Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy View Post

Then you didn't read it clearly :P
    Stopping Net Neutrality isn't going to change what Theo has listed as the problem though...if anything it just makes the problem worse. So it really is just rallying against it because Google supports it.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

I don't see why not. If I owned a bakery, I'd have to bake the ISIS gentlemen a cake. Why doesn't Godaddy have to sell them a domain?

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Midnight Bomber View Post
    "I don't really understand what Net Neutrality is...but I know Google supports it and I don't like Google...therefore Net Neutrality must be bad" Is all im getting from this.
    Net neutrality means that ISP (internet service providers) aren't allowed to 'throttle' bandwidth. So for example, say Google takes up 80% of an ISPs bandwidth usage, that ISP can't go to Google and say 'hey you need to pay me extra money for using all this capacity'. Its a really good deal if you are a gigantic data hog like Google or Facebook, but its pretty bad for people who have to pay for their internet since the costs get passed along to the consumers.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

"I don't really understand what Net Neutrality is...but I know Google supports it and I don't like Google...therefore Net Neutrality must be bad" Is all im getting from this.
    It's more like "Google supports feminism and doesn't want Net Neutrality...so let's threaten Google with net neutrality unless they fire all their female software engineers"

Which, you know, makes about as much sense as PETA boycotting maple syrup to protest seal hunting in Canada. It won't work, but it makes "sense", (I guess) so long as you don't mix up net neutrality with feminism. Then people just get confused, and we wind up with a bunch of seals eating maple syrup.

Or something.

Stopping Net Neutrality isn't going to change what Theo has listed as the problem though...if anything it just makes the problem worse. So it really is just rallying against it because Google supports it.
    I think that the idea is, if everyone who supported Trump got behind this because they perceived these companies as being their political enemies, then Net Neutrality could be eliminated within a few days.
    Most people would rather die than think, and most people do. -Bertrand Russell
    Before the camps, I regarded the existence of nationality as something that shouldn’t be noticed - nationality did not really exist, only humanity. But in the camps one learns: if you belong to a successful nation you are protected and you survive. If you are part of universal humanity - too bad for you -Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

10+ Year Old Account
    You seem to know Theo very well for some random person on the internet.

You might be projecting a bit.
    Have you never read her posts or her threads? Lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    To be fair many right wingers don't either.

It's an argument of authoritarianism vs. liberalism. One side wants to control what you can and can't say and the other does not.

- - - Updated - - -

"I think free speech is good"

"We get it, you hate intelligent forward-thinking people"

:thinking:

- - - Updated - - -

I never expect much of an intelligent response to my threads.

But yeah, Many don't want an open and free internet. The trouble for Net Neutrality now as a coalition is its biggest players have revealed that they also don't want a free and open internet.

Meaning the coalition to defend Net Neutrality is in the weird position of really only a some will be able to express themselves in the BEST POSSIBLE outcome of the Net Neutrality fight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

You seem to know Theo very well for some random person on the internet.

You might be projecting a bit.
    I clearly see the word "Demonstrated" there...which makes it an observation of behaviour. Such observations do not require intimate knowledge of the person displaying that behaviour.
    “The biggest communication problem is we do not listen to understand. We listen to reply,” Stephen Covey.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    Doesn't that mean ISPs should be able to charge more for using more of their bandwidth?
    Yeah? Ultimately also the logic of "Well get your own platform" applies to "Get your own ISP and compete".

You don't get to half ass the pretend appeal to free markets.
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    That's a lot of words from the OP, to basically just whine that conservatives are victims.
    As mainstream culture marches ever leftward, you too one day will be a conservative whether you like it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Ethris View Post
    As mainstream culture marches ever leftward, you too one day will be a conservative whether you like it or not.
    I am a conservative. However, unlike the OP, I don't try to constantly pretend to be a victim.

Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I think that the idea is, if everyone who supported Trump got behind this because they perceived these companies as being their political enemies, then Net Neutrality could be eliminated within a few days.
    My point is that eliminating Net Neutrality doesn't fix the alleged problem.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    The fear is that you pay more for the same speed and even more if you want to go faster rather than the idea that you can keep your current speed for the same price and pay more to go faster.
    Ah that makes sense thanks.

Than what would happen then hypothetically speaking?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    To be fair many right wingers don't either.

It's an argument of authoritarianism vs. liberalism. One side wants to control what you can and can't say and the other does not.

- - - Updated - - -

"I think free speech is good"

"We get it, you hate intelligent forward-thinking people"

:thinking:

- - - Updated - - -

Did you even think about "free speech" applying to private individuals for more than 2 seconds? "Employee X says something homophobic; oh well, can't fire him or even reprimand him cuz free speech." "Employee Y is a nazi; oh well, can't do anything cuz free speech." There's a reason it's applied to the government via the Constitution for a reason.

7+ Year Old Account
    Nothing fixes the alleged problem of abusing power, only hurts the specific abuser in question by denying them what they want.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just to get this right. You don't really oppose net neutrality, but as some of the bigger players in the alliance of it are considered censoring specific opinions, you cannot stand with them, and are therefore supporting the removal of equal access to the internet?

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    The point they are making though is that what people want to stop ISPs from doing via net neutrality is exactly the kind of thing that google is doing, minus the extortion. So saying you support Net Neutrality because you don't want ISPs to discriminate against data and then allowing basically the only search engine people use to block free expression is the same thing.
    Except not because I'm forced to use Comcast but I am free to use Yahoo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    Nothing fixes the alleged problem of abusing power, only hurts the specific abuser in question by denying them what they want.
    They'd still benefit over you, the common person.

All you'd be doing is shooting yourself in the foot because you're angry for whatever reason that Google is shutting down a legitimate nazi website and ADVERTISERS are demonetizing your favorite PJW videos

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    And if you hurt yourself in the process...what good comes from that?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dug View Post
    They'd still benefit over you, the common person.
    As was always going to be the case. So unimportant.