Deleted

Random question from a DotA player

Hello!

After finishing watching the TI7 (thats the dota world championship, sort of say) and recently watching bit more LoL pro games (im noob at the game, pretty much played like 10-20 games or something with friends, I have this question:

Do you think the game needs bit more diversity in lining stage?

For example, in DotA, you can have solo carry 'safe lane', solo offlane, 3ple agresive offlane, 2 mid (support and mid player), jungler, roamers, so on, so on.

In LoL -> EVERY TIME I have EVER watched pro players - 2 players bot lane (adc + sup), spellcaster mid, tank top and a jungler. No surprises, no random rotation.

So, repeating my question, Do you think the game needs bit more diversity in lining stage?

ps. Not trying to bash the game or idolize DotA, just generally curious.

10+ Year Old Account
    Frankly, nah.

The meta has been 'solved' for best efficiency and Riot has just started balancing for it. Instead, you'll find different types of champions in different lanes, sometimes pushed there by Riot, other times because the communities felt they would do well there.

I think the reason why you "see the variety" in DotA, is because the map is way bigger. People can avoid fights and it takes time to walk off lane.

It's true that LoL usually starts with the standard ADC+SP btm lane and etc, but because the map's smaller (I guess to encourage more fights?), the SP and JG can actually roam out quite abit depending on what they want. They can also switch lanes and stuff like that, diversity and strategy wise, it's actually pretty similar to DotA. Just that the map's smaller, which makes a HUGE difference.

Other than fog, there're brushes too which depending on how you see it, some people prefer to have trees so you can run circles around it.

I remember the time when I first started LoL, I was just trying to compare it and constantly trying to promote how DotA is better and all. But after playing for a year (it's been 3+ years now), I come to realization that both games are pretty different in their own ways as they "encourage" different things with all the different changes, especially when new champs/heroes are released.

For now, I can safely say that I'll probably never go back to DotA. I do watch games once in awhile but it's almost always too boring for me because there's the "safe lane", in LoL, you have to "fight for the safe lane" depending on your opponent's strategy as well though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some people will complain about the meta being Solo Top / Solo Mid / Jungle / ADC-Support, but despite that there is actually quite a bit of variety. We constantly go through metashifts of a different variety, we have assassin metas or tank metas, then you still have the offmeta picks that tend to do well when played unexpectedly. Yes, the lanes are drastically different in DOTA 2, but so is the map. You are dealing with a much smaller concentrated map, that has fights happening everywhere in it. The game has evolved to the point that for the most part the 1/1/1/2 meta is the most efficient. You will see rotations happen, but beyond that it will not change too drastically, and this is a good thing in my opinion. Riot has a stable platform to build on, they can generally expect where a champion will be played (yes, there are some exceptions) and balance the champion that way. As we can see with the new champion, they are still able to take some innovative risks (buying without backing) that DOTA has done in the past, but the games are far more different than people think and what one game does, may not necessarily work well in the other.
    We live in an era of "me versus them", an era where something is done that you don't like means you are personally attacked. People whine too much.
    Let us play video games and be happy.