Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Anti-hunt protesters march through London

http://www.itv.com/news/london/2017-...hrough-london/

Campaigners against badger culling and blood sports have staged a protest through central London to Downing Street.

Springwatch presenter Chris Packham was among the crowds calling for an end to the slaughter of wildlife.

He earlier described such activities as a "dying business".

The protests called for an end to the controversial practice of badger culling, as well as driven grouse shooting in which birds are flushed out towards shooters.

Marchers also urged Prime Minister Theresa May to keep the ban on fox hunting.

"A rapidly growing number of people have had enough cruelty and criminality in the UK countryside.

We've had it with snares, leadshot, illegal persecution. We've had it with a lack of scientifically informed decisions and animals being ripped to pieces with dogs. We've had it with our dwindling wildlife being wasted by psychopaths who kill for pleasure.

Killing wildlife for fun is a dying business."

-CHRIS PACKHAM-

Many of those taking part carried banners stating "Kill the Cull" while some wore fox and badger masks.

They chanted "Save our badgers, stop the cull", "Save our foxes, keep the ban" and "There's no excuse for animal abuse".

Both badger culling and blood sports remain contested issues.

Some farmers say that killing badgers helps to prevent the spread of TB to cattle, though that claim is disputed.

Mrs May also revealed that she had "always supported fox hunting" and would be in favour of holding a free vote over rolling back the current ban before the last general election.

That policy has since been dropped, with poll suggesting that the majority of Britons back the current ban.

Amanda Anderson, Director of the Moorland Association, said that shooting events could help preserve the countryside and could boost the rural economy.

“It is a great pity that those calling for a ban on shooting on the moor ignore the very substantial social, economic and environmental benefits that moorland management provides," she said.

"The habitat is managed all year and there is only eight days shooting. It helps preserve and enhance precious heather habitat, protect it from wildfire and is at the forefront of the UK’s peatland restoration."
    I am conflicted, I am against fox hunting but understand the necessity in certain culls

Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    http://www.itv.com/news/london/2017-...hrough-london/

I am conflicted, I am against fox hunting but understand the necessity in certain culls
    We don't have much choice since we broke nature we gained the job as caretakers.

England should just take everyone's guns away and hunting wouldn't be a problem. Should probably take bows away as well since they shoot a projectile.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    England should just take everyone's guns away and hunting wouldn't be a problem. Should probably take bows away as well since they shoot a projectile.
    I imagine that made sense in your warped mind

10+ Year Old Account
    hunting is human nature, no reason to ban it
    it's like banning a lion from hunting a zebra

before saying we don't need it for food, animals in zoos are also getting regular fake hunts to satisfy their needs
    Last edited by Dangg; 2017-08-13 at 01:36 PM.

The Lightbringer Rend Blackhand's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Idiots. Hunting is necessary since wolves and other predators disappeared from Britain. You may not like the idea but an abundance of badgers, foxes and deer is bad for the environment and we need to restore balance.

I can't wait until one of these starts keeping foxes thinking they're just cute ginger doggos but ends up getting rabies and eats shit. Only then will they learn.
    Me not that kind of Orc!

7+ Year Old Account
    I am against hunting with dogs. Fox population needs to be controlled but there are more humane ways to accomplish that which don't involve chasing an animal to exhaustion and laughing with your jolly old chums while it gets torn to shreds.

I think the ban on fox hunting was right, but right now nothing is being done at all to control their populations, and pro-hunters are using this as an argument to bring it back; which is leading to these counter protests.

Culling HAS to happen though, for thousands of years we have changed and unbalanced Britain's ecosystem and now that the only method of control has been taken away there has been a population explosion. If you live in any semi-rural area foxes are a pest, they kill livestock, they attack and kill pets, they damage property, they rip open refuse bags and scatter shit all over people's gardens and they're a danger to drivers.
    Last edited by Thoughtcrime; 2017-08-13 at 02:07 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gypsybob View Post
    Idiots. Hunting is necessary since wolves and other predators disappeared from Britain. You may not like the idea but an abundance of badgers, foxes and deer is bad for the environment and we need to restore balance.

I can't wait until one of these starts keeping foxes thinking they're just cute ginger doggos but ends up getting rabies and eats shit. Only then will they learn.
    Hunting and culling are slightly different. You can cull foxes without fox hunting

Bit pointless, no one is hunting in down town London..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilyaki View Post
    Bit pointless, no one is hunting in down town London..
    Err important politicians are in London, would be stupid protesing in an empty field in Cornwall

Culling is necessary...

I always imagine a disassembly line of euthanasia staff passing the corpses down to the furnace bucket when the topic of 'humane culling' comes up. Neither option is particularly pleasant to think of for too long if you're especially empathetic to animals, but all told I'd think the hunters come out of the experience a little less depressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Can someone explain to me how running down foxes with dogs is "hunting"? I'm not sure I understand what kind of hunting practices these people are protesting against.
    That's not really fair on the dogs, they can't use guns, but they can chase them down fox holes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Exeris View Post
    We don't have much choice since we broke nature we gained the job as caretakers.
    Yes, we broke it.
    And to think that before the age of man all species lived in perfect harmony, no invasive animals existed that endangered other races with their rapid expansions, no races ever went extinct. Those were such good times.
    Fucking hippie idiot.

(Infracted) ~ Minor Flaming
    Last edited by mmocc02219cc8b; 2017-08-13 at 02:32 PM.

Deleted
    Can someone explain to me how running down foxes with dogs is "hunting"? I'm not sure I understand what kind of hunting practices these people are protesting against.
    It's really just a barbaric upper class traditions toffs have a boner over, 84% of Brits want to keep it banned. I believe the protest is against snares, trapping and shooting of wild foxes

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Karashin View Post
    Yes, we broke it.
    And to think that before the age of man all species lived in perfect harmony, no invasive animals existed that endangered other races with their rapid expansions, no races ever went extinct. Those were such good times.
    Fucking hippie idiot.
    I don't recall invasive animals appearing until man... Most pre-human animals became extinct due to environmental events such as natural disasters and climate change. Humans did break the natural order in the UK by hunting wolves and bears to extinction

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karashin View Post
    Yes, we broke it.
    Uhh, yes, we did. Outside of glaciation about 80 - 90% of mainland Britain was covered in forest for tens of millions of years (hence our vast coal deposits) until they were cleared for agriculture and ship building, today it's closer to 15%. Over the past 14,000 years every single large mammal that is now extinct in Britain is directly attributed to human activity. Bears, Lions, and Mammoths all disappeared at the same time as the ice retreated north and farming spread to the British isles. Wolves joined them in extinction in the 19th century.
    Last edited by Thoughtcrime; 2017-08-13 at 02:32 PM.

Hunted animals should always be killed as quickly as possible. Hunting where dogs run down animal and kill it should be banned everywhere.
    I wonder if you would have preferred that wolves stuck around and let nature handle it, or if you would rather protest to get rid of the wolves. The dogs were bred specifically to do their job. To dare to be tongue-in-cheek about it you could dress the puppers in a wolf suit and call it a re-enactment.

Quote Originally Posted by turboether View Post
    I wonder if you would have preferred that wolves stuck around and let nature handle it, or if you would rather protest to get rid of the wolves. The dogs were bred specifically to do their job. To dare to be tongue-in-cheek about it you could dress the puppers in a wolf suit and call it a re-enactment.
    If it's the dogs that do the hunting, then revoke the owners hunting/gun licenses. If they don't even use it themselves, then they don't need it. Or have the people do it themselves, instead of dogs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    True, I was just bored and tired but you are correct.

Last edited by Thwart; Today at 05:21 PM. Reason: Infracted for flaming
    Quote Originally Posted by epigramx View Post
    millennials were the kids of the 9/11 survivors.

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    If it's the dogs that do the hunting, then revoke the owners hunting/gun licenses. If they don't even use it themselves, then they don't need it. Or have the people do it themselves, instead of dogs.
    The dogs are insurance, as it were. You can't say 'oh, the fox got away down a hole, I guess it won and gets to live!' It would defeat the purpose of culling in the first place. Certainly there are other options, like poisoning the fox burrows, or shooting a flamethrower into them and roasting it alive. Playing around with the conditionals of how to kill animals marked for culling is rather pointless other than to make yourself feel better. The fox is certainly not seeing any of the benefits.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have no problem with hunting provided it is for actual food, I think sport hunting would be much better if people signed up to hunt each other legally some how, that way at least there would be a halfway decent fighting chance for the game.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis