Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account

"Game moments" that made you fall in love with a game.

Hello champions, good to see you all.

So, I've been thinking about some game moments that really made me fall in love with certain games.

Some examples are:

• The bathroom "meme" in the original Deus Ex
    • The first (and last) time that Cornered played in Phoenix Wright
    • My first glorykill in Doom 2016
    • Finishing Zero Escape: The Nonary Games with the bad ending (before getting the safe and true ending)
    • Getting Dominated by Sebastian Lacroix in Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines.

And you? What moments come to mind that made you fall in love with a certain game?

Theres lots of them i could mention from a lot of fantastic games but theres a standout one i love from a game not nearly enough people played.

-Play Bravely Second End Layer
    -Everyone wonders what the subtitle means
    -Get to what looks like the final fight
    -Boss is too strong and kicks the shit out of the party
    -All seems lost
    -Party turns to the screen and talks to you directly, begging you to come and help them in their darkest hour
    -Get a game over and the formerly black start screen is now white showing more letters that were hidden before
    -"Bravely Second sEnd pLayer"
    -You are now part of the story as you go back in time and convince all the deva tier sub bosses of the big bad you killed to come to a peaceful resolution, see the error of their ways which weakens his forces and they join you to fight for peace.

Lots of games do great stuff. Any Kojima or Taro game along has so many moments but this is one where it went from typical jrpg to something that truly stood out as a memorable experience.

The giraffe scene in Last of Us
    I can't quite place where it was in Mass Effect 2, but I know at some point I fell in love with that game

I'll list a few from some of my favorite games:

1) Xenogears - I was hooked from the second I saw the box art, but when I put that disc in and watched that opening anime I was like O_O. The gameplay started off slow and grounded, but by the time I had hit Kislev and watched the party finally come together in the wake of the terror I was enthralled and couldn't put the game down until I finished. I just had to know who all these characters were. The secrets of the gears, and what the end game was.

2) FF7 - I know I know. But seriously, that opening mission?! That was absolutely mind blowing to me as a 11 year old. The FMV that literally scaled into the opening of the game as you flip in was insane. Then the game throws you in the shit with infiltrating the reactor and the whole Midgar beginning was top notch IMO.

3) Legend of the Dragoon - The very first time I transformed into a dragoon and witnessed that scene and my newfound power I was blown away. It was like all my childhood (granted I was a young teen then) had come true into a game that I always wanted.

4) Super Mario RPG - Getting Bowser on your team made my day. I always liked Bowser from the Mario games, and getting him on my team, in the height of my formative years, in an RPG (a genre that I was just falling in love with at the time) AND he uses Mario and Chain Chomp as a weapon?! Sign me the hell up.

5) Legend of Legaia - I loved a lot about the game from the getgo. The music the gameplay, the graphics, the idea of a almost alien/god like entity wrapped around your arm that actually GROWS and changes in appearance with you as you both grow stronger, coupled with the summons of like final fantasy? However the piece that REALLY hooked me was the first time I tried to combine Arts together and could create unique combos. I was hooked from there on out leveling and unlocking new moves and writing down in my notepad all the combo's I had figured out I could combine.

edit: 6) I wanted to add Bloodborne here. I played it after DS3 because I ended up REALLY like DS3 and wanted to try the other ones (played the old kings field, but never jumped on the DS train). The part where you kill Rom and come outside and the world is different hooked me hard. I knew shit was going down that I wanted and needed to know more about. Seeing the Old Ones just sitting there watching, and the ones who occasionally attack was very nerve wracking and exciting.

7) Silent Hill 2/3 - Seeing Pyramid Head for the first time had me hooked. I needed to know what that thing was, why it was there and what it was doing. Then later on the elevator/radio scene and some others really made me love that game. For 3, that opening. Nuff said. I still jump at the coaster.
    Last edited by Wrecktangle; 2017-08-17 at 07:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    1. When Doom Slayer threw the monitor across the room as it was giving exposition in DOOM 2016 and that beautiful music starts to play
    2. The Bloody Baron questline in Witcher 3
    3. Prince Sidon
    4. The Cinematics for Overwatch
    5. The mages guild quests in Oblivion
    6. Whiterun in Skyrim.... I love Belethor.
    7. The first 5 minutes of Saints row 4
    8. Axiom Verge once things started to pick up a bit
    Last edited by GennGreymane; 2017-08-17 at 07:17 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    There are quite a lot.

but one more recently - playing through the "tutorial/prologue" part of an Anime looking game and it going into a Full Anime Opening theme intro.

Actually made me a bit giggly at how cool it was.

Quote Originally Posted by Diggster View Post
    The giraffe scene in Last of Us
    I can't quite place where it was in Mass Effect 2, but I know at some point I fell in love with that game
    The funny thing is, I fell in love with The Last of Us before the game was even out. I remember two things that made me think "I'm going to like this" watching that initial gameplay at I think E3 where the player runs out of bullets and the enemy goes "I know that sound" and just rushes you and you smack his head into a counter or something. That entire game had me loving it start to finish. It's part of why I bought a PS4 and a 4k, in preparation for the next one.

10+ Year Old Account
    First entering Hyrule Field in Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    Learning how big the world was outside of the starting zone in World of Warcraft, when I first played it back in 2005
    The moments I laughed at the humor in Banjo Kazooie.
    Fighting skeletons on the back on a Giant Eagle on Golden Axe
    Playing Sam & Max: Hit the Road and feeling like I was playing a Saturday morning cartoon
    The manual for Warcraft 2: Tides of Darklness/Beyond the Dark Portal. That thing was huge and had so much lore inside. It was basically my bible when I was a kid.
    The feeling of joy at creating my own Dungeon like something out of a choose your own adventure book in Dungeon Keeper
    The economy management in Stronghold, raising taxes and reducing rations, plus the atmosphere in the game was brilliant.
    Raising an army of skeletons as a Necromancer in Diablo 2.
    Getting the wing cap in Mario 64 for the firs time and just flying over the Bob-omb Battlefield
    The multiplayer mode with friends on Mario Kart 64.
    Entering Flotsam for the firs time in Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings. It really felt like a live port town, I spent so long there.
    The great opening ofWitcher 3
    Growing an attachment to my troops in X-Com 2.
    Killing Orcs in Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor. my god it was so fun!
    Last edited by Orby; 2017-08-18 at 05:16 PM.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

Mass Effect 3 opening with the initial assault of reapers.

MGS1 death's of Sniper Wolf

FFVII intro mission

Souh Park SoT the vry moment i installed it

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't have any. I'll like a game a lot till I hear a certain song. Luckily in automata it's literally the first song in the game

The finest music in games of all time.

Wandering in to Westfall and Redridge Mountains in WoW, both of which while under level 10 when I was 13 y.o, back in 2006 with game sound/music on. It was the first MMO I played and it had an impact on me right there. It was like discovering an entire world (which it technically was). I didn't dare defy the games opening tips though, so I kept to the paths.

How about in Bastion, when you finally reach the "Singer" whose song has been weaving in and out the whole time you make your way towards the center ?

And since someone mentioned Mass Effect 2... when I finished the demo for it, I immediately went and purchased Mass Effect 1, completed it, so that I could start Mass Effect 2. The "opening" to Mass Effect 2 is great.

This level in "DMC: Devil may cry" made me love the game, the music/visual effects/pacing were all just right.

How Mass Effect became my favorite game ever.

10+ Year Old Account
    Finding a tabby slime in Slime rancher.

I know a lot of people love to hate on FF X but the scene where they kiss... /tear I remember seeing this cut scene and bawling my eyes out lol

Quote Originally Posted by Sykol View Post
    God, some of these people make me wish I was a woman so I could go around aborting babies all willy-nilly just to piss them off.

I have to agree with Video Games on this, that music makes or breaks that moment.

Hence why one of mine is as simple as the Toriel fight in Undertale.

A more recent one would probably be the Kamoshida fight in Persona 5, along with Yusuke's awakening.

Witcher 3 fields of novigrad
    Wow legion: pre legion audiobook
    Wow vanilla: the barrens
    Destiny: first exotic and then again after the first raid
    Skyrim: walking out of the starting area
    Oblivion: meeting the thieves guild
    Halo: legendary with the bros
    Halo 2: e3 trailer

I cannot wait until es6.
    Last edited by Flaks; 2017-08-19 at 03:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

The Landing from FF8, blew my 6 year old mind with it's transition from cutscene to gameplay.
    The entirety of "The Covenant" in Halo 3
    The intro of Dead Space 2

Mass Effect: When you first arrive on the Citadel. Its just like...WOW, I really am at the heart of a future galactic civilization.

Final Fantasy IV: "You spoony bard!" Come on who didn't love that?

World of Warcraft: Walking into Stormwind for the first time. When you hear that epic music... "ohhh ohhh ohhh" like OMG this is amazing.