Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

'Star Wars' Obi-Wan Kenobi Film in the Works

Oscar-nominated filmmaker Stephen Daldry is in early talks for the film, which would center on the Jedi master who has been played by both Alec Guinness and Ewan McGregor.

Stephen Daldry is Star Wars’ newest hope.

The Oscar-nominated director behind Billy Elliot and The Hours is in early talks to direct a Star Wars stand-alone movie centering on Obi-Wan Kenobi, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

Sources say talks are at the earliest of stages and that the project has no script. If a deal makes, Daldry would oversee the development and writing with Lucasfilm brass.

The Obi-Wan Kenobi stand-alone is one of several projects being developed by Lucasfilm and Disney that fall outside the trilogies telling the saga of the Skywalker family. A Han Solo movie is now in the final stages of shooting under new director Ron Howard, and Lucasfilm is also considering movies centering on Yoda and bounty hunter Boba Fett, among other characters.

In the original Star Wars trilogy, Kenobi is a desert-dwelling and war-weary hermit who later proves to be a wise and powerful warrior, brandishing a lightsaber. He is briefly a mentor to a young Luke before being cut down by Darth Vader, his former pupil. Alec Guinness' portrayal of Kenobi garnered him an Oscar nomination.

The character played a central role in the George Lucas-directed prequels, which recount the origin of Vader and his betrayal of Kenobi and the Jedis. McGregor, who played the younger Kenobi in the prequels, has said he would be open to playing the character again. Sources stress, however, that since there is no script, no actor is attached.

Daldry hails from the theater world and made his feature debut with Billy Elliot, which netted him his first directing Oscar nomination. He followed that up with searing dramas The Hours and The Reader, which also netted him directing nominations.

He most recently directed episodes of Netflix’s period drama The Crown, which garnered him an Emmy nomination.
    http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp...-talks-1030505

Milking it so hard.

another star wars film, im shocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    Milking it so hard.
    Well I like milk.

Ewan McCregor was EASILY the best part of the middle trilogy. And I really want to see what he can do with that character when he has a good story behind it.

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Fuck yes. As long as they get Ewan to do it. Easy Money.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by talwynn View Post
    Ewan McCregor was EASILY the best part of the middle trilogy. And I really want to see what he can do with that character when he has a good story behind it.
    This. Wouldn't mind some more. And who knows, it might surprise us as much as Rogue One did.

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Except I am not watching or paying for them anymore. And that is me a huge Star Wars Fan since 1977....and they eventually totally lost me completely with the milking shit.
    Yup, I know the feeling.
    That's kinda why I used the expression "Milking" and not "continue to make really good, successful movies that keep me engaged".

Granted, all these can be stellar movies. But, from personal experience, so many movies coming out, especially coming from the same universe, does seem like a lot of lower quality clutter, being carried in the name of the main attraction.

They should have just canned the Han movie and made this one first anyway. I mean they really cant fuck it up. Everybody loves Ewan as Obiwan. Ewan said multiple times hed drop anything to be Obiwan again. So you have your main actor that everybody loves and hes been asking himself to play his character again for years now. Sounds like a logical movie to make, unlike random Han Solo movie.

Deleted
    As much as I like Obi-wan and Ewan Mcgregor's portrayal of him, I'll never understand why so many people even want stand alone movies for every god damn character that was somewhat memorable. It cheapens the characters and the mystery surrounding them.
    And what will the movie even be about, his most important life events have already been portrayed both on film and television. Or is it just gonna be 2 hours of him living in the desert...

Quote Originally Posted by Raego View Post
    As much as I like Obi-wan and Ewan Mcgregor's portrayal of him, I'll never understand why so many people even want stand alone movies for every god damn character that was somewhat memorable. It cheapens the characters and the mystery surrounding them.
    And what will the movie even be about, his most important life events have already been portrayed both on film and television. Or is it just gonna be 2 hours of him living in the desert...
    Highly depends on the character, imho. I'd like Obi Wan to be explored a little more - the character has so much more to offer. Han Solo, on the other hand, works well with what we know about him. But that's just up to personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkeon View Post
    Milking it so hard.
    for years, people have always said they wanted more movies within the star wars universe, expanding it.

so like, i like that they're doing it, i just hate that they aren't even gonna at least use the old EU stuff as a base.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hope it takes part throughout the saga. I don't think we need another "Right before episode IV" stand alone movie.
    Last edited by zEmini; 2017-08-17 at 11:33 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hopefully it bridges between Ep1 and 2

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    Fuck yes. As long as they get Ewan to do it. Easy Money.
    Except that he is very much done with Star Wars and its fans. All people do is push their merch at him to sign so that they can increase the value of their collectibles. He's a good actor, I don't think he's hurtin for cash and so desperate that he'd take a movie for which he hates the fans.

Then again... stranger things have happened.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by talwynn View Post
    How high are your hopes that Disney would let someone create a good story?

Quote Originally Posted by A dot Ham View Post
    Except that he is very much done with Star Wars and its fans. All people do is push their merch at him to sign so that they can increase the value of their collectibles. He's a good actor, I don't think he's hurtin for cash and so desperate that he'd take a movie for which he hates the fans.

Then again... stranger things have happened.
    He said in an interview last year that he is interested in doing an Obi-Wan movie.

Could be good. Imo Rogue 1 was a lot better than Ep 7 and with the crap lore the saga trilogy seems to be drawing from I look forward to the stand-alones more. Kenobi as a young and rebellious but good jedi sounds interesting.

Deleted
    ... really now.

Can we please get one Dark Side movie ... without the Sith, Darth Vader, Darth Maul, Stormtroopers, this franchise would be long dead.

But no, go ahead and make another 343522 movies about the retarded Rebels ...

Obi-Wan ... really ... I bet they're making Leia movie after ... -.-

Why do people want a han or obi stand alone movie? they're both boring characters, make a god damn Darth vader stand alone movie after his turn and his hunt for the remaining jedi, end of rogue one...but 2 hours of it