Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Upgrading from i5 7400 to Ryzen7 1700

Hi All,

I'm looking at upgrading my build in the very near future and I'm basically here seeking validation for my choices, along with whether there may be any unforeseen compatibility issues I haven't considered and generally looking for opinions.

Current Build:
    https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/DYhx3F

Proposed Build
    https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Jon...5/saved/2W67P6

Now to give you some context, I am looking primarily at an upgrade that focuses on improving the workstation capabilities of the build. My initial build didn't take into account I would be streaming whilst gaming as well as regular recording/rendering. My aim is to be able to stream 1080@30 (up from the current 720@30) and to vastly improve rendering times/capabilities

Arguably R7 may be a touch overkill for the other components and an R5 might do, but this is a build I want to last and I intend to upgrade the GPU next year at some point and I'll be look at top end there also.

It's my understanding that ryzen prefers faster memory, given I am already replacing the mobo, CPU & cooler I would like to avoid replacing 2 memory sticks (at the point anyway) - what are the implications of running slower-than-optimal memory? I've got 2400 in there at the moment.

Any input is welcome

Cheers

Seeing as your cerrent rig is already pretty strong for everything you are doing except streaming, you may want to consider an entire second build with a capture card so you can play on yours and nust stream from it. If i ever get back in to streaming that was my plan.

Depends on what you're streaming. You pretty much need a HEDT platform or a secondary PC for rendering to be able to stream AAA games and play them with decent FPS at the same time. Third option is using GPU/iGPU encoding, which will drop the quality somewhat, but will allow you to play pretty much anything and stream it at the same time (you'd still need to upgrade to i7/R5 for that).

EDIT: from a value point of view building a secondary rig for encoding seems to be the best way.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Depends on what you're streaming. You pretty much need a HEDT platform or a secondary PC for rendering to be able to stream AAA games and play them with decent FPS at the same time. Third option is using GPU/iGPU encoding, which will drop the quality somewhat, but will allow you to play pretty much anything and stream it at the same time (you'd still need to upgrade to i7/R5 for that).

EDIT: from a value point of view building a secondary rig for encoding seems to be the best way.
    R5 does not have an iGPU and that technology is attached to Intel.
    So no ... if you want that you're tied to Intel regardless, suggesting an Ryzen 5 will not change that.

That said "QuickSync" when used increases CPU temperatures and still impacts performance... just less than CPU encoding.
    Quality is also notably worse.

I hadn't thought about exploring the potential for a 2nd dedicated streaming/rendering rig, mainly because of space limitations in my room and the additional cost of setting up a new rig.

What would the spec look like?

Requirements would be video rendering using song vegas, streaming 1080 games such as wow, hots, OW, witcher, alien isolation, bio shock with the potential for other AAA games.

Edit: And how logistically does it work, I understand the concept of gaming on rig1 and using a vid capture card in rig 2 to stream out - presumably peripherals such as mouse and keyboard are also required for rig2 - which further makes running a 2nd rig just a bit of pain solely down to available desk top space and cost
    Last edited by Coburn1990; 2017-08-18 at 08:40 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coburn1990 View Post
    I hadn't thought about exploring the potential for a 2nd dedicated streaming/rendering rig, mainly because of space limitations in my room and the additional cost of setting up a new rig.

What would the spec look like?

Requirements would be video rendering using song vegas, streaming 1080 games such as wow, hots, OW, witcher, alien isolation, bio shock with the potential for other AAA games.

Edit: And how logistically does it work, I understand the concept of gaming on rig1 and using a vid capture card in rig 2 to stream out - presumably peripherals such as mouse and keyboard are also required for rig2 - which further makes running a 2nd rig just a bit of pain solely down to available desk top space and cost
    It'd require either that or a KVM switch as well as you needing to use HDMI connectors.
    As well as sound throughputs etc.

It's a bit of a pain/mess but it has the least impact on gaming performance because it's another rig of course.
    I only know the technical details though, you'd have to find someone who's done this for the exact setup requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    It'd require either that or a KVM switch as well as you needing to use HDMI connectors.
    As well as sound throughputs etc.

It's a bit of a pain/mess but it has the least impact on gaming performance because it's another rig of course.
    I only know the technical details though, you'd have to find someone who's done this for the exact setup requirements.
    Ahh ok so with a KVM switch there's no need for an additional keyboard/mouse. That somewhat reduces the space concerns a little.

Can anyone recommend a case suitable for such a build? Something minimal in size, no need for a glass panel or anything - just a tidy minimalist case?

Once I've got that as a starting point I think I can put together a suitable build and get a better idea of cost and whether a 2nd rig it's a reasonable solution

Thanks for the input so far

15+ Year Old Account
    Ahh ok so with a KVM switch there's no need for an additional keyboard/mouse. That somewhat reduces the space concerns a little.

Can anyone recommend a case suitable for such a build? Something minimal in size, no need for a glass panel or anything - just a tidy minimalist case?

Once I've got that as a starting point I think I can put together a suitable build and get a better idea of cost and whether a 2nd rig it's a reasonable solution

Any case will do really... as long as you have the expansion slots for w/e you want to put in it.
    Say a Fractal Design Define S? (non-window sidepanel)

One option, especially if space is a concern, is something like this:
    http://www.phanteks.com/Enthoo-MiniXL-DS.html

It actually houses BOTH the gaming and the streaming PC inside one case.

The way it basically works is, you game on your machine, but your cable that should go to your monitor does not go to your monitor. It goes to the video capture card which then send it off to your KVM switch, which then goes to your monitor. From there, since you already stream, I am sure you can figure it out.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    One option, especially if space is a concern, is something like this:
    http://www.phanteks.com/Enthoo-MiniXL-DS.html

It actually houses BOTH the gaming and the streaming PC inside one case.

The way it basically works is, you game on your machine, but your cable that should go to your monitor does not go to your monitor. It goes to the video capture card which then send it off to your KVM switch, which then goes to your monitor. From there, since you already stream, I am sure you can figure it out.
    Damn... I forgot about that one entirely, and I've been itching to build in that for months.

Expensive as shit though.

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Damn... I forgot about that one entirely, and I've been itching to build in that for months.

Expensive as shit though.
    It's actually not all that expensive now, considering what you get.
    https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

Especially with the Rebate. It is "on sale" though as well. Because of that though, you could not likely get 2 decent separate cases for that price. Though obviously, in the OPs case he could find a cheaper single case.

15+ Year Old Account

Especially with the Rebate. It is "on sale" though as well. Because of that though, you could not likely get 2 decent separate cases for that price. Though obviously, in the OPs case he could find a cheaper single case.
    Except with the case you linked you need to buy the Mini-ITX kit separately as well, it doesn't come included.

Also just to give you an idea of how expensive this is to me:
    http://www.sicomputers.nl/phanteks-e...e-schwarz.html
    http://www.sicomputers.nl/phanteks-e...itx-board.html

Cheapest available here.

The reason I specifically said expensive was due to the fact that the OP is European, his signature states as such.

I'd guess you need something simple with a mesh front. SPEC-03 would be nice if you can find it for sub-$60, other than that SPEC-01 would do, but you're gonna need a 120mm fan with it, it's around $50.

EDIT: Can't say anything about MiniXL-DS, even laid eyes on it or worked with it.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

You linked the single system, the dual system is as follows https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16811854026
    $189

Quote Originally Posted by Bryntrollian View Post
    You linked the single system, the dual system is as follows https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16811854026
    $189
    Oh, wow, guess I did. Oops. Googled the part name from their website and that was the first result. Yeah, it is pricier than I though, obviously, plus the cost of the kit Evil mentioned. Maybe not a good solution for OP. Still something I'd love to use someday myself.

10+ Year Old Account

Not going to go into the hardware detail as too lazy to do that atm.

Basically what you need for the 2nd PC is really just a capture card and the software to use it.
    What you do is on your gaming computer's GPU plug the HDMI out to a capture card's video input. HDMI or DVI with adapter (yes DVI, audio gets captured for certain cards). On your gaming computer, make sure to set the HDMI out to mirror the display, do not extend as that's kind of pointless.
    On the capture computer set up OBS or whatever software you used to get the capture signal.
    You can use remote desktop or just swap the displays around and use a KVM switch if you don't want to keep plugging the mouse / kb back and forth or having two sets.
    Do beware, using Ryzen with an internal capture card will have a necessity for multiple PCI-E slots and expansion slots due to not having an integrated GPU. A low power graphics card would suffice. This means Mini ITX set ups aren't allowed if you use an internal.

https://solarisjapan.com/products/sc...-capture-board SC512 is considered one of the best capture cards but the price kind of reflects that.
    Anyways, Elgato HD60 internal card is supposedly pretty good.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2017-08-18 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Not going to go into the hardware detail as too lazy to do that atm.

Basically what you need for the 2nd PC is really just a capture card and the software to use it.
    What you do is on your gaming computer's GPU plug the HDMI out to a capture card's video input. HDMI or DVI with adapter (yes DVI, audio gets captured for certain cards). On your gaming computer, make sure to set the HDMI out to mirror the display, do not extend as that's kind of pointless.
    On the capture computer set up OBS or whatever software you used to get the capture signal.
    You can use remote desktop or just swap the displays around and use a KVM switch if you don't want to keep plugging the mouse / kb back and forth or having two sets.
    Do beware, using Ryzen with an internal capture card will have a necessity for multiple PCI-E slots and expansion slots due to not having an integrated GPU. A low power graphics card would suffice. This means Mini ITX set ups aren't allowed if you use an internal.

https://solarisjapan.com/products/sc...-capture-board SC512 is considered one of the best capture cards but the price kind of reflects that.
    Anyways, Elgato HD60 internal card is supposedly pretty good.
    Thanks for the info, bit of a pain ryzen doesn't have an integrated GPU - how low can I go when choosing a GPU?

15+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the info, bit of a pain ryzen doesn't have an integrated GPU - how low can I go when choosing a GPU?
    Cheapest pile of garbage you can find, GT710 f.ex. would be fine... you're not going to use it anyway other than for desktop video output.

After speccing out a build for a dedicated streaming system I've decided that although the long term benefits are there, I just can't justify the start up cost of a 2nd rig at the moment.

The discussion has been educational though so thanks to all those who have had input - much appreciated

After speccing out a build for a dedicated streaming system I've decided that although the long term benefits are there, I just can't justify the start up cost of a 2nd rig at the moment.

The discussion has been educational though so thanks to all those who have had input - much appreciated
    Well you have other options: GPU encoding or a HEDT platform.