Page 1 of 18
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

"Alt Right" activist asks for Lenin Statue to be removed

Well the alt-right always promised that antifa would provoke them into greater reaction. Now they want to take the beloved Lenin Statue out of Fremont (also know as the Center of the Universe, the Artist's Republic of Fremont).

On Wednesday afternoon, a small group had gathered in front of the monument in Fremont calling for its removal. The group was seemingly led by Jack Posobiec, a pro-Donald Trump conspiracy theorist and self-described online "alt-right" activist.

Though irony seems to be consistently lost on the Alt-Right. The Lenin Statue is on private property and held in trust by the Fremont Chamber of Commerce. They're holding it for sale, asking $250,000.

So much for the Tolerant Right... Property Rights for that matter!

The statue was toppled in 1989 after the Velvet Revolution toppled communism in Czechoslovakia, and that's when Lewis Carpenter found it in a scrapyard. The English teacher from Issaquah then mortgaged his house to purchase and transport the statue to Washington in 1993 before Carpenter's death in 1994.
    Issaquah debated displaying the statue before eventually deciding against it, and Carpenter's family planned to sell it to a Fremont foundry to melt it down, but Seattle sculptor Peter Bevis instead found a place to display the statue in Fremont until the family found a buyer. The Lenin statue, held in trust by the Fremont Chamber of Commerce, was unveiled on June 3, 1995, two blocks south of its current location.

The statue during happier times at the Annual Solstice Parade.

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    So much for the Tolerant Right... Property Rights for that matter!
    Are you kidding me right now? They gathered in front of it, to speak their (misguided) mind...did you per chance miss the "tolerant left" simply tearing down the statue in durham the other day? As far as tolerance goes, in terms of statues (and property rights, for that matter), the right certainly seems to have won this one, don't they.

7+ Year Old Account
    One of my biggest pet peeves with news organizations these days is their inappropriate choice of picture(s) attached to stories.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    They better not tear it down like the left did to that other statue.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by callipygoustp View Post
    One of my biggest pet peeves with news organizations these days is their inappropriate choice of picture(s) attached to stories.
    Well the only video available was from the self promoting edgelord in fucking portrait mode (landscape people!). And linking the twitter itself is beyond these forums :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Oberyn Martell View Post
    I honestly doubt anyone would even care if it got torn down or removed.

Do they really think that 'antifa' and the (non-existent) 'alt-left' are communism lovers? They really are clueless.
    It's art it shouldn't be torn down because they don't like what it represents. This goes for both sides.

I think communism is a horrible political stance but I don't want to see the statue destroyed over it.
    Last edited by Aeula; 2017-08-17 at 12:06 AM.

If It got taken down the left wouldn't care lol.

Does not compute.
    Im sorry that it doesn't sound clear cut I am trying to say its owned by the government but not the people like you cant access a military base without permission because its private/government property.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    Well the only video available was from the self promoting edgelord in fucking portrait mode (landscape people!). And linking the twitter itself is beyond these forums :/
    The excuse doesn't really matter. Its shoddy work on behalf of the news source, any news source.

Lenin was a loser thus his statue should be destroyed.

10+ Year Old Account
    So it's a privately owned statue on private property? I'm unclear.

If it's on public grounds I'm fine with it being removed and placed in a museum or on private land. If it's already on private land and privately owned then...tough?

Amazingly, the left isn't obsessed with Lenin or communism in general like the South is obsessed with the Confederacy and it's Generals.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Why? Why do they want it removed- because they disagre with Lenin's policies that had next to nothing to do with their lives or history?

All this statue toppling is goddamn nonsense. Those people kicking and punching the statue in Durham was the dumbest shit I have seen in a while.

Motherfuckers, you're enemy is the system that keeps you enslaved to debt and ignorant. That statue is nothing!

Arrgh.

Quote Originally Posted by Taso View Post
    I don't advocate for either side of extremism but they have a point. If tearing down a statue on government private property is acceptable then surely this should be acceptable too.
    "Government private property" doesn't exist. Government property is by definition public.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    Oh private property.

well that ended this entire topic really quickly.
    Yep on private property and maybe for sale.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Smiteyou - lol holy dps

There is a huge difference between government property and private property though as to the legality and morality of these things.

At least when it comes to government property there is at least a strong moral (and sometimes legal) basis that it belongs partially to the people and that they partially should have a say in what is allowed to be on there. Private property however is ironically however supposedly strongly protected by the right-wing, even if it causes harm or discriminates, so I'm confused by the OP more than anything. There doesn't seem to be any ideological honesty and sincerity left anymore in the USA.
    I understand. (: Imho I respect the right to protest and assemble peacefully but the violence from both sides is over rated. I almost feel like were going back to the 1930s.

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    Hey they can put their money where their mouth is and buy the property and melt it down publicly. If I had money and felt as strongly as them that's what i'd do. I'd crowd source that, but I don't really care about Lenin and realize his views of communism isn't what people associate it with.
    That was the original plan for it, but someone decided to preserve it, then they died and I think its been in a trust until a buyer can be found. I think the asking price was 250k.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Smiteyou - lol holy dps

private Vs public property makes this topic stupid, not that I really care weather a statue stands or not.

What's the chances this'll cause a whole wave of Confederate statues to crop up in private properties to one up this?

It's like watching children... <_<;
    Last edited by Daedius; 2017-08-17 at 12:25 AM.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why does a chamber of commerce have a statue of Lenin?

Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Why does a chamber of commerce have a statue of Lenin?
    Because it's being held in trust by the Chamber of Commerce until the owner finds a buyer. It's right there in the italicized text.

3DS Friend Code: 0146-9205-4817. Could show as either Chris or Chrysia.