Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Bodycam of Cop Shot 4 Times Released

This happened on New Years Day, 2016. I'm not saying this justifies cops using excessive force at all times, but if you've ever wondered why cops seem trigger happy, it's because they show you shit like this in training school on what happens if you hesitate to act or give suspects the benefit of a doubt:

The officer shot miraculously survived and the guy got 35 years in prison, but holy shit, this footage is scary. If I were him I would have tazed the guy as soon as he ignored my first warning.

We had a thread on this, folks called the cop stupid. I except the same thing to happen until its locked.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    We had a thread on this, folks called the cop stupid. I except the same thing to happen until its locked.
    And if he had tazed the guy they would have called him an abusive monster. Cops can't win these days.

Well yeah, when many people are desperate they resort to self-defense, and sometimes that act of preserving one's life can be lethal to the attacker.

Who knew right?
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

10+ Year Old Account
    What was the context here?

Quote Originally Posted by PosPosPos View Post
    Well yeah, when many people are desperate they resort to self-defense, and sometimes that act of preserving one's life can be lethal to the attacker.

Who knew right?
    Are you fucking kidding me? The guy ignored the cop, and answered non-lethal force with lethal force. The suspect's life was never in jeopardy. Then again, you're probably one of those assholes who will ALWAYS side with a lawbreaker, no matter how monstrous, over a cop.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    What was the context here?
    The suspect was threatening and harassing people in a grocery store and openly stealing things off the shelves. Cops are called. Officer finds him nearby, asks him to stop several times. Cop draws a taser, says that if the suspect doesn't comply by stopping and show him his hands, he will be tazed. Suspect draws gun, shoots cop 4 times and flees.

Both men in this instance are black, by the way, so anyone who's about to cry "RACISM!" can kindly STFU.
    Last edited by jimboa24; 2017-08-13 at 05:01 AM.

Who knew right?
    That's nice, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the situation in the video.

Who knew right?
    Are you referring to some different video? How does this have anything to do with this thread?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    And if he had tazed the guy they would have called him an abusive monster. Cops can't win these days.
    Y'know that's not an inconsistency, right?

Police officers aren't supposed to escalate violence for shits and giggles. If you can identify a threat, to yourself or bystanders, that gives you cause to step up violence in response to that escalation, but if you cannot identify such a threat, you don't have cause to do so. Cops can't shoot people "just in case", nor can they use tasers that way either.

The cop did everything right in this incident. Sometimes, doing everything right is gonna put them at risk. That does not mean they should be pre-emptively shooting or tasering people "just in case".

That doesn't mean I'm in any way defending the shooter, either. That guy's a criminal and needs to be in prison for attempted murder at the very least. I'm just making the point that you cannot have a system that both protects cops lives to the maximum extent and the lives of innocent civilians. And cops killing innocent people "just in case" should never happen. So the balance point has to give the suspect the benefit of the doubt, until you identify the existence of a threat. And noncompliance alone is not enough. That puts cops at some risk, yes, but even given the current state of the USA, it's a perfectly acceptable level of risk; they don't even break the top 10 of "most dangerous professions". You're more likely to die on the job working construction. So let's not exaggerate the risks, either.
    Last edited by Endus; 2017-08-13 at 05:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post

Police officers aren't supposed to escalate violence for shits and giggles. If you can identify a threat, to yourself or bystanders, that gives you cause to step up violence in response to that escalation, but if you cannot identify such a threat, you don't have cause to do so. Cops can't shoot people "just in case", nor can they use tasers that way either.

The cop did everything right in this incident. Sometimes, doing everything right is gonna put them at risk. That does not mean they should be pre-emptively shooting or tasering people "just in case".
    Actually, he should have tazed the suspect as soon as the suspect refused to comply with his warning. He warned him 4 times once his tazer was in view of his camera (I counted), and he had the tazer drawn before he raised it. So, no, he didn't do everything right. He gave the suspect more leeway than he should have.

it wasnt a bodycam actually. The police officer brought his own camera on his glasses. Its why the POV is so high

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post

Ahhh... Another Endus "cops deserve to get shot because they signed up for it" post. Classic.

Actually, he should have tazed the suspect as soon as the suspect refused to comply with his warning. He warned him 4 times once his tazer was in view of his camera (I counted), and he had the tazer drawn before he raised it. So, no, he didn't do everything right. He gave the suspect more leeway than he should have.
    He not only didn't do everything right - he shouldn't have his taser out in the first place. He should have his weapon drawn.

The clothing the suspect is wearing makes it VERY likely that the taser will do nothing, and he'll end up in this scenario anyway even if he tried to utilize it first.

source: LE

10+ Year Old Account
    Noncompliance isn't justification for use of a taser. Tasers aren't non-lethal; you know that, right? They carry a significant risk.

At this point, he'd just asked the guy to stop. He hadn't told the guy he was being detained, or under arrest. He was proceeding as he should have, and the guy suddenly escalated to lethal force.

I'm not even taking issue with him drawing the taser and threatening to use it. But the guy hadn't done anything to justify its preemptive use. The officer was trying to de-escalate and get control of the situation, which is their job. And sometimes, it's going to mean cops get shot. They don't get to pre-emptively shoot innocent people "just in case" to avoid that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Ahhh... Another Endus "cops deserve to get shot because they signed up for it" post. Classic.

So no actual point to make, then?

I didn't say he deserved to get shot. I said getting shot is a known potential risk of the job, and the existence of that risk doesn't justify shooting potentially innocent people pre-emptively. That's not a shocking position; pretty much every police force in the developed world, including the USA, agrees with that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxsz View Post
    He not only didn't do everything right - he shouldn't have his taser out in the first place. He should have his weapon drawn.

The clothing the suspect is wearing makes it VERY likely that the taser will do nothing, and he'll end up in this scenario anyway even if he tried to utilize it first.

source: LE
    Fair point, and I wouldn't have had an issue with him having his service weapon drawn instead of a taser. But he still had no cause to fire until the guy drew. That's my point, here.

Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    That's nice, but that has absolutely nothing to do with the situation in the video.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaxsz View Post
    Are you referring to some different video? How does this have anything to do with this thread?
    It has everything to do with why there's so much anti-cop "violence" in the US in general, sorry for not pandering to you guys cherrypicking one single scenario here out of the thousands others.
    "My successes are my own, but my failures are due to extremist leftist liberals" - Party of Personal Responsibility

Prediction for the future

It has everything to do with why there's so much anti-cop "violence" in the US in general, sorry for not pandering to you guys cherrypicking one single scenario here out of the thousands others.
    Oh, ok so you were making an irrelevant post not even connected to the video. Okay then.

Yeah, cops getting shot and executed on the job, to you, is "violence" with quotation marks? Way to be one of those dumbass edgelord tards who think that the police is an "occupying force" instead of an institution that every civilized society sets up to enforce the law and order.

Infracted - Minor Flaming
    Last edited by Gray_Matter; 2017-08-13 at 06:55 AM.

Deleted
    Brutal how casual it is. Did they catch the guy who shot him? And how did he get a gun?

Deleted
    In a country where everyone has access to a firearm, what do people even expect from the police?

Seems like the worst country on earth to be a cop.

Who knew right?
    no, thats why shitty people do. criminals typically. normal people, do not.

- - - Updated - - -

anti cop violence by criminals. not well adjusted, normal people, by the lowest dregs of society seeking an excuse for themselves.