Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I knew that playing hunter with a gun makes me stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Video games in general aren't good for you. Something that people on this website have a hard time accepting for obvious reasons.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Video games in general aren't good for you. Something that people on this website have a hard time accepting for obvious reasons.
    Why would people accept the word of those who've no clue what they're talking about?

The researchers said that those players who tended to orientate themselves in video games using landmarks rather than remembering directions were likely to benefit from playing, however these were in the minority.
    This confused me. I would expect this to be the most meaningfully way to get around.

Apparently the caudate nucleus and hippocampus compete for spatial memory duties in people and for whatever reason gamers are twice as likely to rely primarily on the CN instead of the hippocampus. Haven't found a proper explanation as to why.

Interestingly the caudate nucleus is also the reward center of the brain and is linked with drug addiction. Lol. Blizzard slot machine exploiting gamer brain #confirmed.

- - - Updated - - -

They can have a number of positive effects (hand eye coordination, reaction time / attention, memory, problem solving, some more interactive games can assist in warding off dementia).

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    97 people. only played 90hrs and the 90 hours wasn't even all on the shooters..

Thats like.. 2 weeks of gaming for most people. Study sounds like bogus shit.
    2weeks?

U ment 4 days right?
    PROUD TRUMP SUPPORTER, #2024Trump #MAGA
    PROUD TRUMP CAMPAIGN SUPPORTER #SaveEuropeWithTrump
    PROUD SUPPORTER OF THE WALL
    BLUE LIVES MATTER
    NO TO ALL GUNCONTROL OR BACKGROUND CHECKS IN EUROPE
    /s

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frolk View Post
    2weeks?

U ment 4 days right?
    maybe if you are a hardcore gamer that doesn't sleep for days in a row. But most people would take 2 weeks to get through 90 hours of gaming at a good pace.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    Why would people accept the word of those who've no clue what they're talking about?
    cuz they said so? and they're no it all's?

10+ Year Old Account
    They recruited 51 men and 46 women and asked them to play a variety of popular shooter games like Call of Duty, Killzone and Borderlands 2, as well as so-called 3D games such as Super Mario, for a total of 90 hours.
    100 people for 90 hours. That's like... saying 'playing video games EVER will KILL you'. 90 hours is what a lot of people will burn through in a month. All this shows is that it causes minor changes for a temporary time, nothing more. I'm pretty sure I've literally done more 'study' than the entire study in my own time.

Also news, when you eat food, you're heaving immediately after eating it. Recent studies also show that water in some instances may prove to be wet.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Playing a lot...what is a lot...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Dracula View Post
    maybe if you are a hardcore gamer that doesn't sleep for days in a row. But most people would take 2 weeks to get through 90 hours of gaming at a good pace.
    I pulled long hours when I was a teenager, I find it hard to believe even an adult can get 90 hours in 2 weeks. I get 10 hours in tops a week.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    I posted an article, bolded some important parts and kept the same title for accuracy.
    Yes you bolded 3 paragraphs without actually reading the article.

Congrats

10+ Year Old Account
    Remind me why this flame-baiting reposter hasn't been perma-banned yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombiebob
    I'm still waiting on someone to tell me where all these people that suddenly care about Warrior balance were during Cataclysm when they were blow up dolls with plate armor on.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterx2202 View Post
    Stop complaining to solve your lack of ability, and start reading and practicing to gain ability. Stop trying to bring people down to your level instead of striving to raise yours.

10+ Year Old Account
    I posted an article, bolded some important parts and kept the same title for accuracy.
    No, you intentionally made a clickbait title and misrepresented the article and study. Nothing about your post is accurate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    I recommend some ice for your feet mate. With the trail of hot takes you're leaving in this thread they must be burning.

Deleted
    I heard starting threads without reading article damages brain. Or was it from preexisting brain damage? Study is inconclusive because of only 1 participant.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistame View Post
    I know for sure that I'm not the only person on this website who almost destroyed their life through a World of Warcraft addiction so I'm pretty sure I have some clue about what I'm talking about.

- - - Updated - - -

Also the amount of hours that unemployed men in the US spend playing video games is truly pathetic.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Another study found that if a study has a sample size below at least 1000 then the study results can be ignored.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

I know for sure that I'm not the only person on this website who almost destroyed their life through a World of Warcraft addiction so I'm pretty sure I have some clue about what I'm talking about.
    oh wow, that sounds like a personal problem, and not one that's reflective of video games, at all.

Deleted
    Yup,

and playing WoW makes you another copy of Breivink,
    playing Doom makes you a highschool shooter,
    and gaming makes you a white supremacist chanting Hitler is the greatest and giving Nazi salutes.

When will the media stop trashtalking gamers in general. Each human has a switch that needs to be flicked before doing something insane. That flicking of a switch can be caused by multiple things. Gaming violence, car violence, parents dying... so maybe we should suggest that we should all be born in tubes and be kept alone in a locked room to make sure we don't become influenced by whatever it is in this world that triggers the switch.

And brain damage can get caused by almost anything... watching horror movies, watching SpongeBob... Let's just not live all together

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Especially considering the article totally misrepresent the study.

It actually says that shooters exercise the rapid response and reflex part of your brain, while not exercising the long term planning part.
    So does that mean I'm safe with my empire building and 4X games?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2...tudy-suggests/

Whew. I barely play games with shooting so I should be fine. How about you?
    Do you just believe everything you read on a news website, at face value??

...wait, this is Tennisace. Of course he does.

10+ Year Old Account
    Title is very incorrect.

It doesn't damage the brain, it promotes development in a different area.

This isn't an issue with shooters (despite that being what they tested), it's about extremely linear games that have little to no thought process needed on how to progress from one point to the next... If you put the player in an open world shooter like Fallout, it would not have this effect, nor would large scale multiplayer like Battlefield, ARMA, PUBG, Planetside2, etc. because those games don't push you down a corridor, pop targets up directly infront of you and tell you exactly where to go and what to do like the single player campaigns of CoD, Killzone, and Borderlands2, which are all very linear games.

This is a linear game issue, not a shooter issue.
    Last edited by Schattenlied; 2017-08-18 at 07:00 AM.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.