3 15.79%
  • Mid Range Build

11 57.89%
  • Upper-Mid Range Build

5 26.32%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenfoldor View Post
    Honestly, in the absence of benchmarks, people should just assume that Intel is better for Legion in a CPU limited area, due to the higher IPC. I'd love to see a legit bench comparing the two cpus in WoW though. There just aren't any WoW benchmarks for Ryzen that I can find.
    There are plenty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sIF6toVPko

is just one I found in 2 seconds.

Saying Ryzen is shit for wow is wrong, you Intels fans kill me. Also saying AMDs video cards are crap at it is comical as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    There are plenty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sIF6toVPko

is just one I found in 2 seconds.

Saying Ryzen is shit for wow is wrong, you Intels fans kill me. Also saying AMDs video cards are crap at it is comical as well.
    He said he was only playing WoW. That video you linked proves that old CPUs (4690K) and much slower CPUs (Pentium) are just as good as a Ryzen, for a fraction of the cost.

AMD shills amuse me.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Enfilade View Post
    He said he was only playing WoW. That video you linked proves that old CPUs (4690K) and much slower CPUs (Pentium) are just as good as a Ryzen, for a fraction of the cost.

AMD shills amuse me.
    Your funny and have no clue what I use...so dont call someone a shill unless you know. I myself prefer and use mainly Intel. That doesnt mean everyone should follow.

Back to your comment.

No one said ....again...that .... Ryzen was better.

You are good at putting words in peoples mouth...and by the way, welcome to the computer forums.

I am starting to lean towards putting my stationary PC up again, just started playing WoW a bit and doing it on my Macbook pro 2017 right now (works fine, high fps and no lag, but graphic settings are... low ).

Anyways, where do you see generally today what's needed for wow? I know you can run it on a old toaster, but i have a high-res monitor and I want everything on absolute max possible and dont want to care about throwing addons and whatever on it.

Monitor is 34" and can run resolution 3440 x 1440.

Where would you put a "minimum" to have a very stable, high FPS? In order for it to survive 1+ years without getting drops for w/e reason.
    The only thing I am sure of is SSD and tons of RAM as I have it available through work, 32GB ram and 3-4 SSDs is no issue, but CPU and GFX I need to buy, not sure where to put the "minimum" level for a "maximum" setting, since I only care about WOW

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xinkir View Post
    Don't use a Ryzen on WoW. Use a 7700k. Higher clocks is what WoW needs, it doesn't use more cores.

I'd replace my 1800x with a 7700k if I could. Maybe next expansion they'll optimize their engines to use more, but I honestly doubt it. Game and engine are too old, even if they say they update it bit by bit every expansion. Heck, most games can't use that many cores.

Rest of your build items are w/e except make sure to get an SSD.
    Finally, someone reasonable who isn't trying to justify their Ryzen purchase. Thank you for offering your two cents here.

Don't use a Ryzen on WoW. Use a 7700k. Higher clocks is what WoW needs, it doesn't use more cores.

I'd replace my 1800x with a 7700k if I could. Maybe next expansion they'll optimize their engines to use more, but I honestly doubt it. Game and engine are too old, even if they say they update it bit by bit every expansion. Heck, most games can't use that many cores.

FFS, people.

It has nothing to do with the age of the engine.

You cant just magically multi-thread everything. Some things MUST be processed serially.

Just the way the world works.

Higher clocks is not necessarily what WoW needs. Nor is it IPC. It's kinda both but really neither. What WoW needs is single core performance. Single core performance is a a combination of IPC and Clock Speed. If there was a CPU out there with really great IPC but low clock speeds, the IPC would make up for the clocks and vice versa, so WoW is not really dependent on either individually but a combination of both.

That said, Ryzen is about on par with Haswell for IPC and on average can reach about the stock clocks of my CPU. Are you telling me that a 4690K at stock is significantly behind a 7700K? I mean sure, it's behind it, but not by as much as people want to make it out to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Ametaphysics View Post
    Hi, I'm starting to play WoW again and will need a desktop. Please vote and tell why you choose the build you choosed.

Budget

CPU: i3 7100
    GPU: GeForce GTX 1050 2 GB
    MOBO: Intel B250
    DDR4: DDR4, 8GB, 2400Mhz
    HDD: 1 TB
    PSU: Lenovo
    Case: Lenovo Minitower

Total cost: 550 $

Mid Range build

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600
    GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 Windforce 2X OC 3 GB
    MOBO: Asus Prime B350-Plus
    DDR4: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black, DDR4, PC21300/2666MHz, CL16 8GB
    HDD: WD Blue WD10EZEX 64MB 1TB
    PSU: Seasonic S12II-620Bronze 620W
    Case: Cooler Master MasterBox 5

Total cost: 750 $

Upper-Mid Range Build

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600X
    GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 Windforce 2X OC 3 GB
    MOBO: GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI
    DDR4: Corsair Vengeance LPX Black, DDR4, PC21300/2666MHz, CL16 8GB
    SSD: Samsung 960 EVO Series 250GB
    GPU-Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4
    PSU: Seasonic Prime Gold 650W
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M
    This build is aimed at being upgraded in the future, thus money spent on expensive high quality parts, such as the PSU and Case

Total cost: 1200 $
    Please avoid buying AMD whether it's the CPU or the GPU. I was just answering a thread before this one where the OP was asking why he had lost so much performance in WoW (And only in WoW). He had upgraded from previous hardware that was Intel to a Ryzen CPU. I'm not a fanboy of any company and AMD works great for the price. As long as you don't plan to play WoW. Just my two cents :]

Quote Originally Posted by Slyxus View Post
    Please avoid buying AMD whether it's the CPU or the GPU. I was just answering a thread before this one where the OP was asking why he had lost so much performance in WoW (And only in WoW). He had upgraded from previous hardware that was Intel to a Ryzen CPU. I'm not a fanboy of any company and AMD works great for the price. As long as you don't plan to play WoW. Just my two cents :]
    Seeing as he is not upgrading from anything, just building a new desktop, it won't cause him a loss in performance.

Also, the new Ryzens have an IPC that is pretty much the same as Haswell. Since with an OC you can easily reach Haswell Stock clocks, that means they'll perform pretty identically to my system at stock speeds, which I assure you is more than enough to handle WoW comfortably. Yeah, like ANY PC, I'll have dips in raids and certain other crowded areas. Outside of those situations, I will easily stay above 60 FPS without worries.

As for the GPUs. Yeah, they'll perform worse than their Nvidia counterparts, however, it doesn't take much to max out WoW. Just about any current AMD GPU would not have any issues with WoW.

Yes, if we were not talking about Ryzen CPUs and we were a couple generations ago in GPUs you would be absolutely correct. It's just not the case anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Seeing as he is not upgrading from anything, just building a new desktop, it won't cause him a loss in performance.

Also, the new Ryzens have an IPC that is pretty much the same as Haswell. Since with an OC you can easily reach Haswell Stock clocks, that means they'll perform pretty identically to my system at stock speeds, which I assure you is more than enough to handle WoW comfortably. Yeah, like ANY PC, I'll have dips in raids and certain other crowded areas. Outside of those situations, I will easily stay above 60 FPS without worries.

As for the GPUs. Yeah, they'll perform worse than their Nvidia counterparts, however, it doesn't take much to max out WoW. Just about any current AMD GPU would not have any issues with WoW.

Yes, if we were not talking about Ryzen CPUs and we were a couple generations ago in GPUs you would be absolutely correct. It's just not the case anymore.
    Wow, Ryzen has almost the same IPC as an Intel chip from over 4 years ago? Mind-blowing! Like I've stated numerous times before, he could've built around a Pentium which would have saved him a lot of money, and had better performance.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyxus View Post
    Said person was also talking out of his behind, too, claiming he got 120fps in raids with a 3770K.

The performance difference is NOT that severe, and will really only impact minimums. So, instead of low-50s/high-40s on an OCed 7700K, an OCed Ryzen at ~3.8hz might drop to the low-40s. Still 100% playable. Both will still deliver 60+gps in all but e most CPU bound situations.

Look, i like Intel, and my new RGB Bling build coming up will almost assuredly feature a Coffee Lake i5-K.... but only because the ONLY thing I do on my PC is game. If i used it for any work or even daily driving, id be buying a Ryzen 5 hexcore or Ryzen 7...

Intel is losing the price/performance war hands down right now. Yeah, an OCed i5 or i7 will perform better... but it will also cost almost twice as much as the equivalent Ryzen part... and the performance isn't going to be massively different. Both will still produce framerates in all but the MOST Single-core dependent games well above 60fps paired wiha good GPU...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Enfilade View Post
    Wow, Ryzen has almost the same IPC as an Intel chip from over 4 years ago? Mind-blowing! Like I've stated numerous times before, he could've built around a Pentium which would have saved him a lot of money, and had better performance.
    Youre acting like theres a huge IPC difference between Haswell and Kaby Lake. There isnt. About 6-10%, at most. In a lot of games... that might be 2-3 fps difference. Maybe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    Intel is losing the price/performance war hands down right now. Yeah, an OCed i5 or i7 will perform better... but it will also cost almost twice as much as the equivalent Ryzen part... and the performance isn't going to be massively different. Both will still produce framerates in all but the MOST Single-core dependent games well above 60fps paired wiha good GPU...
    That'll all change in the next couple months if this is even remotely true:

http://wccftech.com/intel-coffee-lak...nchmarks-leak/