Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    The President used his speech to again tease about a possible pardon for Joe Arpaio, a former Arizona sheriff who is awaiting sentencing after his conviction in federal court for disobeying court orders to stop his immigration patrol.

Last week Mr Trump retweeted a news story speculating that he may extend a presidential pardon to Arpaio.

"Was Sheriff Joe convicted for doing his job?" Mr Trump asked the crowd, which produced a loud "yes" in response.

"He should have had a jury, but you know what? I will make a prediction — I think he is going to be just fine. OK?" the President replied.

"But I won't do it tonight because I don't want to cause any controversy.

"Sheriff Joe can feel good. The people of Arizona know the deadly and heartbreaking consequences of illegal immigration."
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-2...hoenix/8833894

Trump's still dangling this pardon in front of his base.

This is at the "there aren't too many people outside protesting" rally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well let's take a quick look:

Fact-checking President Donald Trump’s campaign rally in Phoenix

"This is my exact words. ‘I love all the people of our country’ …. They (the media say), ‘Is he a racist?’ " Trump said.

Trump neglects to mention his "on many sides" or "good people" comments. Also, two weeks after the fact.

"CNN, their ratings are going down."

They are at a five-year high and within reach of surpassing FOX. The town hall passed anything FOX has done in the last week, but that of course is a one-off.

"Wages haven’t gone up in a long time."

Wages have been going up the last 3 to 5 years, depending on metric.

"Economic growth has surged to 2.6 percent … Remember I said we’re going to try and hit 3 percent, we’re already at 2.6 percent, maybe I’ll have to increase my offer."

Trump said 4 percent. 2.6 is accurate for April to June.

"This was the scene of my first rally speech. Right? The crowds were so big, almost as big as tonight."

Trump's first campaign stop was New Hampshire. Also, his first one in Arizona was capped at 4,200 people by the fire marshal. whom Trump attacked.

"The only times they show the crowds is when there is a disrupter."

Blatantly false.

"Arizona is a disaster in terms of the price increase in terms of insurance. 116 percent increase."

True, but cherry picking. AZ is the worst in the nation, but as one of the poorer states, benefits heavily from subsidies Trump has threatened to end.

"We’ve also obtained (a) historic increase in defense spending."

Half of Reagan's, multiple times.

Border "down 78 and almost 80 percent"

Border apprehensions are down, but half that amount. 46 percent is a big number and there was no logical reason to exaggerate it.

The New York Times, "they practically apologized."

*LOUD ANNOYING BUZZER* Flat-out never happened.

Says CNN "fired Jeffrey Lord, poor Jeffrey. Jeffrey Lord. I guess he was getting a little bit fed-up and he was probably fighting back a little too hard."

Lord was fired for tweeting "Sieg Hiel". CNN was hardly ambiguous.

Trump also claimed CNN and maybe others cut live coverage of his rally. That, of course, did not happen.

"There aren't too many people outside protesting." there were thousands

And, of course, this:

“[Arpaio] should have had a jury, but I’ll make a prediction: He’ll be just fine,” Trump said. “But I won’t do it tonight, because I don’t want to cause any controversy.”

First of all, prosecutors argued Arpaio would turn the situation into a media circus and asked the judge to deny a trial by jury. The judge agreed. In case people don't remember.

Secondly, it will cause controversy no matter when it happens. But the mayor and the governor both asked him not to.

Finally, that hint is, of course, just to keep his base happy. The pardon might never happen. Trump routinely does not pay people to which he is contractually required. Remember that time he offered to pay legal fees to people who attacked protesters at his rallies? And then one of them did, and Trump paid nothing?

And Trump's supporters are circulating this image

they say is of the rally crowd. It's a fake taken from Cleveland, which has 100% less dessert than Phoenix.

Last word on the subject: in his rally, Trump attacked the media as usual (no surprise there), Mitch McConnell about the Russian investigation (EDIT: unrelated to rally my bad), and both local Senators.

EDIT: Sorry, one more, forgot to mention: Trump said he is ready to shut down the government over Wall funding.
    Last edited by Breccia; 2017-08-23 at 05:29 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    Fuck me, he just re-tweeted this:

"Meanwhile: 39 shootings in Chicago this weekend, 9 deaths. No national media outrage. Why is that?"

Does this man have no shame at all? Does he now have to retweet alt-right talking points?
    whats wrong with tweeting about the uncontrolled violence going on in Chicago, i dont get it. how is that alt-right?

So he didn't go entirely off-script and announce the pardon, but he announced that he'll probably be doing it once things have "calmed down". Still contradicting the White House who said there would be "no discussion of that today".

So I didn't win that bet, @Breccia, but I don't think I lost it either : P

Quote Originally Posted by Conor McGregor View Post
    whats wrong with tweeting about the uncontrolled violence going on in Chicago, i dont get it. how is that alt-right?
    At the very least, it's concern trolling. They only ever care about Chicago violence insofar as it can be used to distract away from something else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Because he is trying to deflect from the bullshit he stepped in last Saturday?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    So I didn't win that bet, @Breccia, but I don't think I lost it either
    I accept that it is a tie. Regardless, the issue about when he pardons -- if he does -- won't make it any less of a dog whistle and will likely add to the pile of things even his own party is attacking him for.

Oh, and attacking Mitch McConnell just before saying he would shut down the government over Wall funding...man, that's asking for it. McConnell could very easily leave that poison pill out of the equation, and hand it to Trump, stand there, and wait, a small smile upon his turtle beak. It would be interesting (to say the least) if Trump is 100% personally responsible for shutting down the government.

The most realistic thing I've seen so far, is another "continuing resolution" thing to punt another six months.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    At the very least, it's concern trolling. They only ever care about Chicago violence insofar as it can be used to distract away from something else.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orbitus View Post
    Because he is trying to deflect from the bullshit he stepped in last Saturday?
    man, he probably shot those 39 people himself. only killed 9 though... hes not even a good shot. NOT MY POTUS

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Well let's take a quick look:

Fact-checking President Donald Trump’s campaign rally in Phoenix

"Economic growth has surged to 2.6 percent … Remember I said we’re going to try and hit 3 percent, we’re already at 2.6 percent, maybe I’ll have to increase my offer."

Trump said 4 percent. 2.6 is accurate for April to June.

LOL at 2.6% for ONE FUCKING QUARTER YOU DUMB MOTHER FUCKING SON OF AN ORANGE HAIR ORANGUTAN RETARD. The 3% talking point the right-wing media criticize Obama for was for an entire year, not a single quarter, not 4 back to back quarters, 1 fucking regular year. After putting up shit numbers like Trump's Q1 1% you usually bounce back higher. GOOD FUCKING LUCK hitting 3% annual GDP growth for 2017. Clearly his base is dumb enough to buy this BS since they already bought his ONE MILLION NEW JERBS and lowering unemployment from 40% down to 4%.

10+ Year Old Account
    man, he probably shot those 39 people himself. only killed 9 though... hes not even a good shot. NOT MY POTUS
    That easily the dumbest strawman I've seen in months.

It doesn't even make sense in the context of the discussion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    That easily the dumbest strawman I've seen in months.

It doesn't even make sense in the context of the discussion.
    everything is out of context if you only read 3 posts in a 11 page thread..

gen-ot college of shitposting? cant even spot shitposting? did you fucking drop out of shitposting school?

if this was a different time, I would invade your favela on horseback, and would kill anyone who wasn’t fit to work, but we’re in a new time, so I’ll just shitpost instead
    Last edited by Fat Mac; 2017-08-23 at 11:51 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    everything is out of context if you only read 3 posts in a 11 page thread..

gen-ot college of shitposting? cant even spot shitposting? did you fucking drop out of shitposting school?

if this was a different time, I would invade your favela on horseback, and would kill anyone who wasn’t fit to work, but we’re in a new time, so I’ll just shitpost instead
    No, I got Doctorate from it, however it looks like you found your diploma at the bottom of a cereal box.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, I got Doctorate from it, however it looks like you found your diploma at the bottom of a cereal box.
    just proved my point, thx. some first grade shit there

Sometimes the truth hurts. It hurts because you have a weakness - and I exploit weakness

[Infracted]
    Last edited by God Save The King; 2017-08-23 at 05:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    ABC News comments on the rally...and they're not in a caring mood.

THE TAKE with ABC News' Rick Klein

Raise your hand if you thought Afghanistan was the only war he was committing to this week. A day after President Trump called on the nation to "heal our divisions within," and where he sent thousands of additional Americans into combat, he spent 80-plus wild minutes picking at the nation's freshest wounds. He outlined an ambitious fall campaign, if that's what it should be called: Pardon former Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio, shut down the government to get the border wall, end NAFTA, campaign against Republican senators, rage against the "sick people" in the media, and maybe protect Confederate monuments along the way. The fact that he was eager to relitigate his response to Charlottesville – to suggest, falsely, that it was just a matter of the "dishonest media" twisting his words – displays a stunning lack of understanding about the severity of the damage he did last week, to himself, his party, and maybe the nation. In understanding Trump's strategy, tallying the deceptions, half-truths, non-truths, and selective recitation of nonfacts isn't close to enough. Perhaps he can deceive himself, and even get many of what remain of his followers in the same frenzied place as he was in Phoenix Tuesday night. But President Trump is getting smaller even as he gets louder. "Most people think I'm crazy to have done this," Trump said Tuesday night, of his decision to seek the presidency. "And I think they're right."

OLD HABITS DIE HARD

Among the odder parts of Tuesday night's rally was the way President Trump repeatedly seemed to be having internal conversations with his staff out loud. "Please, please Mr. President, don't mention any names," he said. He seemed to briefly weigh how much code and subtlety to use on racially charged, explosive topics, only to land, time and again, without the codes. He said he was told not to pardon former Arizona Sheriff Joe Arpaio because a pardon would cause too much of a stir when the country was so raw. But he had to make sure his fans knew where he stood. "I won't do it tonight, because I do not want to cause any controversy. Is that OK? But, Sheriff Joe can feel good." There's the KKK, sure, but he wanted to startle America Tuesday night about the so-called anti-fascists on the other side who have a stated goal of protesting white supremacists and neo-Nazis, sometimes violently. "They show up in the helmets and the black masks and they've got clubs, they've got everything. 'Antifa,' " the president bellowed, seeming to know exactly what he was doing, ABC News' MaryAlice Parks writes.

QUOTE OF THE DAY

"If we have to close down our government, we're building that wall." -- President Trump
    Bolded for emphasis. Trump did not mention Flake by name, but was very specific in calling out Arizona's "other" Senator, after calling out Arizona's Senator who voted against TrumpCare. Besides, when attacking them both, it hardly matters if he spells out the name or not. Then he followed that with " I will not mention any names — very presidential." and "See, I haven't mentioned any names, so now everybody's happy." And yes, the 80 minutes he spent trying to tell people he's not a racist because he condemned American Nazis and the KKK from a piece of paper several days later and one time out of four was over half the rally.

- - - Updated - - -

Trump has been quite vocal that Arpaio was just doing his job. Maybe he's desperate to keep Sheriff Joe because he's having so much trouble replacing him.

Border Patrol ventures to county fairs, country music festivals to recruit agents

Oh, you think the headline is funny? Just wait.

Tens of thousands of fans came to the WE Fest in Detroit Lakes, Minnesota, for the country music. Customs and Border agent Tony Thortsen, however, came to the WE Fest for the tens of thousands of fans.

Festival-goer Crystal Bridgers was intrigued by the recruiting booth.

"I was shocked that this was here," she said. "I never really thought I'd get a job here."

The agency -- an arm of U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) -- has struggled to hire the 5,000 agents President Trump requested to help secure the Mexican border. So the CBP got creative and is venturing into the heartland to Spartan Races, county fairs and country music festivals.

Former Army infantryman Shane Flodeen says it makes sense.

"There's a lot of people here, they love this country. You'll see American flags scattered through every camp site you go to," he said.

But the agency is also having a hard time finding applicants who can pass a polygraph test. By its own admission, 75 percent of them failed. The agency now offers a shorter polygraph test, and allows waivers from the test for law enforcement and the military.

"We looked at all the steps in the hiring process," said Acting Deputy CBP Commissioner Ronald Vitiello.

"We're looking for people who are looking to do important work on behalf of the country and protecting America and that can make it through the hiring steps," he said.

But the last time Border Patrol aggressively increased recruiting, after 9/11, the CBP didn't have polygraph tests. It was plagued by corrupt and violent agents.

Vitiello said that's why finding the right recruits, who can handle the rigors of what can be a lonely and sometimes intense job, is crucial.
    Bolded for that's the funny part. Not only has ICE had problems with drug tests, now the vast majority of their applicants can't pass a poiygraph test, so those requirements are being lowered, too. Incidentally, 75% is up from last year.

Trump is so desperate for his ICE promise, that he's intentionally hiring drug users and liars. And it's not like they were saints before 2016, either.

10+ Year Old Account

Sometimes the truth hurts. It hurts because you have a weakness - and I exploit weakness
    I'm sure you do.

10+ Year Old Account

The fun part, Trump is exploiting your weakness.

https://mobile.twitter.com/i/moments...5949100032?m=1

It's not like you'd care if he actually shot anyone. He knows he has you whipped and you dance along. Since he tricked you in following him, the guy could kill 9 people and you won't care. He knows how good of a lap dog you are and is using you to meet his ends. But, here you are... on an Internet gaming forum... exploiting weaknesses... top kek...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

15+ Year Old Account

Hmm you really are just shit posting here. Well at least you're honest about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    ... I went to the jerk store and they are running out of you!...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    ... I went to the jerk store and they are running out of you!...
    Rare limited special edition jerk, now extra jerky

10+ Year Old Account
    Rare limited special edition jerk, now extra jerky
    No!! The reply is "what's the difference, you are their all time best seller!".

https://youtu.be/0KmTTy_MM5w

After that, you reply with 'well, I had sex with your wife!'.