it as a cultural ideal, rather than "shit happened, we're making it work". I know plenty of folks in similar situations, but they didn't like, set out to get knocked up by guy A, then guy B, and work out stuff. They just didn't care not to.

The idea that they make things work with helping out money wise is a good example of it. In most of these situations, they can't afford child support, so they just give money when needed/ available with no regard to a steady situation. So it's more of a "in my soceity this is how it happens" not "in my culture, this is how we plan things".
    "Nonsense repeated, does not become truth."
    SW Referral link http://www.swtor.com/r/LqNC8G

It makes a lot more sense from a biological perspective than the insane 'till death do us part' monogamy that usually ends up failing anyway. But in Western culture, founded on on roots of Christian morality? No, I don't think it's very common and I can understand why cultural outsiders would feel pressure to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    It makes a lot more sense from a biological perspective than the insane 'till death do us part' monogamy that usually ends up failing anyway. But in Western culture, founded on on roots of Christian morality? No, I don't think it's very common and I can understand why cultural outsiders would feel pressure to change.
    If we look at thousands of years of mankind, humans have been getting married and sticking together. Not having kids out of wedlock with different men. We aren't wild animals.

I am oh, so glad that they sometimes help out and give her a little money.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrif View Post
    Isn't this fairly common in the new divorce heavy, nuclear family removed society we're in? Maybe not having two kids with different fathers and not being with either of 'em, but even that isn't really surprising.

I mean, whatever floats your boat. I come from the most ordinary family ever and I'm way more fucked up than most people I've met who didn't. So that's probably not the biggest contributor to ones eventual well-being in life.

Define fucked up.
    Last edited by Video Games; 2017-08-14 at 02:28 AM.

Yes its common...

Divorce rates are what, around 50%? Add people having babies out of wedlock. If the kids are taken care of then who cares?